Installing Joomla into nonempty website

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
warpw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing Joomla into nonempty website

Post by warpw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:29 am

Hello, I will be installing Joomla 3 on already established site that use no content management system so far and I would like to let the current site online after the Joomla is installed before the site will be developed in Joomla - and not to delete the old content on any way after that. What's the best way to do this, please?

I know that I can install Joomla to a new empty subfolder, but I don't want the URLs to look like

Code: Select all

http://domain-name.com/name-of-joomla-folder/my-page-titles
but without the name of Joomla folder. Can I install Joomla into nonempty root folder that already contains index.php? Or install it into subfolder and then move all the contents of it into the root folder and mix Joomla CMS content with already existing folders and files? I know that the site owner won't want the old content to be removed even after the Joomla site is created. Thank you.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Installing Joomla into nonempty website

Post by toivo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:28 am

I will be installing Joomla 3 on already established site that use no content management system so far
It would be better to plan to migrate the current content to Joomla so that the whole site can be managed in a CMS. Otherwise you will end up in a mess.
the site owner won't want the old content to be removed even after the Joomla site is created
The site owner must have some reasons but whether they are valid is a different question.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Installing Joomla into nonempty website

Post by sovainfo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 am

It is not a problem to have both sites in your webspace. Suggest to move the current site to a subfolder and install joomla in a different subfolder. Use subdomains to refer to each. Than there is no need to have the folder in the url, the subdomain takes care of it.

You can't have both installed in the root. A file or folder needs to belong to one those sites. A Joomla site depends on the index.php, how should it determine the request is for the existing site?

If you don't want the url to differentiate between the sites there must be an algorithm for .htaccess to do that.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”