Joomla with Redis cache - no performance gain

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
goyoka
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla with Redis cache - no performance gain

Post by goyoka » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Dear Everyone,

I was so excited when Redis cache support for J! 3.4 has announced since I have a great experience with Redis; big performance boost on other php scripts (Xenforo, Prestashop, Magento).

My problem is that I can't see any performance gain compared to plain file cache/Jotcache etc. on Joomla. Checked this on several of our servers and J! installations with the same results, the pages in some cases even rendered slower compared to file caches.

In case of other scripts switching from file cache to Redis gave at least 1.5x speed increase, in some cases our sites are 3-4x times faster.

I did some searching and found out that I'm not the only one with this problem (unanswered topics on Redit, Serverfault etc.).
Even though the Redis configured well (Joomla is using the Redis database) performance gain is neglectable compared to other scripts on the same servers.

Is there anyone out there who tested J! and Redis Cache on larger sites (with 10.000+ com_content articles)?
Similar experiences?
Is there anyone who has visibly faster Joomla site with Redis compared to file cache?

Thank in advance...

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”