Setup Subdomain with same database for upgrade purposes

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Setup Subdomain with same database for upgrade purposes

Post by nicoljcraig » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Hello,

Looking for some help as I can't seem to find answer on the forums. Situation is, I'm trying to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.3, but at the same time I'm going to re-design my website (ear-trumpet.net). So, I've setup a subdomain and wish to work on that before copying it over to the main site (demo.ear-trumpet.net).

Question is, I've put the fresh Joomla install on the subdomain directory. But the /administrator login page isn't showing up? Plus, I wish to use the same MySQL database for the new subdomain/demo site too.

Is this possible (and/or wise)?
---------------------------------
N

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Setup Subdomain with same database for upgrade purposes

Post by sovainfo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 pm

You talk about a subdomain, but is it really a subdomain? Because you don't need it!

Wouldn't put a clean install in the subdomain, would restore a backup from your main site there. That one can then be migrated to J3. Depending on whether it really is a subdomain or not, verify the .htaccess in your main site. What did you enter as url?

You do require MQ off for J3.

About using the same database, that is possible because each site uses a prefix to identify the tables to be used. Would advice against it to avoid mistakes. Also it makes working in phpMyAdmin easier if you have separate databases. Already a lot of tables for one instance let alone for multiple.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi Sovainfo,

Thanks for your reply. Absolutely, that makes more sense. Still having issues though... would massively appreciate your help. First time I'm upgrading using this method.

I've uploaded backup version to 'subdomain' (demo.ear-trumpet.net) however, nothing is showing up when I try to access it? I have changed config file log and tmp path so it points to correct subdirectory.

Not sure what you mean by MQ off?

If using the same database is not recommended, should I clone the current MySQL database and work from that?

Appreciate the help. N
N

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Don't know what your situation is with your provider and MySQL. Suggest to create a new database on the same server. Change the name of the db in configuration.php and import the backup. Optionally change the prefix in the export and change it in configuration.php as well.

You haven't answered my question on the subdomain! Without an answer I can't help you on your demo site not working.

MQ is Magic Quotes and needs to be off in php.ini for J3.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:18 pm

So I exported the current database. Then made a new db through myphpadmin on server (freezone.co.uk). Imported current database and gave new prefix to new db.

var $live_site
var $log_path
var $tmp_path
var $ftp_root

But also changed
var $db = 'jos_';
var $dbprefix = 'ear_';

Not sure if that's right though (new dbprefix is 'ear_'). (I can send config file if that's easier)

Well no it's not really a subdomain it's more a temp folder for doing a upgrade/redesign.

Can't find php.ini file?

Thanks ever so much.
N

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:09 am

Subdomain: So, you are not using a subdomain, you have a folder demo in your maindomain. You access your site with http://maindomain and your ear as http://maindomain/demo, right?
In that case the .htaccess in maindomain applies to maindomain/demo as well. This would not have been the case with a subdomain!

MQ: Considering you don't have a subdomain really the MQ must be on for maindomain and off for maindomain/demo. Which probably means that you require the .htaccess in maindomain/demo to point to demo/php.ini to be created with MQ off.
Please find on this board Magic Quotes for instructions how to do that. Don't know those by hart, would have provided them if I did. Report here what you have done, so I can confirm it is the right way.

$live_site: Not sure about this setting, never used it to set the siteurl.

$db: Should have name of database (demo or ear or whatever you called it). Please b articulate in your communication. Abstract formulation helps for understanding, but specific details helps me figure out whether you understand and did the right thing. Now I assume you didn't call your database '_jos', that is normally the prefix in J1.5!

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:40 am

I will try and be more direct. Yes, I am using a subdomain. Main site is ear-trumpet.net, subdomain is demo.ear-trumpet.net. Would you recommend using a subdomain, or using a folder within my main directory for the upgrade/redesign? I presumed using a subdomain was the way to go but perhaps not?
N

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:52 am

Nothing against a subdomain, that is the way to go. Assuming you prohibit your main domain to enter the subdomain.
Meaning: ear-trumpet.net/demo/administrator shouldn't give you the backend! You should use demo.ear-trumpet.net/administrator for that.

You'll still need the .htaccess with php.ini and MQ off for demo.ear-trumpet.net and only use it to update to J336. Did you find the information? See http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_turn_off_ ... r_Joomla_3

Looks like you wouldn't need $live_site in this setup.

Visiting demo.ear-trumpet.net/administrator should allow you to enter your copied ear-trumpet.net. You can verify with System Information, the log and tmp paths should point to demo.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi Sovainfo,

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully I'll get it cracked soon. Still unfortunately not getting anything on demo.ear-trumpet.net or demo.ear-trumpet.net/administrator. "Server not found".

I have changed to .htaccess and added code on the info page. I have tried all three methods. Added php.ini file with this code:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
magic_quotes_runtime = Off
magic_quotes_sybase = Off

Added this code to very top of .htaccess file:

SetEnv PHPRC /home/nicoljcraig/demo.ear-trumpet.net/php.ini

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/nicoljcraig/demo.ear-trumpet.net
<Files php.ini>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
</IfModule>

Cleared $live_site.

