Is it safe to uninstall Joomla components like Banners, Contacts, News feed and search if not using them

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
DonnieDarko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Is it safe to uninstall Joomla components like Banners, Contacts, News feed and search if not using them

Post by DonnieDarko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:18 am

Hi,
We are trying to improve the speed of our Joomla 3.5.1 site and we realised that there are quite a few core components that we would never use, such as Banners, contacts, messaging, news feed and search. My questions are:
1. Will there be any performance (speed) improvement if we disable/remove these core components?
2. If there is any improvement, will disabling them the same as removing them?
3. Are there any potential issues of removing these components, for example will there be errors later when updating/upgrading Joomla?

numinousmedia
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Is it safe to uninstall Joomla components like Banners, Contacts, News feed and search if not using them

Post by numinousmedia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:26 pm

I've been getting rid of unwanted core components for the last few years, not so much because they make a huge speed difference, but because I wanted to simplify my admin interface as much as possible, especially for end clients.

So to answer your questions...

1. Probably there will be little to no speed improvement by eliminating these components. If there is any improvement, I think it will be minimal.
2. I think the answer to this is yes, disabling would create about the same effect as removing them. If were were talking about a security vulnerability, I would urge you to completely remove the offending extension, but since we are looking for speed improvements, disabling them is probably a better, less destructive route.
3. I routinely remove banners and news feed on my own sites because I just about never use them. I've also removed contacts without causing any trouble. You should be okay removing saerch, but this is one that I've never messed with. I think in all of these cases, disabling will provide a non-destructive way of handling these issues.
Ryan
Frontend Developer and Joomla Professional
Ethode Website Development: http://www.ethode.com
Personal Site: http://www.numinousmedia.com

deleted user

Re: Is it safe to uninstall Joomla components like Banners, Contacts, News feed and search if not using them

Post by deleted user » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Yes there are issues with removing the core components.

1) Their files end up back on the filesystem anyway because they're packaged with the core updates.
2) If there are any SQL statements to be run during the update involving the database tables from those components and those tables aren't present, the update fails critically.

Just disable them. Joomla will not execute disabled extensions (from that perspective it's as good as uninstalling them) so even if there is a security vulnerability involving them a potential hack would either have to direct execute an offending file or get malicious files onto your server to trigger the offending code (in which case you've got bigger issues anyway).

DonnieDarko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DonnieDarko » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Thank you both for your reply and they are very helpful. In this case since all the components I am referring to are Joomla core components, having them disabled wouldn't increase any potential hack risk would it? Basically when Joomla update itself, it would update these components if necessary even they are disabled on the site?

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 pm

The potential hack risk decreases from core, core with disabled extensions, core with extensions removed.
But that is a rather theoretical situation, you can't abuse what is not there.

The update of Joomla expects these extensions to be there, they don't need to be active, just there. They'll be updated regardless whether they are disabled.

When removing extensions from core, suggest to change your update procedure. Adjust the patches and remove references to those extensions there as well. That means files, table changes and script.php.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

DonnieDarko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DonnieDarko » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 am

Thank you, that's all clear now.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”