emails going to all users except admins (SU)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
PeregrineDesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

emails going to all users except admins (SU)

Post by PeregrineDesign » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:47 pm

The site was recently migrated to a new host. Version is 3.4.5. Don't want to upgrade until this is resolved. The problem was discovered when admins stopped receiving new user notifications. After much testing here is the most basic. When I sent a test (mass) email to any user group, it is received. But a test email to group Super Users is never received by any of those in that group. SU users are set to 'Receive System Emails.' Email is handled remotely by Office 365 server. But, as I said, other mass email tests are successful. Just not admin emails. What's up with that?

jfer3
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: emails going to all users except admins (SU)

Post by jfer3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 pm

This might be happening because the new host might be blocking emails coming from the same registered domain. For example, if you run yourdomain.com and your sending from [email protected], it might look at that as being malicious. You might want to talk to your hosting provider about this issue...

PeregrineDesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: emails going to all users except admins (SU)

Post by PeregrineDesign » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 pm

OK, I hope this helps someone. After much testing, I discovered that emails were going to newly created super users, but not to the existing ones before migration. All settings, as far as I could tell, were identical. The final test was to delete an existing, previous SU and re-add it with the same email and then it worked. That admin is not getting the emails. Very weird, but glad I found a way to fix it.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”