Joomla and CDN(s)

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Shimei
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla and CDN(s)

Post by Shimei » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello,

I have some questions and could use some experienced input on the matter of CDNs. I had a load time of 10 seconds while using Cloudflare's free service. Last night I decided to try Amazon Cloudfront. There was only a one second performance increase between the two. But when I enabled Cloudflare while also using Cloudfront I received around a 4 second increase in performance. Coupled with Siteground's Joomla Booster Package, where images are served dynamically from a cache server... something great happened - my load times went down into the two second range. Is this a normal practice? regarding running multiple CDNs? Should I try to optimize using only one, or just ride out the overall performance increase I am seeing now in Gtmetrix.com with multiple CDNs?

Here's a link to the Amazon setup I had done last night: http://www.reformedchristianity.org/for ... mance.html

I hadn't finished it yet, because as I mentioned before, I ended up enabling Cloudflare to compliment Cloudfront.

pinkshirt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Joomla and CDN(s)

Post by pinkshirt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 am

I think it would make it harder to maintain the site in the long run when using multiple CDN's. You're better off working out what is giving you the best performance and then optimising that.

While you are looking at optimising your site, here's another suggestion. A lot of the images you are using have quite a large file size and can be further compressed (without losing too much quality.) For instance header_destroyed.png and page_cracks.png are 283kb and 565kb. If you process them through tinypng.com they reduce to 100kb and 202kb. Do this for all your png files and it will help.

Shimei
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Shimei » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:47 am

pinkshirt wrote:I think it would make it harder to maintain the site in the long run when using multiple CDN's. You're better off working out what is giving you the best performance and then optimising that.

While you are looking at optimising your site, here's another suggestion. A lot of the images you are using have quite a large file size and can be further compressed (without losing too much quality.) For instance header_destroyed.png and page_cracks.png are 283kb and 565kb. If you process them through tinypng.com they reduce to 100kb and 202kb. Do this for all your png files and it will help.
Thank you! The score on page speed has gone from a B to an A just with tinypng!

roadwarrior
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by roadwarrior » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:37 am

I might try that set up. I have cloudflare pro and I'm still getting 4-7 sec. Lowest 3.

Martin1971
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Martin1971 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:38 am

Have you found a way to leverage browser catching using Joomla? What score are you getting from Googles page speed test?

Shimei
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Shimei » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the delay. My results can be viewed here: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.reforme ... g/ZODcIGTh

or try the page yourself at http://www.reformedchristianity.org

I am using and having great results with Jch Optimizer from the joomla extension directory which helped tremendously, especially in the number of requests. With Amazon Cloudfront I have a double A rating as you can see. I ditched Cloudflare altogether.

zagorskey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zagorskey » Wed May 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Maxcdn and Edgecast have been concidered one of the best cdn providers worldwide, both of them giving faster respond results than Amazon. Which is your website's location?

pacowilson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pacowilson » Thu May 22, 2014 3:33 am

Actually, I am very satisfied the cloudflare CDN free service. If your site takes 10 seconds for loading, you need to check your website response time. CDN only cache your images and CSS, but it doesn't cache your dynamic content. Using the pingdom tool to analysis each of element loading time. To minimize the server response time, you need to optimize your joomla website through deleting unnecessary components, plugins. Finally, you can go to "Global configuration" then enable debug, you will see the executing time for database queries.

Hit in nutshell, you can use the Jotcache, JCH optimize to optimize your joomla website. Secondly, go to your server to check the usage of CPU and RAM. If the RAM cpu usage up to 100%, that means there is something wrong with your server hardware or PHP version.
Design & sell wireless alarm system based on GSM, no monthly fee. http://www.hkvstar.com

robertruiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by robertruiz » Tue May 27, 2014 4:12 am

you are right the cloudflare CDN free service is very usefull. actually i also use it.

Dcolorado
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dcolorado » Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 am

For what its worth, we have utilized Cloudflare in the past and also had pretty good results.

damoncloudflare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by damoncloudflare » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:38 pm

" but it doesn't cache your dynamic content."

Just a quick note that CloudFlare doesn't cache dynamic content by default, as you said, but you can actually extend our caching through PageRules.
CloudFlare Community Evangelist

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”