Error in installing the 3.3.6 Update in Backend

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Thomas Paine
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error in installing the 3.3.6 Update in Backend

Post by Thomas Paine » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm

I am getting an error in the admin part of my site for the latest update, 3.3.6 When I click on the update button to update the Joomla, I get an error invalid Login. Has anyone had this problem, if so, how do you fix this?
Thanks
Rick Brainard
Editor of 18th century History
http://www.history1700s.com

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Error in installing the 3.3.6 Update in Backend

Post by imanickam » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Next time, before you do the update, suggest reviewing the release notes and following what is suggested/recommended.

The release notes for Joomla! 3.3.6 can be found at http://www.joomla.org/announcements/rel ... eased.html and the following is clearly stated in the notes that the Update component will not work and hence you have use the Extension Manager's installation tab for this.
Because of the issue with the update component, users who are running 3.2.6 or 3.3.5 will be unable to update to the next release using Joomla's update component. These users will be required to update their Joomla! installation via the Extension Manager. Instructions for updating via the Extension Manager can be found on the Joomla! Documentation Wiki. Users who are running Joomla! 3.3.0 through 3.3.4 and 3.2.5 or earlier will be able to update using the update component. The Joomla! Documentation wiki contains full instructions on how to update your site.
Note:
(i) This approach would help you immensely anytime before you update either Joomla! or extension(s).
(ii) Always make a back-up of your site files and the database content before updating either Joomla! or an extension.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Thomas Paine
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Thomas Paine » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Thank you for the information.
Rick Brainard
Editor of 18th century History
http://www.history1700s.com

amcguire2014
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by amcguire2014 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:21 pm

imanickam wrote:Next time, before you do the update, suggest reviewing the release notes and following what is suggested/recommended.

The release notes for Joomla! 3.3.6 can be found at http://www.joomla.org/announcements/rel ... eased.html and the following is clearly stated in the notes that the Update component will not work and hence you have use the Extension Manager's installation tab for this.
Because of the issue with the update component, users who are running 3.2.6 or 3.3.5 will be unable to update to the next release using Joomla's update component. These users will be required to update their Joomla! installation via the Extension Manager. Instructions for updating via the Extension Manager can be found on the Joomla! Documentation Wiki. Users who are running Joomla! 3.3.0 through 3.3.4 and 3.2.5 or earlier will be able to update using the update component. The Joomla! Documentation wiki contains full instructions on how to update your site.
Note:
(i) This approach would help you immensely anytime before you update either Joomla! or extension(s).
(ii) Always make a back-up of your site files and the database content before updating either Joomla! or an extension.
Next time, rather than being a jerk (like most of you moderators), you could just break it down into some really easy steps.

1. Click here (provide link) and download the update package.
2. Visit your extension manager within your Joomla admin, and install package in the same fashion as you would install an extension or plugin.

Side note - whoever released that notice that the update was available could have easily included that in their instructions as well.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 pm

amcguire2014 wrote:Next time, rather than being a jerk (like most of you moderators)
How to Win Friends and Influence People.

It's a good read. Try it.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jgress- » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:57 pm

JAVesey wrote: How to Win Friends and Influence People.

It's a good read. Try it.
totally agree. i at least skim through that book once a year or so. excellent read. :)
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:10 pm

jgress- wrote:totally agree. i at least skim through that book once a year or so. excellent read. :)
Very aggressive first post, I thought. One normally has to earn the right to be a rude as that ;)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jgress- » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:34 pm

perhaps they are just very frustrated. we have no way of seeing into the rest of their life. maybe they are going through a rough time. i have gotten a lot out of How to Win Friends and Influence People through the years so i had to comment. we don't know who might come across this post, read the book, and have their lives change. i'm so glad you suggested it! :) :) jenn
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

ginageick
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ginageick » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:18 pm

While indeed quite bold for a first post to the forum, he isn't entirely wrong.

