Smart Search can be exceptionally slow

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
MarySutton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Smart Search can be exceptionally slow

Post by MarySutton » Thu May 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Running Joomla 3.3.6

The Smart Search plugin on some of my sites is running exceptionally slow and there is no visual indicator that the search is running (because the site is launched in a window that hides the browser status bar for security reasons - I am passing the username/password in plain text and no, encryption is not a possibility) and does not have tabs, the default indicators in a browser - address field status or any indicators on tabs - are not available.

This is a site with a lot of content (numbers of articles). Is there a way to speed this up? If not, is there a search plugin available that would provide an indicator/status message? Or how can I request this as an enhancement to the Smart Search plugin?

I found a similar issue in the archives, but it does not look as though there were any responses.

Mary Sutton

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Smart Search can be exceptionally slow

Post by itoctopus » Thu May 28, 2015 2:46 pm

On large websites, we use Sphinx instead of the Smart Search plugin. We completely disable smart search and modify the search to use Sphinx. The difference in search speed is truly amazing (milliseconds vs seconds).

Note that in order to use Sphinx you will need to have a dedicated server that can handle it properly (a VPS might work).
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”