Article Order Issues in Joomla 3.6

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
markvolz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Article Order Issues in Joomla 3.6

Post by markvolz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:34 pm

I noticed there is a slight change in the global configuration options for article ordering that is causing headaches for me. Previously my article order was set using "Ordering" with the date for ordering set as "Created". This allowed me to manually place an "about the department" article on top of a category blog. The "about the department" article then was followed by the newest article that was created.

After updating to Joomla 3.6 I noticed that any new articles are now placed at the bottom of the category blog. I tried to fix this issue by changing the article ordering to the published date. However, this forced my "about the department article" to the bottom!

Next, I then tried to change the ordering to use the created date. On the backend I was able to give the "about the department" article a far future created date which will keep that on top, then it was can be followed by the newest article. This option is close to what I need however front end users will have no control over the order of an article.

I realize I could revert back to using the publish date, but I cannot give the "about the department" a far future date as that article will not display..

Questions:
In Joomla 3.6 is there a way to:
1) Keep an "about the department" page on top of the category?
2) As an alternative to #1, is there a way to display a category description as the "first article" in a category blog?
3) If the only way to keep my "about the department" on top followed by the newest article is by using the created date, then can front end users adjust the created date, which would in turn adjust the article order?

Thank You

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Article Order Issues in Joomla 3.6

Post by sovainfo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Should be fixed in j363.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Article Order Issues in Joomla 3.6

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Yes, you can set the Description to show in a Category Blog Menu Item. It will appear at the top before the articles.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”