This could have been handled a lot better, both from the update notification as well as the response to the first poster. Although, I wouldn't classify 'most moderators' jerks ;)

Hmm. Must get my hands on that book - always looking for a good read :)

MediaFish
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MediaFish » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 am

....not all Joomla Moderators are Jerks BUT

When I go to the Administration it tells me: Joomla! 3.3.6 is available: Update now

So if you developer tell me to update then well guess what people will probably update and get stuck.

So don't just bash the guy complaining as he is right (not the jerks part but the rest) so instead of talking about his bad manners - why not being a bit more critic with yourselfs?

You could easily add the release note to where the post installation messages are posted or even in the Update note - and make things a bit more user friendly...

So figure...

secrets
I've been banned!

Post by secrets » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:33 am

Do a backup before you do anything with upgrades.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 am

Don't forget these option are given to a Super user, act like one!
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

MediaFish
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MediaFish » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:49 am

Oooohh act like a super user... really - why don't you act like a Guru?

Instead of taking constructive advice seriously the forum Gurus keep telling us we should know better - just saying things could be done a lot easyer - by adding the release note directly in the administration part of each website - right next to the Update message....

This would safe us a lot of clicks and time...
Last edited by MediaFish on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Three things if I may?:

1. It's always good practice to read the release notes before updating anything (Joomla itself or a component). I suspect that most don't and just plough in ;)

2. Remember that although English is the preferred language on here, it might not be the 1st language of many who post, including some of the Moderators.

3. Even if some appear rude or curt, that doesn't confer the right to reply in the same manner. treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated/spoken to.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

Fixie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Fixie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I totally agree with the golden rule stuff and next somebody is probably going to tell us that dealing with your frustration in a more constructive way than projecting it on the outside is good for your soul. I'm all for that too. Think how peaceful earth would be if frustration were nowhere to be seen. Probably no fun at all ;)

I too had this problem, and I too missed the RTFM step in upgrading. Started cleaning the deck instead before ending up here. Even though I've been at this for eight years now, I'm no expert in any way. The problem is that the developers know things and probably assume that "it's obvious", while everybody else is inundated in more info than is good for the health and simply misses "obvious" things in the info onslaught.

Installing Joomla and becoming a Super User is deceptively easy. Learning the system well enough to be able to screw up badly takes a little time. Becoming a master takes a lifetime. Joomla can be persuasively easy sometimes, and it's a selling point too, but sometimes it's a nightmare. So, I guess both perspectives in this melee has it's merits.

And 'yes' some kind of error message that makes my nose point in the right direction would be of value. "Invalid login" makes me think the whole system is corrupted and I panicked to no avail.
Esperanto Translation Team Coordinator

MediaFish
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MediaFish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:15 am

JAVesey wrote:Three things if I may?:
1. It's always good practice to read the release notes before updating anything (Joomla itself or a component). I suspect that most don't and just plough in ;)
As I said before: How about adding a link to the release notes directly next to the download link? We got computers to make things easyer right? Well in that case why do I have to log -in the administration area, then open another tab to joomla.org - then search the download section and then read the release note... insteado simply having the link to it in my admin area I first opened - safes a lot of steps - safes a lot of searches and makes questions like this one not necessary - but why making things easyer if you can have them difficult?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:59 am

Though I believe that some of the posts are not constructive and should be imho more respectful towards Joomla Team Members, BS-members and moderators, especially where all these people are dedicating free of charges and in their spare-time development and support to the project, the point being made is a valid point and I will post a message to my fellow Members of the Joomla Bug Squad and open a discussion re. this issue.

We are able to load the Release notes in the Joomla update component imho and that is indeed a good point to make which would avoid the issues as described (assuming people READ those release notes with instructions). Besides the Release notes I will suggest also a check-box to be checked before the J-updater can run. If one than runs into the issues despite being well documented one can only blame her/himself for not reading properly

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

omertron
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by omertron » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:23 am

Firstly, thank goodness for google, I have finally found the thread that tells me what's wrong.

Second, whilst the post above ("jerks") is a little harsh, the original Guru's post was ever so slightly condescending.

