Fresh installation - pages downloaded as file

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
z0mbee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Fresh installation - pages downloaded as file

Post by z0mbee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi all,

First post here, so go easy on me! I have been trying to install Joomla 3 on my server, but have run into a problem with the version installed by Softaculous script.

The script reported that the installation completed successfully, and the files seem to all be there, but a file with no extension is downloaded each time I try to visit the home page or Admin page. The file seems to contain index.php each time. No errors are reported in the server log, and this happens in multiple browsers. I have another CMS in an adjacent directory which seems to display its own index.php fine.

I've had a look through the first couple of pages here, but can't seem to find any other reports.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Fresh installation - pages downloaded as file

Post by xfsgpr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Please post a link of your site here so that we can see what has happened.

Also, you should know that you don't have to use the automatic scripts provided by your webhost. you can upload the full unzipped package using FTP client like FileZilla. I say unzipped because some hosts don't allow large files to be uploaded (because of restrictions in php.ini) and also unzipping is not allowed.

Hope this helps.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

A php file downloading normally means the webserver doesn't suppory PHP. You may want to contact your provider.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

roundel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by roundel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm

..or that the web server isn't configured to run php files in arbitrary locations. Check to see what you can do with httpd.conf or a .htaccess file.

z0mbee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by z0mbee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi,

Site address is http://www.z0mbee.net/joomla - I also have fresh Wordpress and Concrete5 installs at /wordpress and /c5, respectively. Both load fine, so I guess it is more likely a directory than server issue. I'll have a look at their .htaccess files and see if they have to be told to handle php files a certain way.

I did actually try a 'proper' install first, but couldn't solve the magic_quotes_gpc problem so went for the 'easier' option. That'll teach me :)

z0mbee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by z0mbee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Aha! It looks like Softaculous added its own .htaccess, which interfered with the server's handling of .php files. I disabled this, and the site and admin areas now load - telling me to disable magic_quotes_gpc!

I'll find the FAQ page for that, and see if I can sort if this time.

z0mbee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by z0mbee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm

...all sorted, after getting the correct install path from System Information. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys :)

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”