Magic Quotes GPC Off ?

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
deadlydave
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How I solved turning Magic Quotes off in Cpanel to install 3

Post by deadlydave » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Took a while but I got there.

Try toggling the magic quotes on in cpanel php config and save then turn them off again.

I think this then corrects the issue as it solved it for me. GL!

Spell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Magic Quotes GPC Off ?

Post by Spell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:51 am

Wow, how frustrating. Here's what worked for me (finally @%#$&!!) on Linux-based GoDaddy shared hosting platform where I’m trying to launch a Joomla 3.1 website:

1. Create a new php5.ini file (or rename your php.ini to that by adding the number 5 into the title. Easy.

2. Open up your php5.ini doc and put this inside:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
magic_quotes_runtime = Off
magic_quotes_sybase = Off
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.s
display_errors = Off
error_reporting = Off

I open up these kinds of files using Dreamweaver. I think a plain text editor might work also. I’ve never tried that.

You can also open up your php5.ini file in the back end of your GoDaddy account: Go to Hosting > Launch > ControlPanel > Tools section, then click on the File Manager icon > FTP File Manager > then you can select any file and click on “Edit” > input your changes and > Save

3. Create a php.info doc and upload to your root folder. You will need it in a minute. The three steps to do that are,
a. Create a text file with the following line in it:
<? phpinfo(); ?>
b. Name it info.php
c. Upload it to your root folder.

As a note, anytime I have to change a file suffix (as from .txt to .php I do it through my FTP Client by right clicking and selecting “Rename.” Mac computers do not like to change a file suffix through the Finder, so do it through your FTP Client.

4. Now open a new window in your browser and go to yournewwebsite.com/info.php You’ll get a nice long doc showing all your php status.

5. Download your htaccess.txt file. Add the following lines to the top:

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/myusername/public_html/yourJ3folder
<Files php5.ini>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
</IfModule>

However, you must first substutite the string “/home/myusername/public_html/yourJ3folder” for your actual path which you will find in the first table of info in your php.info report, listed under “Loaded Configuration File”. Just use the part including “home…” through the name of your root folder, i.e. don’t include “/php5.ini”.

I learned this part from this page. But note I changed the name of the ini file appropriately: http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_turn_off_ ... r_Joomla_3

This Joomla article assumes you are not installing Joomla, but just wanting to turn off magic quotes after your website is already up and running. So it’s not fully applicable.

6. Go into your FTP Client and navigate to your htaccess.txt file. Rename it .htaccess and upload to your root folder. Don’t just click on the file and rename it, especially if you are on a Mac. You may get dire warnings of doom that it could un-stabilize your computer and make all your hair fall out.

7. Your Joomla install should be able to proceed now.

I’ve written this all out, because on my shared hosting plan, without the .htaccess added in there, the php.info showed magic quotes was OFF, however the Joomla Installer continued to show it as ON. Good luck.

theflash
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by theflash » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:14 am

I'm having this issue also. I created a info.php file and went to mywebsite.com/subdomain/info.php and had a look for "Magic Quotes" which I found was set to "on."

I then created a php.ini file and added the following lines to it:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
session.save_path = "/tmp"

Now when I look at info.php again in my web browser, it says that magic quotes is off.

However when I run the Joomla 3.1 installer it still says that magic quotes is "on." What more is there to do?

I read the post above about an "htaccess file" -- should I try that? There's already a file called "htaccess.txt" from when I extracted the Joomla installation into my subdomain, however I'm not sure if I should edit that one or not?

Thank you

EDIT: Adding that code into the htaccess.txt file and renaming to .htaccess worked, thank you.

cabachona
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cabachona » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 am

Hi there guys. I had no luck what so ever with your helpful hints about removing those wretched magic quotes and so I asked my server to do it for me. It was done in like 10 minutes and now the error message is not showing. How great is that. You want to know who?? Host Papa. Best service I have had from any server in 10 years!

