Joomla 3.3 Very Slow, Slow Database Queries

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
joe642
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 3.3 Very Slow, Slow Database Queries

Post by joe642 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been working on a Joomla site for a couple of months now, the site was originally done by an external web developer. It was migrated from Joomla 1.5. The site is very slow, heavy cacheing has improved the speed slightly, but there is a lot of pages and most of them aren't accessed again until long after the cache has expired.

I suspect that there maybe something wrong with the database, and that it may have been a bit of a botched migration. The database itself is only 5mb, the web traffic for the month is 4.6gb, but the traffic between the MySQL server is 60gb in one week! I checked on phpmyadmin, and every time a page is accessed the data returned from the database is 10mb.

I have used ACL to fix the asset table, it found over 1000 issues. Initially I tried a different server, this knocked about 2 seconds off the page loads but there is still a very wait before it even begins to load anything.

I cannot check the debug information for the database queries, as when I click the tab nothing happens. Debugging is still enabled on the test site that is on the subdomain.

The site itself is www.djbinstruments.com, the slightly faster one on my server is djb1.jatec.co.uk.

Am I looking at rebuilding the site myself? Or would it be possible to rebuild certain areas of the database by creating new categories and removing all of the old content?

adonismedia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla 3.3 Very Slow, Slow Database Queries

Post by adonismedia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 pm

There are a few things that can cause this and certainly a botched or extension filled site can cause problems, its always better to go a clean as possible to ensure your system loads super fast, some templates that come from a template house can be full of bloat and prevent the system loading as quickly as say the default Protostar template.

Have you tested the server environment at all?

A 5MB database is pretty small, how many articles are we talking?

Do you have many extensions installed? if so, are there loads that are installed but unpublished?

How did your developer carry out the migration from J1.5 to J3x, did they use a migration component?

Have you tried putting on the system debug and looking at the output to see whats slowing the system down?
Derek Buntin
https://www.facebook.com/adonismedia - Follow us on facebook
http://www.adonismedia.com - Professional Joomla! Development

joe642
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joe642 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have tested the site on a different server, it is a little bit faster, but still not very good. We have about 200 articles on the site.

There are quite a lot installed, I will delete all that are not used. I have asked the developer how the migration was performed, but didn't get a response. I don't think any migration tool was used, it was done manually from what he has said in the past. I found loads of old redundant tables from the old site, such as the old JoomFish translations.

I have tried the debug thing, the database tab does not work. Here is a link to the site on the other server: djb1.jatec.co.uk. The debug is turned on still.

jisse
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jisse » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi,

Is it correct this no longer is an issue? I've checked your homepage and it loads in 500 ms. As for the database tab, it does work. However, the database section does not contain any database query information. Perhaps because debugging was not completely enabled?
Jisse Reitsma
founder of Yireo / author of Programming Joomla Plugins book
www.yireo.com

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”