Can not get "Contacts" to display proper fields.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Rev_Tony
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Can not get "Contacts" to display proper fields.

Post by Rev_Tony » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 am

We have a list of about 300 contacts (a component). They are in different categories. We have a category list display. When you click on the category you get a display of the contacts in that category, but not all the information that we need displayed. We need:
Name
Email
City
Postal/Zip Code
Telephone
Mobile
Miscellaneous Information

In the admin "Contacts: Options" these are chosen to "Show" but they don't.

I'd appreciate any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can not get "Contacts" to display proper fields.

Post by imanickam » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:16 am

Try the following:

Open the corresponding menu item for Edit, in the tab "List Layouts" choose the value "Show" for the options that need to be displayed.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Rev_Tony
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rev_Tony » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Can not find this "List Layout" tab you speak of. When you say open "corresponding menu item for Edit" not sure what you mean. I can select all the contacts that display on a page and then choose "Edit" but that still doesn't get me a "List Layout" tab. Should I be doing what you want from choosing "Contacts" or "Categories?" Thanks for any help. If I choose a particular contact or select a group of contacts I will get a "Display" tab. However in there all the things I want to display are chosen for "show."

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:32 am

I am not referring to the contacts. I am referring to the Menu Item that displays the contacts' categories or the contacts.

What is your site's URL so that others can see what is happening?

What is the menu item type of the menu item that someone clicks to initiate the display of contacts/categories?
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

Rev_Tony
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rev_Tony » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:40 am

imanickam Thank you for staying involved. Yes I figured out you were referring to the menu. I figured a little out. What I need is to get the correct Contact information to display in the Category display. The correct information displays once the contact is chosen. However when the Category is displaying the Contact are displaying 5 fields: name, email, city, phone, and mobile. What controls that? I need to get also it to display "zip code" and the "misc. information" when I am looking at each category.

URL: www.miracles-course.org
Top Menu (currently in last position) ACIM Groups

The first click gives the category list. That's fine (I need to change a few things -- but it's fine). When you click on the category you get a display of all the contacts in that category. However I can't figure out how to get it to display the correct information. If you click on the contact itself the information then displays. I figured that out.

Thanks for your help.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:49 am

The display is controlled by the code in the file default_items.php that is located in the directory \components\com_contact\views\category\tmpl.

If needed, you could override the code in that file using the HTMl Output Override technique as documented at https://docs.joomla.org/How_to_override ... omla!_core and https://docs.joomla.org/Understanding_Output_Overrides.

However, I notice that you are using a Gantry template. So, suggest looking into how to do the override in that framework.

Rev_Tony
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rev_Tony » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 am

Thanks. However, I don't have the skill to do that kind of work.

Rev_Tony
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rev_Tony » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:53 am

imanickam,

I found the file in question. It is not that large. I might be able to figure this out. I would need to know how Joomla is naming the fields that I want included, "Zip Code" and "Misc. Information." How would I find that out?

Rev_Tony

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:46 am

The column names for those fields in the database are postcode and misc.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”