Modules - speed

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
patipat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Modules - speed

Post by patipat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 am

Hi!

Generally I know that the less is the number of modules the better performance of website. However is it true for all modules or just for modules on page that is to be loaded?

Eg. Lets assume I have 1000 banner modules in Joomla and each of them is loaded just with one article but each article has no more than 1 banner module.
Shortly speaking:
total number of banner modules: 1000
1 article = 1 banner module.

So, does the total number of 1000 banner modules slow down the speed of article load even if each article is accompanied by only one banner module?

montano
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Modules - speed

Post by montano » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Perhaps it is a database query issue? Which banner shall I show? Let me look in the database and see. Wow, there are 1000 to choose from. tick tock, tick tock :-)

patipat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Modules - speed

Post by patipat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 pm

Aj! So it is general problem because if I have 1000 articles or 1000 registered users there will be queries to database with many records as well.

I was presuming that it can be associated with database queries but discarded that option as it is quite easy to generate 1000 articles/registered users and it seemed unlikely because many websites would be very slow. What's more every text on optimizing joomla sites tells about reducing number of modules and nothing about number of eg. articles/registered users. The question is why if in both cases situation is the same as with modules (I mean data queries)?

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”