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am

Thats why I keep saying SPEAK TO YOUR HOSTS. They are the ONLY ones who can give you the correct answer. Everything else in this thread is what worked for a specific host and as many people see are just a waste of time for general advice
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

makevalue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by makevalue » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:22 pm

silicon_chip wrote: Alternatively try placing a php.ini file in each of your sub directories and see if that can fix your issue.
Update for Joomla 3.1.5

I used a HostGator VPS account. I struggled a little with this too but got it with the hosting support. So for those using HostGator, here goes:

About php.ini:
There may be settings in different folders but the default is in the hosting root NOT public_html. For other hosts, you need to find the appropriate "root" folder...if you have access to it.
There are two settings that often need to be changed depending on your hosting package. both are found in the DATA HANDLING section:

register_globals = Off
I found it on line 365.

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
I found it on line 382.

I also had an issue with my .htaccess file. It did not provide the path to default php.ini file.

Best,
Steve

mrteetd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrteetd » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:29 pm

silicon_chip, the php.ini file I put in the installation folder worked like a charm. Thanks. Except this error comes up.

Error

Your host needs to disable magic_quotes_gpc to run this version of Joomla!
php.ini

magic_quotes_gpc = Off

makevalue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by makevalue » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:17 am

mrteetd wrote:silicon_chip, the php.ini file I put in the installation folder worked like a charm. Thanks. Except this error comes up.

Error

Your host needs to disable magic_quotes_gpc to run this version of Joomla!
php.ini

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
To have a php.ini be part of the hosting environment, it needs to be in the root folder. Check with your hosting company to clarify how to put it there. Some hosts doe not show the root in their file manager or ftp access.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 am

... and some hosts require it in EVERY folder where php is run from. ONLY your own host can give you the perfect answer
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

makevalue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by makevalue » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:47 pm

I recently fixed this on a GoDaddy hosting. The tools I used may be helpful for others.
1. Check to make sure that the hosting server is showing magic quotes is off. Joomla should report this correctly in the system information but...use this to verify: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article ... it_value=3
2. If magic quotes is on, you need to look back at all the suggestions in this post.
3. For Godaddy, I needed to make some special adjustments. I needed to change the name of php.ini file to php5.ini. I also needed to add some code at the end of this file as follows:
magic_quotes_gpc = Off
zend_extension=/usr/local/php53/lib/php/extensions/ioncube.so
zend_extension=/usr/local/php53/lib/php/extensions/ZendOptimizer.so
4. For GoDaddy, I also needed to restart the web processes. This forces the server side software to reread the php5.ini file. See http://support.godaddy.com/help/article ... ing-effect.
Viola...2 hours later, Joomla 3.1.5 is fixed.

rickybell
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rickybell » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:01 pm

It worked for me, putting a php.ini file in the root of the site ....

bezworks
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bezworks » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 am

larry_g1s wrote:Ok...I think I read every post of these three pages. I contacted my host (Lunarpages) after trying many of the suggests here and they mentioned one of the suggestions here which was to add
magic_quotes_gpc = off
to the php.ini file and add
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/genesi2/public_html/
to the .htaccess file.

But the same thing happens as when I tried the solution from this thread, which is after I click 'check again' it goes straight to a screen saying: Congratulations! Joomla! is now installed. But I didn't install anything. And when I remove the installation folder mentioned on that same 'Congratulations! Joomla! is now installed.' page, I get errors.
My client is with Lunarpages, and this worked for me.

bobitzu1977
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bobitzu1977 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi all.
Make next file: "php5.ini" with the next lines:

Code: Select all

magic_quotes_gpc = Off

and upload in the root of your website.
Good Luck to all !

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:41 pm

For some hosts, add "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off" to the .htaccess file
http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_turn_off_ ... some_hosts

.htaccess files are recursive.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

tecsol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tecsol » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 am

Hi, Not sure if this forum is still open to asistance requests, but here goes...

I'm trying to install 3.2, and get stuck at the first screen which reports Magic quotes is on. I added in all the settings suggested above - php.ini, .htaccess. I then checked phpinfo, and realised that the system settings and local settings for magic quotes are all off anyway! It appears that Joomla is not recognising this.

