Category name still showing when the article is accessed (Show category disabled in Global configuration)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Category name still showing when the article is accessed (Show category disabled in Global configuration)

Post by PF4Joomla » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi guys

I really can't understand what is going on here.
My front page is a blog category menu which shows all the articles (ordered by posting date)

In Global Configuration under Articles I disabled "Show category" .
My understanding is that this should not show the category of the article when the article is accessed (read more or click in the title link)
I can't figure out why the category name keeps showing up at the top of the article
Any idea what I am missing here ?
Thanks
P

Note: the category name does not show up when the article is listed on the front page (Blog category)

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Category name still showing when the article is accessed (Show category disabled in Global configuration)

Post by jonBuckner1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi

You need to check the settings for the menu item

Config options are in miltiple places and have hierarchy

PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Category name still showing when the article is accessed (Show category disabled in Global configuration)

Post by PF4Joomla » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 am

I just figured out that this has to do with the Option "show page heading" in the Menu options either at menu item level config or at Global config level under Menus

I think that this section has a lot to improve, not intuitive at all AND it seems that the global options are not honored at menu item level.
I had Show page heading set to No at Global level and as I posted above, the Page heading was still showing up. Besides the confusing wording Page (as in HTML page) heading instead of Article heading you are now looking at a "Page heading" under a Menu settings ...which is complete nonsense, semantically speaking

I can not tell you how this happened but I never tried to set and reset the global option in order to get rid of the above. I imagined that since I am looking at it and it says "Show Page Heading =No" this is what it will do ...but it was not doing it.

PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PF4Joomla » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:25 am

Under Global config --> Menus--->Page Display we have Page Class
I am assuming that if I set that value to "Saturn" I should be able to find "Saturn" in the code source for that page but ..it is not happening
As a mater of fact I could not use any of these custom classes where and when I needed them because they were not generated for the modules where I wanted them

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:18 am

Hi

You might have to take step back.
You seem to be expecting it to work a certain way and when it does not, you get annoyed with it.
I do that all the time...

Global settings is your starting point.
Then the menu can override it...

The labelling is a bit counter-intuitive at times, but find software that isn't.
Page class is a classic example.
It is not page class at all.
It is more like component-class.
You usually see the 'page-class' in the content area of your page. So it is a class for the page based upon the menu item but shows up in the component area and is therefore mot for the whole page.
I've still got blood stains on the wall from my headbutting trying to get round things like this.

Page heading is appropriate. Depends how you look at it.
You can have a heading for the page you are on. Why not have that option. The page does not have to be an article. If it said article heading that could be really confusing, too.
I might want a page heading then have the article title show as well underneath

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 am

PF4Joomla wrote:I think that this section has a lot to improve, not intuitive at all AND it seems that the global options are not honored at menu item level.
This is per design. Menu settings override global settings

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:58 am

PF4Joomla wrote:Under Global config --> Menus--->Page Display we have Page Class
I am assuming that if I set that value to "Saturn" I should be able to find "Saturn" in the code source for that page but ..it is not happening. As a mater of fact I could not use any of these custom classes where and when I needed them because they were not generated for the modules where I wanted them
do those classes actually exist in your css? Do these classes indeed read as Saturn and not "saturn' (non-caps) or should they be read like '_saturn' maybe? What template and/or farmework you are using? Your tome is so 'complaining' instead of 'wondering' what might go wrong and asking for help. Blaming and complaining won't resolve your issues nor will it make you a popular user people wanna help...just 2 ct's

Leo 8)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:28 am

It must be " saturn" to be a separate class and not a suffix to the existing class.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:58 am

Where are these uses what template Per?

Leo 8)

PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PF4Joomla » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:33 am

I am using JA Purity II as it is the only free template that I could find that allows the user to change the layout.
Sorry for the tone but this is supposed to be user friendly and not guessing work

That word, no matter where it is injected should be there in the page.
I actually used no CAPs in my class so searching the HTML code was supposed to get me a result

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm

H
Is the page class there when you use protostar (you can change that layout, too)?

PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PF4Joomla » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 pm

They are when I use some of the modules (I tried my luck with two of them that I did not need)

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 am

Hi

So what changes have you made?
To which template? Purity?
Maybe the component view has been removed from the menu item?
You need to start a new version and compare with current version as it seems a bit of a stab in the dark trying to second guess why you should or should not be seeing a page class based on what changes you have or have not done.

Re:
"They are when I use some of the modules"
This makes no sense in relation to the page class....

PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PF4Joomla » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 pm

I have decided to give up on the class issue since I am pressed by more urgent issues.
I will give it a try on a brand new install to see if with the default template works differently

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issues

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”