Joomla HIT counter wont update properly

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sn1p3ras
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla HIT counter wont update properly

Post by sn1p3ras » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:34 am

Last night I had according to Google Analytics 57 Page views on a specific article on my site but my Joomla is showing just 22. I tried seeing the page my self and after refreshing some times I did get the counter to rise but after a while... Yesterday I activated (Progressive) caching for the site and I think after this my articles lost the count efficiency cause till that point I was hitting around 40-50 on every article.

Can there be a problem with facebook linking? Because most of the traffic came from facebook, although I don't think so cause almost everyday my traffic is from facebook!

Any clues to what might have happened?

Thanks,
John

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Joomla HIT counter wont update properly

Post by waarnemer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:12 pm

the hit counter does track the count of hits which really do trigger a page being rendered from PHP code and DB content.
If your page is cached to does not do that...
When your page is cached in your browser........ no count at all...

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Joomla's caching has a huge issue with hit count. It seems that it hasn't been fixed. I wouldn't rely on Joomla's default hit count if caching is enabled.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:15 pm

It's better to offload stats to Google and take it off your server and don't use any php processing for it, it's free and what it's designed for Google Analytics and similar services. May not be instantly up to date but hey free is free.

Caching is good on website performance so I'd keep that in place.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 am

There is no analysis around which will show the absolute correct stats.
If you are using caching systems on your Joomla install, it will show the wrong figures in the core hot counter.
If you use any CDN it will show even worse figures in the core hit counter.
All hits to an article are counted. So a page refresh on a non cached page will increment the counter where Google Analytics will check if a visitor hasn't been there for the last x amount of time. The "Total Events" on a page is even a little bit corrected that way...

But even GA will loose some hits (private browsing, IP addresses not set correctly to locations... and on) Then again, statistics only have value when you have large numbers anyway...

The stats in Joomla just can be used from a technical perspective... for real analysis you use GA or if you want to have your own, use Piwick..

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”