Attempting to upgrade from v 3.4.8 to 3.6.0

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
daheys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Attempting to upgrade from v 3.4.8 to 3.6.0

Post by daheys » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi!

Am a newbie to the forum and am trying to upgrade my Amazon AMI bitnami installation of Joomla 3.4.8 to 3.6.0.

Following the recommendation in the documentation that the in place upgrade doesn't work and the best method is to use the Extension install option with the Joomla 3.6.0 installation package URL.

When I use this method the installation fails with error unable to find "XML setup file".

I therefore try installing by using the file upload and install method and get the same error along woith a message saying "cannot find install package"

Bottom line I cannot get the upgrade to install no matter what method I use, any suggestions?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Attempting to upgrade from v 3.4.8 to 3.6.0

Post by AMurray » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 pm

??? Where did you read that using the Extension installer was the "best" if the normal update component didn't work.

You can't use the Extension installer for updating from 3.4 to 3.5.x or 3.6

??? What issues are you running into, that won't let you complete the update the correct way (with Joomla Update component).

Here is the update by Joomla component instruction
https://docs.joomla.org/Help36:Components_Joomla_Update (Make sure your "Update Source" is set to Default, as that will detect and find the latest available version).

Manual method below, if you can't do so by the above.
https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Upgrading_ ... 4.x_to_3.5 (the link says "upgrade 3.4 to 3.5" but it's the same for upgrading to 3.6).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

daheys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by daheys » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks for the response!

I read using the Extension Installer on the following link after a lot of searching on this link "https://wiki.bitnami.com/Applications/B ... Joomla!.3f".

For clarification my installation is on an Amazon AWS Bitnami Joomla AMI running Ubuntu 14.04.

I have just attempted to follow the process in the "update by Joomla Component" document you suggest above and after backing up the site using the installed "Akeeba Backup" component, ther server then moves on to download the update package and starts to attempt install and fails with "Error: failed to open LICENSE.TXT for write" or words to that effect.

I will have to attempt the manual update over the weekend as I will need more time to ensure I can do the upgrade without rushing.

I will let you know how I get on!

Regards

Dale A. Heys

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 pm

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860 Please.

You have a problem with file permissions on the server.

Ines-K
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ines-K » Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am

Hi there,

I have been running into the inability to update my Joomla version for a year now. I have version 3.4.8 currently installed. When I attempt to update, Akeeba backs up the site ok and then the Joomla update screen appears but nothing happens (not even loading). PHPwise the site runs on PHP 5.6.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 27, 2017 11:41 am

Do you have the latest version of Akeeba Backup?

Disable the Plugin from Akeeba that do the Backup and retry the upgrade.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 pm

You could try updating in smaller steps e.g. 3.4.8 to 3.5.0, 3.5.0 to 3.5.1 and then 3.5.1 to 3.6.0 and onwards (note also the changes around 3.5.1 and the way it updates - no longer through Extension installer but through the Joomla update component).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Ines-K
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ines-K » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi,

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Disabling Akeeba didn't do the trick, on the contratry, when I tried updating from my version of 3.4.8 to Joomla 3.8 (the current available update) it prompted a 404 error.

As for updating in smaller steps, how can I do that if not through the site? Currently the only direct update available is the 3.8 one

Many thanks for your help with this,

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:45 pm

It's 14 months since your first post. We are still waiting for the FPA report.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 pm

@Per: This topic started fourteen months ago (that's true) and the person who started it abandoned it and we'll probably never hear from that person ever again. Saying we're waiting for fourteen months for the FPA report is like saying we're waiting for Elvis to appear again in person. It's never going to happen.

On the other hand, this topic was successfully hijacked about four months ago: different situation, different operating environments different versions of Joomla are involved. So we're not comparing apples with apples.

@Ines-K: your existing difficulties updating from J! 3.4.8 to J! 3.8.0 notwithstanding, people who use the Forum Post Assistant tool get to the front of the queue when it comes to obtaining help on this forum. People who choose to not provide us with that information are usually forgotten. It's your choice. 8)

Ines-K
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ines-K » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello,

I understand, it's my fault. I left this issue for a while also due to not getting any reply notifications from the forum.

I'd greatly appreciate any help the forum could share to resolve this persistent issue with upgrading to Joomla 3.8.

Sorry again and thanks in advance for any help,

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Ines-K wrote:I have been running into the inability to update my Joomla version for a year now. I have version 3.4.8 currently installed. When I attempt to update, Akeeba backs up the site OK and then the Joomla update screen appears but nothing happens (not even loading). PHP-wise the site runs on PHP 5.6.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.
As this is the only technical information that you have given us to work with, it's not enough to explain why, where or how you're unable to update from J! 3.4.8. We're sorry that you're unable to update Joomla but, by the same token, we've asked you to use the Forum Post Assistant and you've decided not to do that. Good luck.

wojsmol
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by wojsmol » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 am

Hi daheys
Please wait until Joomla! 3.8.1 i release then update with normal method throw backend in 2 steps and please post at least PHP configuration section from FPA before update.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”