Install Driving Me Crazy!

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
PhilAngus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Install Driving Me Crazy!

Post by PhilAngus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi all,

I have had so many issues trying to makes sense of this whole thing I am running round in circles and don't really know where to start!

So, I followed the document on installing Joomla, I put a PHP download in to c:\PHP (don't really know where or how this fits in to the bigger picture as there is no install as such, just plonk the files in a folder!). Anyway, I then installed MYSQL. I took care of all the version information with the packages. I have iis installed (Windows Server 2008 R2).

I downloaded the full Joomla package and copied the entire contents of the main folder (not the folder itself) to C:\inetpub\wwwroot

I opened IE and went to http://localhost and just got an error. I followed how to fix this error by enabling directory listing, but now all I see is a list of all of the files and folders which were in the Joomla package. Looking at the document I should see some kind of web page installer, but there are no relevant files within the root of the structure so I simply don't understand how there is ever going to be any kind of page presented. Couple this with the fact that there is no MYSQL database wizard anywhere that I can see and the confusion about what the PHP is, all in all it's all completely baffling!

Sorry, but I've tried this three times now and this time I've been on it all morning and am none the wiser!

PS I want to use this for an internal intranet, not hosting a web site.

:'( :pop
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Installation Joomla! 3.x to the forum Installation Joomla! 3.x » Joomla! 3.x on IIS webserver

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Install Driving Me Crazy!

Post by xfsgpr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:09 pm

You are doing the hard way. The easiest way is to download XAMPP from this link:

https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

then you download and unzip Joomla zip file to the htdocs folder. Once you have done this, you need to create a blank database with a name. Let's say it is called "joomla" without the quotes and then you run joomla installation by typing:

http://localhost

This should guide you on the screen to install joomla on your local machine.

You say you are running Windows server with IIS so I suggest you ask your question at this link if you want to use IIS instead of apache:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=717

Good luck.

PhilAngus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilAngus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and sorry for posting in the wrong place! Doa! :-[

I will give that a try. :)

PhilAngus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilAngus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi,

OK, so I downloaded and installed the XAMPP. Nothing would start in the control panel! I have now de-installed absolutely everything and am back to a bog standard Windows 2008R2 installation. Can we start again?

So, I install XAMPP. Do I then need Apache? (I was going to use iis). I take it I still need to install MYSQL?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the htdocs folder? Where is that? Also, the joomla.zip file, are you referring to the main installation package from this web site?

Thanks,

PhilAngus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilAngus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:52 pm

It's OK, I understand now, the htdocs is in the XAMPP folder! So, I uninstalled iis, installed Apache only under XAMPP and copied the structure to htdocs. I then installed MQSQL separately and added the database joomla. When I go to localhost I now get the install screen!

So, going to try moving forward from here....

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Suggest to have a look here to run PHP on IIS: http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis7.php
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

PhilAngus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilAngus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 am

It all appears to be working now. If I selected to have a template to use at the end of the install wizard, can I easily change which one after the install has finished?

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by xfsgpr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 am

PhilAngus wrote:It all appears to be working now. If I selected to have a template to use at the end of the install wizard, can I easily change which one after the install has finished?
Sure. the templates can be changed any time after the installation. sometimes it requires to make sure the modules are in the correct place as you may know all templates have different module position.

Good luck and enjoy Joomla.

PhilAngus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PhilAngus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 am

I tried installing and setting a free module as default called dc_studio from billionthemes.com and all I see is a front screen with the colour of the template but with a message at the top which states "Please add a menu module in the 'hmenu' position". There is no other content. Any ideas? :-)

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”