Joomla update issues

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Suuzerd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla update issues

Post by Suuzerd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Everytime i try to update my Joomla sites to a newer version, i get the message that Joomla can't read my website's files. I've installed Joomla exactly according to the installation guide and all FTP files have 644 permissions and the maps have 755 permission. The only way that i can upgrade my website is to put all files to the 777 permission and once done, reset them to the 644 and 755 permissions. This is really time consuming.

I've contacted my hosting company to discuss this matter and the only solution they came up with is to install a module called Mod_Ruid2 on my server. This means that all files in the ftp are mirrored with an 777 permission, which i think could be unsafe. Is there anyone with an other solution?

Thanks!

jcms
I've been banned!

Re: Joomla update issues

Post by jcms » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:58 pm

your server is linux or windows

Suuzerd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Suuzerd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Linux (CentOS)

Alcor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alcor » Wed May 06, 2015 7:02 am

I get the same problem. I can't upgrade my Joomla! version 2.5.28 to 3.4.1. I have to change manually the permissions files to have not errors messages in upgrade. I haven't managed to get more than 0% in percentage complete level. Always I get errors like:

ERROR:
Could not open /home/xxxx/domains/xxxxxx.com/public_html/administrator/components/com_finder/controller.php for writing.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”