Log and tmp paths:

public $log_path = '/var/www/vhosts/ear-trumpet.net/demo.ear-trumpet.net/logs';
public $tmp_path = '/var/www/vhosts/ear-trumpet.net/demo.ear-trumpet.net/tmp';

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Should you not get the admin back-end even if the db isn't correct (ie copied site not live on subdomain - frontend that is)?
N

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Did you restart apache after adding subdomain? server not found suggests the subdomain is not yet configured properly or apache not refreshed its configuration.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:07 pm

I asked hosting company about that and the guy said he's reset the dns. Should be working now though. Still getting nothing. Not sure what I'm doing/have got wrong.
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Perhaps recreating the site on localhost would be a less complex solution ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Try with error_reporting = 'maximum'; in configuration.php.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:09 am

So strange. Not getting anything at all. Completely blank browser. I added $public error_reporting = 'maximum'; to bottom of config file and getting nothing.

I also tried adding:
error_reporting = E_ALL
display_errors = On

to php.ini file, as per these instructions, http://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-joomla ... rs-on-site. Nada.

Thinking it may be better to just start over? Webdongle, I did think of that, however I thought having it on a subdomain would be less complex!
N

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 am

Try Forum Post Assistant in your subdomain. Speak to your provider when you can't get that to work.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 am

Well, I tried FPA before and didn't see anything. Now I do! So at least we're getting somewhere.
Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.3) : 21st October 2014 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: .- ()
Joomla! Configured :: Yes | Writable (644) | Owner: trumpet (uid: 1/gid: 1) | Group: psacln (gid: 1) | Valid For: 1.5
Configuration Options :: Offline: 0 | SEF: 1 | SEF Suffix: 1 | SEF ReWrite: 1 | .htaccess/web.config: Yes | GZip: 1 | Cache: 1 | FTP Layer: 1 | SSL: 0 | Error Reporting: default | Site Debug: 0 | Database Credentials Present: Yes

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64 | Technology: x86_64 | Web Server: Apache | Encoding: gzip, deflate | Doc Root: /var/www/vhosts/ear-trumpet.net/demo.ear-trumpet.net | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.3.3 | PHP API: cgi-fcgi | Session Path Writable: Unknown | Display Errors: | Error Reporting: 22527 | Log Errors To: | Last Known Error: | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: | Safe Mode: | Open Base: /var/www/vhosts/ear-trumpet.net/:/tmp/ | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 30M | Max. POST Size: 30M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Max. Execution Time: 60 | Memory Limit: 256M

MySQL Configuration :: Connection Error: 1045:Access denied for user 'nicoljcraig'@'localhost' (using password: YES) : Database Credentials Present? in Configuration...
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: Core (5.3.3) | date (5.3.3) | ereg () | libxml () | openssl () | pcre () | zlib (1.1) | bz2 () | calendar () | ctype () | hash (1.0) | filter (0.11.0) | ftp () | gettext () | gmp () | session () | iconv () | pcntl () | readline () | Reflection ($Revision: 300393 $) | standard (5.3.3) | shmop () | SPL (0.2) | SimpleXML (0.1) | sockets () | exif (1.4 $Id: exif.c 293036 2010-01-03 09:23:27Z sebastian $) | tokenizer (0.1) | xml () | cgi-fcgi () | curl () | dom (20031129) | fileinfo (1.0.5-dev) | gd () | imap () | json (1.2.1) | mbstring () | mcrypt () | memcache (3.0.5) | mysql (1.0) | mysqli (0.1) | PDO (1.0.4dev) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | pdo_sqlite (1.0.1) | Phar (2.0.1) | posix () | soap () | sysvmsg () | sysvsem () | sysvshm () | wddx () | xmlreader (0.1) | xmlwriter (0.1) | xsl (0.1) | zip (1.9.1) | Zend Engine (2.3.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: suhosin |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: Yes | Server SU: Yes | PHP SU: Yes | Custom SU (LiteSpeed/Cloud/Grid): Yes
Potential Ownership Issues: No
Folder Permissions :: wrote:Core Folders :: images/ (755) | components/ (755) | modules/ (755) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (755) | logs/ (755) | tmp/ (755) | administrator/components/ (755) | administrator/modules/ (755) | administrator/language/ (755) | administrator/templates/ (755) |

Elevated Permissions (First 10) ::
Extensions Discovered :: wrote:Components :: SITE :: com_wrapper (2.5.0) | com_mailto (2.5.0) |
Components :: ADMIN :: com_admin (2.5.0) | com_finder (2.5.0) | com_config (2.5.0) | com_media (2.5.0) | com_search (2.5.0) | com_installer (2.5.0) | com_zoo (3.2.4) | Zoo (1.4.0) | com_users (2.5.0) | com_joomlaupdate (2.5.0) | com_modules (2.5.0) | com_categories (2.5.0) | com_newsfeeds (2.5.0) | com_templates (2.5.0) | com_content (2.5.0) | com_weblinks (2.5.0) | Widgetkit (1.0.4) | com_cpanel (2.5.0) | com_plugins (2.5.0) | com_checkin (2.5.0) | com_menus (2.5.0) | com_languages (2.5.0) | com_login (2.5.0) | com_cache (2.5.0) | com_banners (2.5.0) | com_messages (2.5.0) | com_redirect (2.5.0) |

