Help with database

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
KeithUK
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Help with database

Post by KeithUK » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm

hi all

I am wanting to install Joomla! 3 on my remote server but I don't know how to Set up a database. I know how to do it on my localhost with myPHP but is it the same on my remote server?

Or is it with MySQL?

Thanks

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Help with database

Post by sitesrus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 pm

It's totally dependent on your server/control panel.....9 times out of 10 you have access to PHPMyAdmin (hopefully through your control panel) so at least that could be the same....unless your control panel has other mysql tools.

If you have shell access you can just use the mysql server itself and write commands to set up the database (but it's annoying and I don't even like to do it).

Creating a database is really straight forward, whether through phpmyadmin or through your servers control panel.

What OS are you running? What control panel do you have?

What hosting do you have (shared, vps, etc.?) and with what company? That might give us a clue as to your setup if you don't know....
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

KeithUK
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by KeithUK » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm

my hosting is using five quid hosting but I am not very technically minded when it comes to hosting. I normallyuse their automated installation but they don't have a Joomla! 3 on this service just yet

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Than contact your provider and check tutorials/faq's regarding what they provide. There should be some way to create databases, whether via a custom interface they provide, a standard control panel, phpmyadmin, something.

I'm not familiar with your company or their tools unfortunately, maybe even a google of "five quid hosting setting up db" will yield results. It's not a joomla problem, so you will likely easily find an answer, i wish i could provide it but I don't know.

Good luck!

Or at least contact them or somehow find out what you have to work with, usually when you log into your account there you can find out? Some tools might help me provide you an answer....if it's custom it might be a bit harder to track down.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”