Installation Location Help Required!

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
vulpeculiar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation Location Help Required!

Post by vulpeculiar » Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

I really hope I'm posting this in the right place but after trawling through support docs and Google until the wee hours, my brain just doesn't want to cooperate! :-[

I'm not sure how to word this without further confusing myself or any poor soul reading it, so I'll try and bullet point what I think (hope) are the relevent points:

- I have a website hosted by Dreamhost (so, Apache, yes?) that has PHPBB installed to the root.

- I would like to install Joomla and use this as the "index page" instead of the forum so that when you go to [spam].com, instead of seeing PHPBB, you see Joomla. I am happy to install Joomla manually rather than using Dreamhost's one-click install (plus, that's only using 2.5 and I might as well go for the newer, shinier model)

- I don't want to delete the PHPBB forum and would, eventually like to bridge the two (probably with Rokbridge, as they have matching themes for both & I'm lazy as hell)

- I know that you can redirect Joomla from a subdirectory with htaccess and while I've moved PHPBB from a subdirectory to root before, I've never done it the other way around or with another database to consider. I'm assuming it's possible though?

So err... I think what I'm trying to say is, if I move PHPBB from root to a subdirectory and *then* install Joomla to root will it all work without destroying existing data and / or the internet? Also, would I need to add Joomla to the PHPBB database or would they work separately?

Gold star and a cookie for anyone who made any sense of that and thanks in advance for any help offered :)

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”