Modules :: SITE :: mod_finder (2.5.0) | mod_breadcrumbs (2.5.0) | mod_footer (2.5.0) | mod_articles_archive (2.5.0) | mod_articles_categories (2.5.0) | ZOO Item (3.0.1) | ZOO Comment (3.0.0) | mod_languages (2.5.0) | Widgetkit Twitter (1.0.0) | mod_login (2.5.0) | mod_articles_news (2.5.0) | mod_articles_category (2.5.0) | mod_articles_latest (2.5.0) | mod_syndicate (2.5.0) | ZOO Category (3.0.0) | JMod TweetDisplay (2.0) | mod_custom (2.5.0) | mod_users_latest (2.5.0) | ZOO Tag (3.0.0) | mod_wrapper (2.5.0) | mod_random_image (2.5.0) | mod_whosonline (2.5.0) | mod_banners (2.5.0) | mod_related_items (2.5.0) | mod_search (2.5.0) | Susnet Facebook Like Box (1.0.4) | mod_articles_popular (2.5.0) | mod_weblinks (2.5.0) | Widgetkit (1.0.0) | mod_stats (2.5.0) | mod_feed (2.5.0) | mod_menu (2.5.0) |
Modules :: ADMIN :: mod_latest (2.5.0) | mod_toolbar (2.5.0) | mod_login (2.5.0) | mod_popular (2.5.0) | mod_logged (2.5.0) | mod_multilangstatus (2.5.0) | mod_quickicon (2.5.0) | mod_custom (2.5.0) | mod_submenu (2.5.0) | mod_version (2.5.0) | ZOO Quick Icons (3.0.0) | mod_status (2.5.0) | mod_feed (2.5.0) | mod_menu (2.5.0) | mod_title (2.5.0) |

Plugins :: SITE ::
Templates Discovered :: wrote:Templates :: SITE :: atomic (2.5.0) | yoo_radiance (1.0.2) | beez5 (2.5.0) | beez_20 (2.5.0) |
Templates :: ADMIN :: hathor (2.5.0) | bluestork (2.5.0) |
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am

You put the FPA in the same folder that has the Joomla files ... yes ?
You accessed the FPA http://demo.ear-trumpet.net/fpa-en.php ... yes ?
But http://demo.ear-trumpet.net gives a blank page ?

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:56 am

Exactly. That FPA readout came from demo.ear-trumpet.net/fpa-en.php. But when I go to demo.ear-trumpet.net or demo.ear-trumpet.net/administrator it's only a blank page.
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:06 am

Yet the FPA says
Joomla! Instance :: .- ()
So it says its not found Joomla there

And says
Database Credentials Present: Yes
So it has found database credentials (methinks it looks for those in the configuration.php)

And it says
MySQL Configuration :: Connection Error: 1045:Access denied for user 'nicoljcraig'@'localhost' (using password: YES) : Database Credentials Present? in Configuration...
So it is not connecting to the database for some reason.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 pm

So if the joomla isn't being found, why not? I have copied and pasted my files there, so surely it should find them no?
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:59 pm

http://demo.ear-trumpet.net/robots.txt can be found

It looks like a javascript error/conflict

Try a standard Template

Check the settings of any 3rd party extension that may alter urls

Set the homepage to an Article that has no modules assigned to it.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:32 pm

I can't do that unfortunately as I can't get into the administrator section. The site works fine normally (ear-trumpet.net), I'd just like to migrate it to a subdomain. Thought it would be easy!
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 pm

nicoljcraig wrote:I can't do that unfortunately as I can't get into the administrator section. ...
It can be done with phpMyAdmin

nicoljcraig wrote:... The site works fine normally (ear-trumpet.net), I'd just like to migrate it to a subdomain. Thought it would be easy!
Use akeeba to back up your site ... put the .jpa file in the folder for the subdomain. Run kickstart.php on the .jpa file ... then run the installer and skip the database restore. The installer will put the details into the configuration.php file. In the .htaccess 'RewriteBase /' because that folder is the root of the sundomain.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks for all your help. I used the Akeeba backup method and was sooo much easier.
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:59 pm

I see it's working now

btw you forgot to delete the fpa script .... so I did it for you ;)

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 am

How did you do that?!
N

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 pm

nicoljcraig wrote:How did you do that?!
By clicking the great big button that says 'Delete Script". I did it for security reasons ... you are advised to delete the script after use. Install it again and you will see the button when you go to http://demo.ear-trumpet.net/index.php/en/fpa-en.php . Don't forget to delete it if you install it to look at it again

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”