Problem installing latest Joomla

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Whippets
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Problem installing latest Joomla

Post by Whippets » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:44 am

Hi, this is my first time installing Joomla. I've installed all the files via ftp, and the configuration runs fine, but at the end of step 3 I get no success page, and no error message. If I try going to my site again, it just runs the configuration procedure again.

Please can anyone offer any advice?

Marcus

johans
I've been banned!

Re: Problem installing latest Joomla

Post by johans » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

you need to input your DB name and password the same on your mysql configurations.

Whippets
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Whippets » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am

Hi, I've done that, the db info is correct, I can quickly see the progress bars after clicking the final "Install" button, but then I'm sent back to step 3 with no errors messages at all.

kseher77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kseher77 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:37 pm

I am facing the problem while installing it to my Thinkpad. It is running windows 7 ultimate. The installation file fails to execute. Any help?

Kristy Davis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kristy Davis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Marcus,

May I know which version of MySql you are using?

Make sure that you are not using MySQL 6.x , as Joomla is not yet compatible with that. 5.1 + version is recommended.
Last edited by Kristy Davis on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kristy Davis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kristy Davis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 am

Hi kseher77,

Follow the following steps to install Joomla in your Thinkpad

NOTE: if you have any other local server installs RUNNING (i.e. XAMP, MS-IIS, etc.) shut them down first!

1) download WampServer2.0c.exe, from http://www.wampserver.com, to the Desktop

2) run the downloaded EXE and accept all the defaults (I added both icons when prompted and just left the default PHP Mail Parameters as is) - click Finish when prompted

3) new tab in Firefox 3.0 and enter localhost into the address bar, enter and there you are at the Wamp Server Homepage

4) your Wamp Sever (WS) root will be in C:\wamp\www so for this example, I created the directory J158

5) copy (or download) the J1.5.8 Full Install Package ZIP to C:\wamp\www\J158 and extract (unzip) it there

6) while it was extracting, I went to the WS Homepage (localhost) and selected phpMyAdmin from the Tools menu (lower left)

7) in phpMyAdmin I created a new database (where is asks 'Create new database' :) and entered j158, Create and when it shows up on the left sidebar, I closed the browser tab

(NOTE: on a local installation, Joomla! will create the database for you at Step4; however, I am detailing it here as this the same process you go through when doing a remote install)

8) when the J158 Package unzipped, I checked that all the files and folders are now in the path in item 5) and then a new tab in Firefox 3.0, type in localhost/j158 and there you have the Joomla! 1.5.8 Installation!

1) Language - enUS - Next

2) Pre-Installation Check - all good - 'green' (except 'Display Errors' which is OK for now as 'red' - Next

3) License - you bet! - Next 4) Basic Settings:

a) database type: mysql - leave as-is

b) host name: localhost

c) username: root !Important - this HAS to be 'root', lower case!

d) password: NONE !Important - leave BLANK!

e) database name: j158

f) Next (if you get an error on the next page, then go 'Previous' and double-check the values

5) FTP Layer - leave as-is for now (i.e. 'No') - Next

6) Main Configuration:

a) Site name: Joomla! 1.5.8 (or whatever you want)

b) Your email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it (cannot be empty)

c) Admin Password: 123456 (or whatever - you can change it later)

d) Confirm: 123456

e) Install Sample Date - YES! Click the button!...wait... ...then 'Sample data installed successfully' - Next

7) Finish - Remove (or as mentioned, OK to re-name on a local install) the 'Installation' directory from C:\wamp\www\j158 ...then ... click 'Site' and VOILA! ... a brand new, fresh install of Joomla! 1.5.8

Hope this helps !!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”