Local website address without using wamp

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Local website address without using wamp

Post by FuzMic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi gurus

Joomla is great, i stick to it as it is very versatile.

Is it possible to convert the website plus its MySql database to package within the PC so that the browser can interact with the website without going through Wamp.

I am using Wamp Server as localhost to test and develop it. When it is completed, i want convert it, placing it within the user's PC so that he can use it through his browser as an application. Your help much, much appreciated.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Local website address without using wamp

Post by xfsgpr » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:10 am

FuzMic wrote:Hi gurus

Joomla is great, i stick to it as it is very versatile.

Is it possible to convert the website plus its MySql database to package within the PC so that the browser can interact with the website without going through Wamp.

I am using Wamp Server as localhost to test and develop it. When it is completed, i want convert it, placing it within the user's PC so that he can use it through his browser as an application. Your help much, much appreciated.
The user pc will also need a WAMP server or something similar like XAMPP. Better still why not put it online? You can get many free webhosts and they will be quite suitable for your needs. I am assuming you are doing something as a hobby. Also, Bluehost have very good deals to get you online.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks xfs. In frontpage we can publish the website as filesystem, so are you saying unless we have wamp or xampp, the website can be running on a local pc.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:42 am

You need to have a webserver and MySQL environment running to be able to see Joomla (or any other CMS so far as I'm aware) on a local PC.

I haven't used Frontpage for more years that I care to remember, but I remember it as producing a largely HTML site - little more than glorified text files - which can be read by any browser on a local PC.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:23 pm

That is correct, you must be running a webserver because Joomla is written in PHP. Browsers only understand HTML and Javascript. The Joomla PHP scripts produce that HTML dynamically. They are not permanently stored. Which is what you would need to turn it into an HTA.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks John & Sov, it is now clear to me why amp or xampP has to be on the local Win PC to serve.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”