Configuration.php is showing as Unwritable Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
nlogica
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Configuration.php is showing as Unwritable

Post by nlogica » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:26 am

Hey there! :)
I have a question about the Configuration file.

I decided to use this time of the year to do some maintenance on an old, very low traffic website. It's using Joomla 3.9. Essentially, I've migrated the website from one server to another. It went well, site loads fine.

In the admin panel, while looking at System > System information > Folder permissions, I found out that Log and Temp folder were not set correctly. It's normal because the new server has slightly different paths, I updated those, and they're now showing as Writable, so that part is fine.

But I also noticed configuration.php is showing as Unwritable and I was wondering if that's good or bad? :-\ Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/jYKAeo9.png .

When I updated the Log and Temp folder paths in the Global Configuration, it worked well, and the updated paths are indeed listed inside configuration.php, which makes me think that Joomla is able to write to it!

cPanel file manager shows the file as 444. Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/vccNmg4.png . I had a look at the old server and it's the same setting.

I just want to make sure everything is set correctly. Joomla Update is showing there's an available update (happy to see security updates still being released for Joomla3) so I want to install the update, but want to make sure there's no issue with the configuration before going ahead.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Configuration.php is showing as Unwritable

Post by toivo » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:54 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

Permissions 444, unwritable, are normal for the file configuration.php. Joomla write-enables the file before writing when it needs to update the configuration.

As you know, Joomla 3.9 is quite old. Some of the third party extensions may not work with latest versions of PHP or Joomla 4. Check the compatibility of third party extensions individually, not just from the Joomla Extensions Directory (JED), but also from the developers' websites.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

nlogica
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Configuration.php is showing as Unwritable

Post by nlogica » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:04 am

Thank you @toivo !
I'll go ahead and update to the latest version available ‎- 3.10.12 .

EDIT: update installed fast and without issues 👍

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”