Password Request doesn't always send

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Dragon41673
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Password Request doesn't always send

Post by Dragon41673 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:52 pm

I've had reports from some of my customers that when they forgot their password, they use the "Forgot Password" link in the sign in screen...only to never get a password rest email sent to them. Others have gotten it several days later after numerous tries. What can be done to fix this? This is on Joomla 3.3.6.

Thanks!

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Password Request doesn't always send

Post by sovainfo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Run your site on a local implementation of XAMPP, configured to send the mail to disk. Use the extension to login as a user but with your super user password. Login as those users and request for the reminder. Verify the mail in the output folder. Consult your provider with the mail and ask him why the mail wasn't sent.

As an alternative you can configure PHP to do that in your production site as well. Look for logging email in PHP.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

Dragon41673
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Password Request doesn't always send

Post by Dragon41673 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry, I'm a noob, I have no idea how to use XAMPP. The learning curve is quite steep on that for a beginner. Any other suggestions?

I was told that gmail as issues "sending" emailed from the site. My site uses a gmail email address as the send from. Users that have stated they have not received the emails are on gmail, hotmail, and yahoo...so it does seem like it's a sending problem, not a receiving one.

Currently my settings are on PHP Mailer. Should I switch to SMTP or something?

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”