[youtube] video affecting loading time in website.

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dafaher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[youtube] video affecting loading time in website.

Post by dafaher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello guys, I was wondering if you could help me. Is there any trick or extension to optimize [youtube] videos? The thing is... I embed one on my index page and it increases -a lot- the loading time of my website (it jumps from 300 kb to almost 1 mb, it's insane!), so I had to delete it. I'm using jch optimize but it doesn't have any effect on [youtube] videos. Thanks in advance for any tip or suggestion!

Unisoftdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [[[youtube]]] video affecting loading time in website.

Post by Unisoftdev » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:03 pm

if it's not a problem of a 3rd party plugin/module full of JavaScripts...

You're loading from [youtube] servers thus the data flow is between [youtube] datacenters and visitors. It's not issue of your website at all. Maybe, you'll like to help Google to improve their website, even, you can get very well paid for this job :)

However, you can make a timed load with JavaScript/Ajax. All the element can be hidden till a time. But the HTML5 video is supposed to be loading after when your own pages are loaded completely. The video doesn't start to load sooner than anything on your website. That's the difference between HTML4 and HTML5 video.

dafaher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [[[[youtube]]]] video affecting loading time in website.

Post by dafaher » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Unisoftdev wrote:if it's not a problem of a 3rd party plugin/module full of JavaScripts...

You're loading from [[youtube]] servers thus the data flow is between [[youtube]] datacenters and visitors. It's not issue of your website at all. Maybe, you'll like to help Google to improve their website, even, you can get very well paid for this job :)

However, you can make a timed load with JavaScript/Ajax. All the element can be hidden till a time. But the HTML5 video is supposed to be loading after when your own pages are loaded completely. The video doesn't start to load sooner than anything on your website. That's the difference between HTML4 and HTML5 video.
Thank you so much for your reply, Unisoftdev. I will study more my code, I don't think it's optimized as html5, so you really helped me saying that. Thanks again!!

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”