Should I try deleting the magic quotes test routine just to get past this, or are there any other suggestions please?
James Dean
Melbourne, Australia

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 pm

In my experience, the following lines of code need to be added to a php.ini file:

Code: Select all

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
The php.ini file needs to go in three folders:

1. Your Joomla! root
2. Your /administrator folder
3. Your /installation folder

This is just my experience - as Brian and others say, it totally depends upon your host but the above is a good place to start. You might have to add a line to a .htaccess file (I did) but that isn't the case with everyone. Start as I've suggested :)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.0.3 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.0.3 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm

tecsol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tecsol » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:57 am

Problem Description :: Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.3) : 31st December 2013 wrote:Magic quotes setting not recognised by Joomla install
Actions Taken To Resolve by Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.3) 31st December 2013 wrote:installed php.ini settings as suggested. phpinfo shows magic quotes as off, but install fails saying quotes is still on!
Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.3) : 31st December 2013 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: Joomla! 3.2.1-Stable (Ember) 18-December-2013
Joomla! Platform :: Joomla Platform 13.1.0-Stable (Curiosity) 24-Apr-2013
Joomla! Configured :: Not Found

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.18-028stab094.3-ent | Technology: i686 | Web Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_qos/9.74 | Encoding: gzip, deflate | Doc Root: /home/farmsens/public_html | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.3.13 | PHP API: cgi-fcgi | Session Path Writable: Yes | Display Errors: 1 | Error Reporting: 22519 | Log Errors To: | Last Known Error: | Register Globals: 0 | Magic Quotes: | Safe Mode: 0 | Open Base: | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. POST Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: -1 | Max. Execution Time: 30 | Memory Limit: 128M

MySQL Configuration :: Database Credentials incomplete or not available Nothing to display.
Missing credentials detected: Connection Type missing | MySQL Host missing | Table Prefix missing | Database Username missing | Database Password missing |
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: Core (5.3.13) | date (5.3.13) | ereg () | libxml () | openssl () | pcre () | sqlite3 (0.7-dev) | zlib (1.1) | bcmath () | calendar () | ctype () | curl () | dom (20031129) | hash (1.0) | filter (0.11.0) | ftp () | gd () | SPL (0.2) | iconv () | session () | json (1.2.1) | mbstring () | mcrypt () | mysql (1.0) | mysqli (0.1) | standard (5.3.13) | Phar (2.0.1) | posix () | Reflection ($Id: 522fef1e5100f848a5e2059d98b3a880a3143e9a $) | imap () | SimpleXML (0.1) | soap () | sockets () | exif (1.4 $Id$) | tokenizer (0.1) | xml () | xmlreader (0.1) | xmlwriter (0.1) | zip (1.9.1) | cgi-fcgi () | PDO (1.0.4dev) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | Zend Engine (2.3.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: suhosin |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: Yes | Server SU: Yes | PHP SU: Yes | Custom SU (LiteSpeed/Cloud/Grid): No
Potential Ownership Issues: Maybe
Folder Permissions :: wrote:Core Folders :: images/ (755) | components/ (755) | modules/ (755) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (755) | logs/ (755) | tmp/ (755) | administrator/components/ (755) | administrator/modules/ (755) | administrator/language/ (755) | administrator/templates/ (755) |

Elevated Permissions (First 10) ::
Extensions Discovered :: wrote:Components :: SITE :: com_wrapper (3.0.0) | com_mailto (3.0.0) |
Components :: ADMIN :: com_media (3.0.0) | com_content (3.0.0) | com_admin (3.0.0) | com_menus (3.0.0) | com_weblinks (3.0.0) | com_messages (3.0.0) | com_config (3.0.0) | com_search (3.0.0) | com_cache (3.0.0) | com_installer (3.0.0) | com_finder (3.0.0) | com_joomlaupdate (3.0.0) | com_modules (3.0.0) | com_categories (3.0.0) | com_ajax (3.2.0) | com_newsfeeds (3.0.0) | com_languages (3.0.0) | com_tags (3.1.0) | com_banners (3.0.0) | com_cpanel (3.0.0) | com_users (3.0.0) | com_checkin (3.0.0) | com_templates (3.0.0) | com_plugins (3.0.0) | com_contenthistory (3.2.0) | com_postinstall (3.2.0) | com_redirect (3.0.0) | com_login (3.0.0) |

