Trying to find my way around Joomla

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Trying to find my way around Joomla

Post by boristhemoggy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 am

I am brand new to Joomla and have just installed the latest version. I'm struggling to do anything with it so yes, I clicked on "Absolute beginners guide to Joomla", which after you follow a series of links, appears not to have the tutorials it says are there.
In other words I can find no help at all in setting up for the first time, and something as simple as publishing an article doesn't work on mine.
So, can someone please point me to the precise link where I can find tutorials for initial setting up?

boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Trying to find my way around Joomla

Post by boristhemoggy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:12 pm

By the way I have uploaded the Forum Post Assistant, but when I navigate to it I get a 404 error.

edward68
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by edward68 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Hello, have you tried https://docs.joomla.org/ .. I find that the forums are a great way to get help fairly quickly. If you need help with something specific let me know

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:24 pm

boristhemoggy wrote:I clicked on "Absolute beginners guide to Joomla", which after you follow a series of links, appears not to have the tutorials it says are there.
Did you try these tutorials which explain how to create articles:
https://docs.joomla.org/Articles
https://docs.joomla.org/Adding_a_new_article
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by boristhemoggy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 pm

edward68 wrote:Hello, have you tried https://docs.joomla.org/ .. I find that the forums are a great way to get help fairly quickly. If you need help with something specific let me know
Hi, yes I followed those links, Beginner tutorials, Getting started with templates
Looks to me just explaining what you can do but not saying how you actually achieve it. I'll give it another try.

boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by boristhemoggy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:38 pm

toivo wrote:
boristhemoggy wrote:I clicked on "Absolute beginners guide to Joomla", which after you follow a series of links, appears not to have the tutorials it says are there.
Did you try these tutorials which explain how to create articles:
https://docs.joomla.org/Articles
https://docs.joomla.org/Adding_a_new_article
Thanks, it's not just articles. It's knowing where to start, and how to actually do things, like add text, photos, albums, change the look of the site, all those things.
Is the best start point Templates?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 pm

It is good to understand templates and how Joomla uses template positions in for example the Protostar template which comes with Joomla.

Search for "joomla tutorial video" and you will find videos and tutorials by template providers and hosting companies, for example:
https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/joomla-video/

It is also useful to install Joomla with the demo data on a localhost server on your workstation, running XAMPP, MAMP or Wampserver.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

edward68
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by edward68 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Planning your website is the best place to start. Once you know where your content will go then you can go about setting your website up. Its helpful to get to know your template so that you know where to place things. Say for example you wanted to put some text and images on the front page. You have some options. You can write an article using the built in editor. It allows you to add text and images. Save the article and then go to menus. Go to the main menu option and select menu type :single article and then select the article you have just written. Choose a template position and then save your article. You should then be able to see your article on the front page. There are methods for doing everything. The forums are a great place to troubleshoot and get help. Use the documents area to get comprehensive help. Hope I have helped you. If you want to add third party plug ins then the extentions are is the place for you. Best just work out what you want to do and get step by step help along the way.

boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by boristhemoggy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah my website is pretty much drawn up on a3 sheets.
Sounds very complicated to me, an article must be more like a page than a 'post'.
I'll google some videos see if I can find anything that's useful.
Thanks everyone.

edward68
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by edward68 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Its all really simple once you try it for yourself. Articles are not really pages. You can for example have multiple articles on a single page. Hope you find the help that you are looking for.

MasterD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MasterD » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm having much the same issue. I have my website designed in JustInMind and now want to implement it in Joomla. So I have my Categories and Articles completed but struggling with the layout or look of the website.

I would help to plan in Joomla terms. so is there a website format template you can create your website? By this I mean a format so I can create the structure for the website in Joomla and then create it using the format map?

boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by boristhemoggy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:02 am

I finally did mine in Wordpress, much simpler

kiasati
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kiasati » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:56 am

for start u can watch the tutorial that lynda.com has. it's an awesome learning course.

https://www.lynda.com/Joomla-tutorials/ ... 275-2.html
Learning never stops...

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:05 am

boristhemoggy wrote:I finally did mine in Wordpress, much simpler
Yes, it is. Until you want to manage your articles, images and go multilingual on a more serious level.

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:22 am

Wordpress would be simpler because he wanted joomla to work the same way.... and was annoyed that it didn't...

boristhemoggy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by boristhemoggy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Gany wrote:
boristhemoggy wrote:I finally did mine in Wordpress, much simpler
Yes, it is. Until you want to manage your articles, images and go multilingual on a more serious level.
With respect to Joomla, it is a different platform to Wordpress and I recognise that. However, it still is an unnecessarily complex piece of software and rather than relying on a comprehensive but easily to use basis, it relies on people who are utterly dedicated to learning it's vast complexities in order to get the best from it.
I suspect if it was not free no-one would ever go near it.

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi

i agree, Joomla is complex an difficult to understand. From a beginners perspective the terms plugins, modules and components and extensions can get confusing. All the various places you have to go to configure things....

There is a lot to get your head round.

But I am really glad I chose Joomla, I saw a friend's Wordpress site the other day and the troubles that he is encountering would be easily solvable from my perspective if he was using Joomla. His solution seems really longwinded and over the top.

I have tried Drupal and that is just toooooo much for me. I couldn't even work out how to get a hosted trial site working, though locally I have experimented plenty :)
Concrete5 looks nice but I soon found reasons to not enjoy it so much. It didn't match my brief, for others it definitely will.
It seems to me that non-tech-savvy people can use wordpress easier but soon end up accepting bits they can not adjust or fix, or think that the norm is to pay someone to change a slideshow or move that widget 'there'

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”