Can't get reCAPTCHA to work on 3.4.1

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jmccabe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can't get reCAPTCHA to work on 3.4.1

Post by jmccabe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi,

I've tried to configure reCAPTCHA for my contacts form on my website. I've got the keys, plugged them into the plugin settings and enabled the plugin. On the contacts form the reCAPTCHA is showing fine, I clidk on the "I'm not a robot" checkbox, it does some stuff, sometimes pops up something to fill in, changes to a tick when I do it right, I press the "Send" button, the "Contact Form" bit contracts and nothing happens.

I don't get any message thanking me for my email, no sign of any errors (when I tried setting the version to 1.0 I got an error showing about being unable to confirm the secret key or something so I set it back to 2.0) I don't receive any email.

If I disable the reCAPTCHA and use the same form it's fine and everything gets sent.

I've tried deleting the key at Google and creating a new one but that didn't help.

I'm not sure how to work out what's going wrong here so any help would be useful (I've had a look through the forum but haven't found an answer).

My website's at www.easthantsvolleyball.org.uk; I've put easthantsvolleyball.org.uk into the reCAPTCHA configuration at Google - is that right?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

John

jmccabe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can't get reCAPTCHA to work on 3.4.1

Post by jmccabe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:19 pm

In case it helps, I've tried the "Custom reCaptcha" plugin which appears to be fine.

cstelfair
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cstelfair » Fri May 29, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm experiencing the exact same issue and someone answered with some suggestions, but those didn't help. Hopefully, someone from joomla will see this and look into it. I've just used another contact form.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Fri May 29, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm experiencing the exact same issue and someone answered with some suggestions, but those didn't help. Hopefully, someone from joomla will see this and look into it.
Post your own issue and do not post in an April 2015 issue! Besides that it is not Joomla related but something in your own settings.

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

jmccabe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmccabe » Sat May 30, 2015 2:24 pm

leolam wrote:
I'm experiencing the exact same issue and someone answered with some suggestions, but those didn't help. Hopefully, someone from joomla will see this and look into it.
Post your own issue and do not post in an April 2015 issue! Besides that it is not Joomla related but something in your own settings.

Leo 8)
Do you use reCaptcha? Have you got it to work? Did it work straight away following what appear to be the relatively simple configuration options?

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:30 pm

jmccabe wrote:Do you use reCaptcha? Have you got it to work? Did it work straight away following what appear to be the relatively simple configuration options?
Yes, using v2 at the moment on my J3.4.1 site. Used v1 before J3.4.0 was released. I use it on the registration form and on the Contacts email function. Had to generate new site keys when switching to the later version but that was it.

What template are you using. I seem to recall that there have been issues with a few templates. Have you tested with Protostar?
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

jmccabe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmccabe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm using favthemes Favourite template. I haven't tried with Protostar but will see if I can have a go.

Thanks for your suggestion.

jmccabe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmccabe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 pm

JAVesey wrote:
jmccabe wrote:Do you use reCaptcha? Have you got it to work? Did it work straight away following what appear to be the relatively simple configuration options?
Yes, using v2 at the moment on my J3.4.1 site. Used v1 before J3.4.0 was released. I use it on the registration form and on the Contacts email function. Had to generate new site keys when switching to the later version but that was it.

What template are you using. I seem to recall that there have been issues with a few templates. Have you tested with Protostar?
John,

I've now managed to find the time to try swapping to Protostar to see if this issue is template related. Unfortunately that didn't help at all.

So, going back to the start, the issue is that, if I have the Site Key and Secret Key set, with 1.0 selected, I can send messages from my contact form without any problems. With 2.0 selected as the reCaptcha version, same Site Key and Secret Key, same contact form, I get "Error. Verification was incorrect, please try again.".

Just in case the Site Key and Secret Key were the wrong way around, I swapped them but, in that case, I get "Invalid site key" when it tries to load the reCaptcha form thing.

I've no idea how I can try to debug this; like I said, configuring the plugin to use 1.0 is fine, change it to 2.0 and it doesn't work. I can't see any other configuration options so any more suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks
John

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”