I consider myself an educated user, I write my own software which I have to support hundreds of users across many languages and experience levels, so I do have some sympathy for what you guru's have to go through, don't get me wrong.

Having said that, when I try to upgrade to 3.3.6 by clicking the upgrade button, I get a success message, not an error message or a problem. I don't get a link to the release notes, I don't know where to go for them... Nor do I have the time to read them. I don't care what obscure issues may or may not have been fixed. My installation is "nagging" me to upgrade, you've done an excellent job of making it easy, so why do I need to read some arcane set of release notes?

http://www.joomla.org/announcements/rel ... eased.html

That's the release notes for this version. It says "security release", so yes, if I had found them (there's no link to the release notes on the upgrade page, not even a generic link to the http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/ page.

I guess I am just saying, that although we are "administrators" of joomla sites, we're not always aware of things that you Gurus take for granted and have lived and breathed for the last "x" years.

Just my £0.02 take it or leave it as you will, but thank you for offering your time and experience.

lemmings
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lemmings » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 pm

I hope soemone can help me. I am a beginner so please simple advice.
I built a site on xampp (still offline) J2.5 and VM 2,5. When i was finished i saw i could upgrade to J3.3.6 and VM3. So started an update of Joomla and it failed. so started again. Now i cant log in backend or see the frontend. I made a backup (copy) before and that doesnt work either, that i really dont understand???

The fault i get at the backend is
"JAuthentication: :authenticate: Failed to load plugin: plgauthenticationcookie
Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet."

The front end fault is
"500 Unknown column 'a.title_alias' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT a.id, a.asset_id, a.title, a.alias, a.title_alias, a.introtext, a.fulltext, CASE WHEN badcats.id is null THEN a.state ELSE 0 END AS state, a.mask, a.catid, a.created, a.created_by, a.created_by_alias, CASE WHEN a.modified = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.modified END as modified, a.modified_by, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.publish_up, a.publish_down, a.images, a.urls, a.attribs, a.version, a.parentid, a.ordering, a.metakey, a.metadesc, a.access, a.hits, a.metadata, a.featured, a.language, a.xreference,c.title AS category_title, c.alias AS category_alias, c.access AS category_access,u.name AS author,( SELECT MAX(contact.id) AS id FROM xpwsc_contact_details AS contact WHERE contact.published = 1 AND contact.user_id = a.created_by) as contactid,parent.title as parent_title, parent.id as parent_id, parent.path as parent_route, parent.alias as parent_alias,ROUND(v.rating_sum / v.rating_count, 0) AS rating, v.rating_count as rating_count FROM xpwsc_content AS a LEFT JOIN xpwsc_categories AS c on c.id = a.catid LEFT JOIN xpwsc_users AS u on u.id = a.created_by LEFT JOIN xpwsc_categories as parent ON parent.id = c.parent_id LEFT JOIN xpwsc_content_rating AS v ON a.id = v.content_id LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT cat.id as id FROM xpwsc_categories AS cat JOIN xpwsc_categories AS parent ON cat.lft BETWEEN parent.lft AND parent.rgt WHERE parent.extension = 'com_content' AND parent.published <= 0 GROUP BY cat.id) AS badcats ON badcats.id = c.id WHERE a.id = 7 AND (a.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_up <= '2014-12-12 14:18:37') AND (a.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_down >= '2014-12-12 14:18:37') AND (a.state = 1 OR a.state =2)"

Thanks in advance.

Reply can be in English or Dutch.

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jgress- » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:35 pm

@lemmings - you need to open a new thread please as you have a completely new topic.

Joomla 2.5 to 3 is a mini-migration and requires planning and thought prior to clicking the button. Restore from a backup.

See docs.joomla.org/Why_Migrate and please open a new thread so people can help you better.

lemmings
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lemmings » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Ok, thanks i will. As to to the backup. That wont open either???

cheshirealan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cheshirealan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

OK. So like lots of others I just clicked on the update to 3.3.6 and i got the JSON error.

Is their any way of recovering without reloading from backup.

I have uploaded the new files manually but I still get the JSON error.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”