Modules :: SITE :: mod_banners (3.0.0) | mod_custom (3.0.0) | mod_breadcrumbs (3.0.0) | mod_feed (3.0.0) | mod_stats (3.0.0) | mod_weblinks (3.0.0) | mod_menu (3.0.0) | mod_footer (3.0.0) | mod_search (3.0.0) | mod_wrapper (3.0.0) | mod_tags_popular (3.1.0) | mod_related_items (3.0.0) | mod_whosonline (3.0.0) | mod_articles_categories (3.0.0) | mod_articles_archive (3.0.0) | mod_random_image (3.0.0) | mod_languages (3.0.0) | mod_users_latest (3.0.0) | mod_tags_similar (3.1.0) | mod_login (3.0.0) | mod_articles_latest (3.0.0) | mod_articles_popular (3.0.0) | mod_articles_category (3.0.0) | mod_syndicate (3.0.0) | mod_finder (3.0.0) | mod_articles_news (3.0.0) |
Modules :: ADMIN :: mod_toolbar (3.0.0) | mod_custom (3.0.0) | mod_status (3.0.0) | mod_feed (3.0.0) | mod_menu (3.0.0) | mod_multilangstatus (3.0.0) | mod_latest (3.0.0) | mod_popular (3.0.0) | mod_quickicon (3.0.0) | mod_version (3.0.0) | mod_title (3.0.0) | mod_stats_admin (3.0.0) | mod_login (3.0.0) | mod_logged (3.0.0) | mod_submenu (3.0.0) |

Plugins :: SITE :: plg_quickicon_extensionupdate (3.0.0) | plg_quickicon_joomlaupdate (3.0.0) | plg_extension_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_editors-xtd_readmore (3.0.0) | plg_editors-xtd_image (3.0.0) | plg_editors-xtd_pagebreak (3.0.0) | plg_editors-xtd_article (3.0.0) | plg_captcha_recaptcha (3.0.0) | plg_user_contactcreator (3.0.0) | plg_user_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_user_profile (3.0.0) | plg_system_highlight (3.0.0) | plg_system_redirect (3.0.0) | plg_system_logout (3.0.0) | plg_system_log (3.0.0) | plg_system_cache (3.0.0) | plg_system_sef (3.0.0) | plg_system_debug (3.0.0) | plg_system_languagefilter (3.0.0) | plg_system_languagecode (3.0.0) | plg_system_p3p (3.0.0) | plg_system_remember (3.0.0) | plg_twofactorauth_yubikey (3.2.0) | plg_twofactorauth_totp (3.2.0) | plg_authentication_cookie (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_gmail (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_ldap (3.0.0) | plg_search_contacts (3.0.0) | plg_search_newsfeeds (3.0.0) | plg_search_categories (3.0.0) | plg_search_weblinks (3.0.0) | plg_search_content (3.0.0) | plg_content_vote (3.0.0) | plg_content_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_content_emailcloak (3.0.0) | plg_content_pagebreak (3.0.0) | plg_content_loadmodule (3.0.0) | plg_content_pagenavigation (3.0.0) | plg_content_finder (3.0.0) | plg_editors_codemirror (3.15) | plg_editors_tinymce (4.0.10) | plg_finder_tags (3.0.0) | plg_finder_contacts (3.0.0) | plg_finder_newsfeeds (3.0.0) | plg_finder_categories (3.0.0) | plg_finder_weblinks (3.0.0) | plg_finder_content (3.0.0) |
Templates Discovered :: wrote:Templates :: SITE :: protostar (1.0) | beez3 (3.1.0) |
Templates :: ADMIN :: isis (1.0) | hathor (3.0.0) |
James Dean
Melbourne, Australia

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:17 am

I don't notice anything wrong there.

Sometime ago there was a problem with Joomla install reporting magic quotes on when it was off http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=29112 ... but this is the first time I have seen it since.

Did JAVesey's suggestion work for you ?

Rallyline
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rallyline » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:03 pm

I have spent hours trying to solve this and tried all of the above suggestions - none of them worked for me.

I eventually found this solution on another forum and IT WORKED!!!!!

Hope it helps lots of others :)

1. Create a php.ini file with the following:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so

2. Put it in your Joomla 3 root.

3. Then change the htaccess.txt in your Joomla 3 root to .htaccess.

4. Add the following lines to the .htaccess file (at the top) :

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/myusername/public_html/yourJ3folder
<Files php.ini>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
</IfModule>

Change "myusername" and "yourJ3folder" to your respective folders.

