Disable Automatic Administrator Activation

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
superharryo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Disable Automatic Administrator Activation

Post by superharryo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Noticed this issue after updating to Joomla 3.#. Now using Joomla 3.3.3. I have Users Manager set to Allow User Registration and New User Account Registration set to "Admin". The following sequence occurs.

1) New user sees link to "Create an account" (Correctly)
2) New user can fill in account data form (Correctly)
3) After registering the new user receives an e-mail message containing a link with a token to verify their e-mail address (Correctly)
4) After the user's e-mail address has been verified, all users with the Receive System Messages option enabled receive an e-mail message notifying them that a user has verified their e-mail address and requests that their account be activated. That email message will contain a link with a token to activate the account (Correctly).
5) The User receives an e-mail message notifying them that they may now login BEFORE an administrator has clicked on the activation link (INCORRECTLY).

I am the only user with admin privileges and the User log shows the new user as activated and enabled prior to me clicking on the email verification link. It activates them completely when the User clicks the verification link (like should happen if New User Verification was set to "Self") even though it sends an email notification to Admins to do it. It just doesn't seem to be waiting for an activation response from the Admin.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this or what I need to change?

superharryo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Disable Automatic Administrator Activation

Post by superharryo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Additional info. When I do click on the verification link sent to the administrator e-mail, I receive a message "Warning, Registration Failed: Verification code not found." But the new user has seemingly been "automatically" verified by the system.

superharryo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by superharryo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:21 pm

I am using Core Joomla User Management and have tried with Captcha disabled and enabled with no difference.

JJSJJS
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JJSJJS » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:44 pm

I have the same issue on joomla 3.3.6
after clicking on the activation link in the email for new account, it says verification code not correct, but new user can just log-in.

any ideas?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:59 pm

http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

JJSJJS
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JJSJJS » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Could not find an similair issue, so added it to the bug tracker.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:16 am

And nobody can replicate the issue http://issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/5592\

Besides that as stated by Infograf your collation is wrong

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 am

JJSJJS wrote:Could not find an similair issue, so added it to the bug tracker.
@JJSJJS
You seem very quick on the draw with regard to assuming bugs and making bug reports - I'm thinking of this and the issue that only you seemed to have with ReCaptcha a day or two ago. If these were bugs then, given fundamental nature of the issues and the size of the Joomla user-base, they would have been reported already (and much earlier in the J3.3.x release cycle) and these Forums would have been alight with posts about it.

In both cases, the issues you have/had, whilst do doubt genuine to you, were not caused by Joomla core issues.

Not being critical of you, just asking that you think, act on advice and don't assume "bug" before checking everything out first :)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks for posting the link Leo ... I have performed a test with 'account activation' set to Admin. That setting also acts correctly.

@JJSJJS
You do not say if you are using a custom Template. Overrides in custom Templates can cause the problem that you experience.

Also you say that you have the same issue as the OP ... but actually your issue is different. The OP of this thread claimed that the user was activated before the admin activated it ... and that Activation was set to 'Admin'. Yet your error is an incorrect modal message ... and the 'Steps to reproduce the issue' in the tracker suggest that your Activation settings are set to 'Self'.

Highly recommend that you set the default Template to Protostar and test with a logical workflow. Using a standard Template and being exact in your methodology will help you understand the problem that you have with your site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

JJSJJS
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by JJSJJS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Sorry Guys, i did not set the notify me...

the captha fault lies with the joomlashine template causing Jquery errors with other plugins/modules.
So now i use Protostar which css file is modified. and another cookie plugin too, which alos caused another trouble.

Yeah maybe i was to quick with the bug submitting, but if i'm correct i also mentioned there that it was the combination of the template with some other plugs.

thanks!

Lucerova
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Lucerova » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:54 pm

I am actually having this same problem and have been since Joomla 2.5. I am currently on Joomla 3.4.1 using the Protostar template.

Users are activated upon clicking the "verify email link" rather than simply being verified, they immediately receive an activation confirmation and are able to log in to the website. Since the user is activated it removes the token from the db, thus an administrator who clicks on the activation link receives an invalid or missing token error.

Has anyone found the solution to this yet? I have also tested a completely clean fresh Joomla install and had the same issue.

Thanks in advance

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”