How do I send out notifications to registered users every time a new article is published?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

How do I send out notifications to registered users every time a new article is published?

Post by Forsh » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm

As long as I have used Joomla (even when it was Mambo) I have never needed this function but I do now and I don't know if Joomla can do this by turning on a setting somewhere. Does anyone know if Joomla is able to do this without an extension or if it requires an extension is there one you recommend? I have Easyblog installed and it does this but I want to do this with the core Joomla article system.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: How do I send out notifications to registered users every time a new article is published?

Post by gws » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:57 pm

In global config you can enable/disable mass mail sending.
"Disable Mass Mail
No
Yes
Joomla offers a Mass Mail feature which allows a user with administrator access to send an email to all users of the site. On sites with more than a few dozen users this can be problematic or time out." I have never used it so don't know if it will do what you want.

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: How do I send out notifications to registered users every time a new article is published?

Post by Forsh » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 pm

gws wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:57 pm
In global config you can enable/disable mass mail sending.
"Disable Mass Mail
No
Yes
Joomla offers a Mass Mail feature which allows a user with administrator access to send an email to all users of the site. On sites with more than a few dozen users this can be problematic or time out." I have never used it so don't know if it will do what you want.
I have that turned on but it doesn't send out a new notification automatically to users when a Joomla article is posted.
Found a blog online suggesting putting public $notify_registered_users_on_new_article = '1'; into configuration.php so I am going to try that and see what happens.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm

Let us know how you get on please.

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:48 pm

gws wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm
Let us know how you get on please.
Tested it, just adding that line to the configuration.php doesn't work unfortunately.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

Thanks.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

You probably won't find any current solution for Joomla 3, which has long been End of Life. A quick Google search revealed many old forum posts of people asking about and wanting such a feature since 2014 (I didn't look any further than that).

I found a couple of extensions for J3 that would suit you, but they haven't been maintained in 6 years.

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... to-sender/ and
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... fications/

You could do it with ACYMailing (Enterprise Edition). See https://docs.acymailing.com/main-pages/ ... -campaigns
Last edited by AMurray on Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

Make sure the user is in a group that does NOT have 'Edit State' Permission. All users with 'Receive System Emails' Yes, will receive a notification email. They can then choose whether or not to publish it.

That is as about as close as you will get except perhaps for a plugin.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”