That's it. That will help you override it for just that site and won't affect your other sites. Although, even if you turn it off for the other sites, everything will still work as normal for those sites :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Just realised your php version is 5.3.13 Perhaps your host (or you in your Host's CP) needs to turn it of in the master php.ini ?

tecsol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tecsol » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:23 am

I've put the php.ini file in all 3 locations as suggested by JAVesey - no difference I'm afraid...

What is odd is that phpinfo reports that the Magic quotes value is off in both the system and local values:

magic_quotes_gpc Off Off
magic_quotes_runtime Off Off
magic_quotes_sybase Off Off

The FPA returns a blank for the Magic Quotes value - Does this suggest that Joomla is having trouble reading this variable?

MySQLi support:Yes
Magic Quotes:
Safe Mode:0
James Dean
Melbourne, Australia

boisedesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by boisedesign » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 am

There are so many suggestions on here. I have tried all of them, it seems, and can still not get Magic Quotes OFF. Does someone have one that for sure works?

My host is a GoDaddy affiliate. I'm setting up a new site in 3.x. I have it installed but can not log in administrator. I get this error;

0 - An error has occurred.
SQL=SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM `jos_postinstall_messages`

I'm not a techie person, just want to develop a 3.x joomla site! I don't know where else to find help and have not been successful in finding what will work YET.

thanks.

tecsol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tecsol » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:10 am

Hmmm, Looks like I've got this forum stuck for suggestions!
Can anyone suggest other places to look for advice please?
My situation is different to boisedesign. He can't turn Magic Quotes off, while my system is reporting that Magic Quotes IS off, but the Joomla installer is not recognising this.
Thanks... James
James Dean
Melbourne, Australia

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:40 am

If you want to PM me ftp details and database details then I can have a quick first hand look ?

tecsol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tecsol » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks Webdongle, It's a test/learning site at this stage, so I'm happy to give you access. I'll set up a ftp account and send you the details.

I have since commented out the part of the installer that checks for Magic Quotes as discussed earlier in this thread, and was able to complete the installation. The back end now shows a warning that Magic Quotes must be turned off, but both front and back ends are functioning. Assuming that the quotes are actually off as reported by phpinfo (farmsense.com.au/phpinfo.php) I could leave it like that, but it's not a neat resolution! Joomla 3.2.1 is installed in farmsense.com.au/cms2.
James Dean
Melbourne, Australia

blurblive
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blurblive » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 am

brian wrote:Thats why I keep saying SPEAK TO YOUR HOSTS. They are the ONLY ones who can give you the correct answer. Everything else in this thread is what worked for a specific host and as many people see are just a waste of time for general advice
Totally agree with you Brian.

I lodged a support ticket with my host re the magic quote stuff and they fixed it in a flash so to speak.

No more magic quotes woohoo

As with the php5 to run 3x, I just went in to the server cp and changed it from 4 to 5.

Cheers to you and happy new year.

tecsol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tecsol » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:19 am

I can't explain this, but after removing and reinstalling the whole Joomla 3 system, it is now finding the Magic Quotes settings and is "happy", which means I am too!

The php.ini settings:
magic_quotes_gpc = Off
are duplicated in three locations:
/public_html
/public_html/cms2 (Joomla install directory)
/public_html/cms2/administrator

Thanks for the advice from all who responded.
James Dean
Melbourne, Australia

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:56 am

I wondered why there was a configuration.php file there. OK as you no longer have a problem there is nothing for me to look at. Glad you got it fixed.

ruminator
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ruminator » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 am

I tried pretty well everything suggested, with no success, when trying install a Template "Quick Install" package (which included an older version of Joomla 3X) on a Go-Daddy hosting account. I have several websites on this account...all Joomla 2.5x and all running under PHP 5.3

Somewhere (possibly in this forum) someone said the problem was related to the Joomla Installation program's incompatibility with PHP 5.3. Apparently, a newer version of PHP was required to overcome this problem.

So, I changed my Hosting Account's PHP to 5.5, then after successfully performing the installation (yes, it finally worked), I changed back again to PHP 5.3 so as not to disturb my other websites. All seems to be working well now. Incidentally, also had problems with connecting with the database during installation. Found the problem was with "localhost" which did not work. Instead, went to the database "details" page in Go Daddy and used the hostname which Go Daddy had generated there when I created the database

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”