Creating new Joomla 3.0 site but cannot enter basic information. What do I do? Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sgawebmaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Creating new Joomla 3.0 site but cannot enter basic information. What do I do?

Post by sgawebmaster » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 am

Hey all,

I have a really perplexing issue. I have created many Joomla 3.0 sites previously. I am used to uploading the files on my FTP and then going to the URL and filling out the configuration information and then moving on to fill out the database information. However, when I did that today, I entered the basic configuration information including site name, description, admin email, pw, etc. But when I hit the NEXT button, all of the information I entered disappears and I get an error that reads:

Field required: Site Name
Field required: Admin Email
Field required: Admin Username

So, I can't configure a site. I have tried removing all the core joomla 3 files from my FTP and reinstalling a fresh core. But, that didn't fix the problem. I am trying to install this site on a new sub domain. I don't know if that would make any difference. I don't see how it could since it's just another directory on my server.

I've never run into this before. Obviously I cannot go forward with a new site until I can figure this out. I really could use some advice as to what in the world has gone wrong. Can anyone help with some advice?
Untitled-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Creating new Joomla 3.0 site but cannot enter basic information. What do I do?

Post by toivo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:19 am

Are you installing Joomla 3.10.11, downloaded from https://downloads.joomla.org? Does your server comply with the technical requirements for Joomla 3.x, especially regarding the version of PHP?

Did you extract the files from the compressed installation package in your workstation or did you unzip the installation package in the remote server? Were any errors reported?

Even if the installation is not finished, please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration can be reviewed by our volunteer experts.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sgawebmaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Creating new Joomla 3.0 site but cannot enter basic information. What do I do?

Post by sgawebmaster » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:27 am

Hi Toivo,

Thank you for responding so quickly.

You wrote, "Are you installing Joomla 3.10.11, downloaded from https://downloads.joomla.org? Does your server comply with the technical requirements for Joomla 3.x, especially regarding the version of PHP?"

PHP could be the issue. Also, I didn't download the files from that source. So I am going to address both of those issues. If that doesn't fix the issue, I will fill out the form and post the results. But I think you may be on to something with the file download and PHP. Thank you and I will be back with my results!

sgawebmaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sgawebmaster » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 am

@toivo

Well, it was probably the PHP. I updated it to 8.0. Though I also downloaded the core files from the link you gave me. Reuploaded them and with the PHP change: Voila!I was able to move past the first page of configuration. Thank you so very much for the troubleshooting help!

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:10 am

Thank you for the update! In most server configurations the installation just works, but, in case something goes wrong, like a file does not get copied to the server, our volunteers are here to answer questions and give assistance.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”