Show different phone number for traffic coming via Google Ad

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Yazzi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Show different phone number for traffic coming via Google Ad

Post by Yazzi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:42 am

I have a Joomla 3.4 install and we do a bit of advertising via Google Adwords and want to show a phone number that's different to our standard phone number when somebody enters the website by clicking a link on a Google Adwords ad. (It is hoped that by doing this we can monitor the inbound calls and keep track of how many are new patients so we know if our Google Adwords dollars are well spent)

It can be done, but how?

Is there an extension to buy? Any advice very, very much appreciated. I've tried Googling and looking in the extensions section but haven't been able to figure it out. It isn't necessary to change the number on every page, just the number that appears in the top module and is the most visible would be fine.

Thanks for your time :)

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Show different phone number for traffic coming via Googl

Post by itoctopus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:04 am

You can develop a simple module that will check the referrer and display a different phone number if the referrer is a Google ad, and the regular number when this isn't the case. It's really not that complex.

You can also use Jumi module to do the above with a simple condition.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Yazzi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Show different phone number for traffic coming via Googl

Post by Yazzi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:29 am

itoctopus wrote:You can develop a simple module that will check the referrer and display a different phone number if the referrer is a Google ad, and the regular number when this isn't the case. It's really not that complex.

You can also use Jumi module to do the above with a simple condition.

I'm glad it's easy. Do you know of any tutorials that step through how it's done? (Sorry if you're shaking your head in amazement going "What a noob!")

I found one tutorial but the code was for inbound traffic from organic Google searches, not Adwords.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”