Save locations - similar to weather.com

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
steinm10
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Save locations - similar to weather.com

Post by steinm10 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm looking for some functionality that would allow users to save their location(s), similar to what weather.com does. They would basically search for their location, add it to their 'favorites' and have the ability to 'one-click' on second and third, etc visits.

Is there anything like this or that offers similar functionality?

Thanks in advance
Matt

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Save locations - similar to weather.com

Post by andypooz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

If you want users to be able to enter on location, then this can be done most simply by using joomla's profiler plug-in (it's part of the core, you just have to enable and configure it). The user doesn't 'search' for a location, but rather type it into a text field. This information is stored in the #__users table so is remembered each time they return.

There are several IP to location plug-in that could be adapted to include the ability to link locations to a user, but there'd be a bit of coding going on there.

It would be useful to know what people use these locations for in your site. Give us the full picture.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

steinm10
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Save locations - similar to weather.com

Post by steinm10 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 am

Thanks for the reply.

It's a golf outing registration website and I want to default to outings in the users general area (maybe within a 50 mile radius). I want to make it as simple as possible for the user, so I thought adding this location plug-in would eliminate a step.

I'll check out the profiler plug-in that is part of the core Joomla install.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”