Decrypting multilingual settings during Joomla installation

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
6tel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Decrypting multilingual settings during Joomla installation

Post by 6tel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi all. I want my site to be multilingual, and I'm installing it using a Quickstart file I got from a template that I just bought. I will first start building the site in a language, and then will continue developing it in the other twos in which I will need to upload content later.

But when installing the languages during the Joomla installation procedure I don't get quite well what the following means to my process during the webmaking:
Activate the multilingual feature (No/Yes)
If active, your Joomla site will have the multilingual feature active with localised menus for each installed language

Install localised content (No/Yes)
If active, Joomla will automatically create one content category per each installed language. Also, one featured article containing dummy content will be created on each category

Enable the language code plugin (No/Yes)
If enabled, the language code plugin will add the ability to change the language code in the generated HTML document to improve SEO.
Let's say I choose "No" in the three of them. May I later enabled them via Joomla's backend? Can you please illustrate with an example what each one do if I select 'yes'? ???

I'm attaching a screenshot of where I'm asked all this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Templates for Joomla! 3.x to the forum Installation - Joomla! 3.x

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Decrypting multilingual settings during Joomla installat

Post by imanickam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:24 am

6tel wrote:Let's say I choose "No" in the three of them. May I later enabled them via Joomla's backend?
Yes, you can do it. Be informed that you could even change/convert a monolingual to multilingual site if you have not enabled the multilingual feature during the installation. In other words, you could convert an existing site to a multilingual site at a later date if need be.
6tel wrote:Can you please illustrate with an example what each one do if I select 'yes'?
A better way to approach this question is to have two installations of Joomla! one with selecting "No" to all these questions and one with selecting "Yes" to these questions and see how they differ.

The notes provided under each of these questions are almost self explanatory.
Activate the multilingual feature (No/Yes)
If active, your Joomla site will have the multilingual feature active with localised menus for each installed language
If the answer to this question is "No", the menus that contain default menu items for each of the languages will not be created. You have to create them at a later date. You can notice this in the Menus and "Menu Manager: Menus".
Install localised content (No/Yes)
If active, Joomla will automatically create one content category per each installed language. Also, one featured article containing dummy content will be created on each category
If the answer to this question is "No", then model/dummy categories that are assigned to each of the languages will not be created. In addition, a model/dummy article that is assigned to the respective language in each of these categories will not be created. You have to create them at a later date. You can notice this in the Content Manager (Content -> Article Manager or Content -> Category Manager).
Enable the language code plugin (No/Yes)
If enabled, the language code plugin will add the ability to change the language code in the generated HTML document to improve SEO.
If the answer to this question is "No" then the plug-in "System - Language Code" will not be Enabled. You can notice this in the Plugin Manager (Extensions -> Plugin Manager). If this plugin is Enabled, it does the following:
Changes the language code for the generated HTML document. Example of use: One has installed the fr-FR language pack and wants the Search Engines to recognise the page as aimed at French-speaking Canada. Add the tag 'fr-CA' to the corresponding field for 'fr-FR' to resolve this.
Hope this clarifies.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

6tel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Decrypting multilingual settings during Joomla installat

Post by 6tel » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Thank you, IManickam.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”