What is the purpose of logs directory?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
doushabu06
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

What is the purpose of logs directory?

Post by doushabu06 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi! in this directory, I have the following files: error.php, index.html, joomla_update.php, plg_system_bfstop.log.php and jhackguard-log.php. So how does this thing work? Is it there for Joomla or me? Can I audit these files to track down some crackheads or something? ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edited by imanickam on Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the font size from [size=150]...[/size]

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: What is the purpose of logs directory?

Post by itoctopus » Mon May 04, 2015 3:21 am

Only the error.php and the *.log* files should be interesting to you - it is a good idea to check them often as they can reveal issues about your website.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

doushabu06
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by doushabu06 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:41 pm

itoctopus wrote:Only the error.php and the *.log* files should be interesting to you - it is a good idea to check them often.
Thanks dude

doushabu06
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by doushabu06 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:10 am

itoctopus wrote:Only the error.php and the *.log* files should be interesting.
Dude, upon investigating my site I came across a very weird occurrence. The administrator directory has in it a public_html directory with yet again logs and tmp sub directories inside. The contents of the administrator/public_html/logs is joomla_update.php and error.php. And the tmp is empty. Is this even supposed to happen, I mean is this an indication of a crackhead? OMG just found out another uncanny case: the administrator dir contains a home dir, in which contains a dir named the same as my web server account name. It looks like this /administrator/home/server_account_user-name/public_html/ then the two dirs: logs and tmp. The logs dir has error.php and joomla_update.php while the tmp dir has Joomla_3.3.x_to_3.3.3-Stable-Patch_Package.zip. I'm guessing my hosting server is either not OK or cracked. What is your advice. Thanks

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”