Frontend Edit button missing

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Frontend Edit button missing

Post by yumasan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 am

I've recently created some new sites using Joomla 3.5.
One worked fine and allows frontend article editing.
Since then, however, the newest sites I've created do not have the edit button showing.
I'm logged in as super user, there is an article displaying but no edit button.
I'm using the prostar template to test it.
Is there a setting I'm missing?
I don't recall having to set one on the first site which didn't have any issues.

Thanks in advance!

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Frontend Edit button missing

Post by yumasan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:31 pm

This appears to be template specific.
The interesting thing is, the only template that seems to work at this time is the the Beez3 template.
Even the prostar template edit button shows up, but does not work.
I click on the menu button and nothing happens (please see screenshot).

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:13 pm

I have just tested the protostar template on my test site and the editor works OK when I login in as a Super User. The Beez 3 template works as well so the problem is not template specific. Can only think that your downloaded Joomla was corrupted in some way. Try a new Joomla download and test it on a sub folder on your server.

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply, I did opt to not have sample content loaded as part of the installation, do you think that has anything to do with it?

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:06 am

I didn't think that the latest version (V 3.5.1) offered the sample data. I have just installed J 3.5.1 on my Xampp server a didn't see the sample data option. Have I got this wrong?

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:45 pm

I use Godaddy and it's an option in the install.
I still don't understand what is causing this because I've done about 3 new installs lately with the same issue.
I could see if it were only one install not working, but 3?

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:40 pm

That's Godaddy for you!!!!!!!

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 pm

OK. So, back to the problem at hand. Is there a way to get into the coding or something to add back the edit buttons since they only seem to show up and function properly on certain templates?
I read an article on Joomla 1.5 saying something about copying folders of the template over.
I should also mention this website is now live, so an new install is definitely not the route I want to go.
I'm currently giving them a workaround tool for editing their content but it doesn't work as well.

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Can only think that it has something to do with the version of Joomla that Godaddy offer pre installed. Always best to use the official Joomla download to be found at the top of this Forum!

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks Mitchell, I appreciate your help.
At least one of them I can't do a reinstall, any ideas on a solution to get the edit buttons to show back up?
I'd think there's some kind of back end hack I could do.

Thanks again!

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Is there a way to fix a site install that has the problem mentioned above?
Like a way to test the joomla install and see if there are any issues and fix them?

Thanks.

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:51 pm

What version of Joomla are you running?

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 pm

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 pm

yumasan wrote:I've recently created some new sites using Joomla 3.5. One worked fine and allows frontend article editing. Since then, however, the newest sites I've created do not have the edit button showing.

I'm logged in as super user, there is an article displaying but no edit button. I'm using the prostar template to test it. Is there a setting I'm missing?
You can disable front-end editing by changing the ACL permissions (which is not something I would recommend to novice users). This is what I see when I use the standard, default ACL settings:
j3x_frontendEdit.png
Question is: have you changed any of the ACL settings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 pm

No, I have not changed any ACL settings. That's what has me confused. If I use the prostar template that has the same edit button you have shown, nothing happens when I click on it.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 pm

yumasan wrote:If I use the prostar template that has the same edit button you have shown, nothing happens when I click on it.
That's not what you wrote before. You wrote earlier—I checked and double-checked before I entered this discussion—that the edit option didn't show (appear), not that "nothing happens" when you click the option when it does appear.

I'm totally confused, sorry. I suspect we now have an entirely different problem.

To make sure we properly understand the situation:

1) Does the edit option appear when you click the gear gadget? (As I illustrated in my previous message)
2) If the edit option appears, is it a hyperlink and, if so, what is its target (for example, something like http://<site-URL>/?task=article.edit&a_id=n&return=<token-string>)?

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 pm

sozzled, thanks again for the quick response.

1) The button appears, but clicking on it does nothing. I may have said 2 different things because I'm having issues on more than one installation. Sorry for the confusion.

Some templates I apply to it, for example, the prostar template, it shows the edit button, but clicking on it does nothing.
Applying the Beez3 template shows an edit button, and it does work.
Yet another customized template doesn't show an edit button at all, and unfortunately is the template that I'm using for the entire site.
Which leads me to thinking that it's template specific.

So, is there a way to check the templates and see what is causing the edit buttons to either not show, or not work?

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Is there way to manually add an edit button to a template or "page"? Is it possible that the edit button is disabled in those templates?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue May 24, 2016 9:32 pm

The problem may be template-specific, that's certainly one possible explanation. Certainly it's true that Beez3 operates entirely differently to protostar—it loads a different Javascript library, for example—and it's been the subject of other discussions before.

What you haven't said is whether hovering over the word "Edit" in your "protostar site" displays as a hyperlink and, if so, what is the target of that link. That was my question #2 in my previous message. That's how I would check why clicking the link does nothing.

