Problem with contact categories layout

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
erebus314
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problem with contact categories layout

Post by erebus314 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 pm

I have an issue with the layout of one page on my joomla 3.4.1 site - a joomla contacts categories menu item:

http://www.gpcaregroup.org/contact

This uses the Helix3 template, which by default provides for a left and a right position either side of the content.

Normally this results in the structure:

Code: Select all

<section id="sp-main-body">
    <div class="container">
        <div class="row">
            <div id="sp-left" class="col-sm-3 col-md-3"> Left Sidebar Content </div>
            <div id="sp-component" class="col-sm-6 col-md-6"> Main Content </div>
            <div id="sp-right" class="col-sm-3 col-md-3 hidden-xs"> Right Sidebar Content </div>
        </div>
    </div>
</section>
In the page in question though (and ONLY on this page) something goes wrong and it loads with the structure:

Code: Select all

<section id="sp-main-body">
    <div class="container">
        <div class="row">
            <div id="sp-left" class="col-sm-3 col-md-3"> Left Sidebar Content </div>
            <div id="sp-component" class="col-sm-6 col-md-6"> Main Content 
                <div id="sp-right" class="col-sm-3 col-md-3 hidden-xs"> Right Sidebar Content </div>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
</section>
I've checked the page on the W3 HTML validator and I am pretty sure the culprit is a missing </div> tag on one of the content divs. The first problem is I have no idea which one it is. I am assuming it is one to do with the contacts categories list as this is the only one I have, and this is the only page the error happens on.

According to the W3C validator there is only one missing DIV. Based on class, the only DIVs that appear once are the <div class="first"> and <div class="last">, so I think the error is with one of these two, though I can't be certain.

The problem I have now is I have no idea whether that is the issue and if it is how to fix it. I have checked google and this site and can't see anyone with this particular issue.

I'm assuming that the contacts categories is a pretty popular menu item so a bit confused about why I'm getting it. My assumption was that this had something to do with the template, but looking through the files I can't find anything that would cause it. This is my first time using joomla and I'm not a professional web developer so at this point feeling like I am missing something fairly obvious.

Just for the sake of fullness, there are also other weird things going on with this page. For example I have noticed that some CSS files do not always load, in particular one for the side menu (media/nextend/cache/css/n1427835600/31315f6fcd6ca465352d0c7940b0cfc3.css). This is the only page I have noticed this effect on.

Also the cache for this page doesn't update properly. Even after clearing and purging the cache and clearing the cache on the browser, it takes a very long time for changes to appear on this page. This is the only page I have noticed this on.

Any guidance on fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks

NathanHawks
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Problem with contact categories layout

Post by NathanHawks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:08 pm

I suggest posting FPA for this one. You should also dig into web server logs looking for further information about the CSS file which refuses to load.

Meanwhile, is there any possibility at all:
- that you have copied and modified the template, and applied the modified template to the page in question?
- that you have modified the template after loading all these other pages, and the other pages are only still working normally, because they were cached before you modified (translation: broke) the template?
- that you have overridden the component-level template for this page, or perhaps for all pages except this one?
Save time - hire me for your Joomla to-do list! http://nathanhawks.us/joomla

erebus314
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erebus314 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 pm

What does FPA stand for?

1) I'm not sure how to do that. Pretty sure I haven't.
2) No as I have cleared and purged the cache repeatedly. Also I have created two test pages and put modules in those positions and there is no issue.
3) I have overridden the contacts component, but I did that after having this issue. I haven't actually found the page that loads the list view though. I could only find the page for generating the single contact items.

Thanks for your help

erebus314
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erebus314 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm

FPA is forum post assistant - found it almost straight after asking! Ok I'll try and use this

erebus314
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erebus314 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 pm

I should clarify about the override. As I'm not a professional developer, or any sort of developer really, I am avoiding doing anything like that. So far the only changes I have made are to k2 to add logos and copyright to print pages.

With the contacts component, after I found it wasn't working I created an override. So far the only thing in there that I have changed is 'default.php'. This is responsible for loading the individual items. My change was to add some style to the tags.
Last edited by erebus314 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NathanHawks
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by NathanHawks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:21 pm

Quick note despite not having any further help for you right yet... please remove the following three pieces of information, for your own safety:
Owner
Group
Doc Root

erebus314
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erebus314 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 pm

I fixed it! Glad to say it really wasn't me that caused the issue.

I was looking through the core joomla files via FTP and noticed that there was one level of DIV tag that they never generated, which happened to be the first one. Then reading over what you had said it clicked that it must be something in the template, despite there being nothing in com_contacts. After a bit of digging I found this file:

templates/shaper_helix3/html/layouts/joomla/content/categories_default.php

It was missing a closing DIV. I added it and everything works.

I'm going to remove the FPA completely now, but thanks for your help anyway.

NathanHawks
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by NathanHawks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 am

Aaaand that's another "JoomShaper's templates are broken" report from yet another user. Thanks for confirming I'm not just a hater ;) They might or might not appreciate it if you tell them.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”