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:52 pm

OK, sorry about that. This is interesting...
On one site, I click on the gear gadget and nothing happens, but if I move my cursor after clicking on it, the edit button appears. :eek:
However, on another site with the same template (prostar) I click on the gear gadget and it doesn't do anything.
Here is what the link shows when putting my cursor on the gear gadget.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm

So, what you're saying (I think) is that the edit option (at least, the word "Edit") appears on both sites. On one site—your "protostar site"—the word "Edit" is hyperlinked to some odd target that ends with ".../test2#". Have I correctly understood what you're saying? But, when you say that you click it and it "doesn't do anything", is that actually true? If you click a hyperlink, the browser must do something! Looks to me like the edit link is broken unless there's a real target for it to go to.

I'm guessing—you haven't confirmed what I asked earlier—that on the site where the edit option link works, that the target of that link was something like what I described in my question #2 earlier.

In my case (and I'm assuming it would be similar for mitchell65 who also successfully tested protostar on J! 3.5.1):
  • hovering over the edit option link displays http://<site-URL>/?task=article.edit&a_id=n&return=<token-string> in the status bar;
  • clicking the edit option link goes to http://<site-URL>/?view=form&layout=edit&a_id=n&return=<token-string>.
So, what do you see in the site where front-end editing works?

Lastly, I concur with mitchell65 about GoDaddy; in fact, I would go further to say that I distrust any of those "instantly"-install-a-webite-from-a-script services. It's always best to install Joomla the "old-fashioned" way by uploading the installation kit from this site.

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:25 pm

OK, once again, sorry for the confusion.
On the site that works, the gear lets me click it, then as I move the mouse the edit button shows up and I'm able to click it and it edits just fine.

On the site where it doesn't work, no, the edit button does not appear at all. The gear gadget is there, but clicking on it does not do anything, the edit drop down item does not appear. There is no edit option.

My main issue is that the template on a site that is active for a customer, there is no edit button of any kind.

Is there a way to add one to allow front end editing? Perhaps coding on the template files?

Thanks again!

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue May 24, 2016 10:39 pm

yumasan wrote:OK, once again, sorry for the confusion. On the site that works, the gear lets me click it, then as I move the mouse the edit option shows up and I'm able to click it and it edits just fine.
And, yes, I'm totally confused. The site that works is your "protostar site", your "Beez3 site" or something else? My main interest in this discussion is concerned with protostar and why people may have difficulties with it; in my personal opinion, Beez3 is for the birds (or the bees, or whatever) :laugh: and, if people use it, they take certain known risks with it.
yumasan wrote:My main issue is that the template on a site that is active for a customer, there is no edit button of any kind. Is there a way to add one to allow front end editing? Perhaps coding on the template files?
That's something you should discuss with the developer of that template. 8)

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Thu May 26, 2016 10:28 pm

This doesn't answer my question or help. Is there anyone else that can contribute to an answer?

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:54 am

I have just re read this topic from the beginning and cannot see any other explanation for the problem other than the integrity of the Joomla version that is pre installed in Godaddy. Yumasan, can you try this:
Create a database in Godaddy, download Joomla from the link at the top of this Forum, extract it to a folder on your hard drive then via FTP in binary mode upload all the files to your Godaddy server. Then follow the install procedure. Set Prostar as your default template and see if that works.

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Fri May 27, 2016 1:40 pm

Thank you for the response Mitchell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a new/clean install correct?
If my other install is bad, I need to know how to fix it. This site is live and I don't want to just override it and start over.

Are there certain parts of the template coding I can look at for each template so I can re-add the missing edit controls?

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:51 pm

So I'm now even more confused. Is this just one site that you are having problems with as you gave the impression earlier that it was 3 or 4. How many live site do you have and can you post the URL of the actual site with the problem?

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Fri May 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Ugh... yes, more than one site is having this issue.
Honestly, since we are talking about the problem and not the solution, I think it was simply that I chose during installation not to install sample data. I just did a new install for another site I'm getting ready to design and the templates are working fine with the sample data.

One site that is having this issue is: www.plazalanes.com/washington
Another site that is having this issue is: www.modernwebcreations.com/ghworshipcenter

The second one I'm not too worried about, I can delete and reinstall and start over.
However, the first one, like I mentioned before, is a live site for a customer.
I realize both are template or installation issues, but I'm still looking for a way to fix them, at least the live one.

I plan to start over with the second one listed unless I find a fix.
I want to fix the first one.

Thank you.

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 pm

What template are you using for the www.plazalanes.com/washington site? There seems to be a lot of work gone into this site. Has it been updated from a previous version of Joomla?

yumasan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by yumasan » Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 pm

It's a custom template made with Artisteer/Themler.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”