Migrating from HostMonster to DreamHost

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
The-Forgotten
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Migrating from HostMonster to DreamHost

Post by The-Forgotten » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Joomla Community,

I have been creating a new website for the company I work on my personal host (HostMonster). They have another host (DreamHost). I am looking to migrate the website I created from HostMonster to DreamHost. Before replacing anything on their website I will first run the website on a sub-folder [domain.com/home]. Once I have confirmed the website and all the features are fully functional, I will create a re-direct to the correct URL [domain.com/home].

Now that you all know the game plan, how can I accomplish this and does anyone else have experience to help me out. I have never done this before and cannot mess up their current configuration(s).

Many thanks in advance!
Working with Joomla since 2008!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrating from HostMonster to DreamHost

Post by imanickam » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 am

(I) Moving the site from one service provider to another service provider

You could transfer your site developed in Joomla! to another host/location by the following ways.

(i) Use the extension Akeeba Backup Core (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606) to backup your site including the database. You have to transfer the archive file created by Akeeba Backup Core to your remote host and use the kickstart.php script file (created by Akeeba Backup Core developers) to restore the site. Also, you would have a back-up permanently.

(ii) Use the manual process. Review the document http://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website for more information.

Note:
(a) In both the cases, you have to create a new database on the remote host, create a user for the database, grant all privileges to the user for connecting to it.
(b) At the destination location, make sure to create the site in a sub-directory that is under the directory where your domain is pointing to - mostly this would be public_html or www.

(II) Moving the site from sub-directory to the main directory

Suggest reviewing the document http://docs.joomla.org/Moving_the_site_ ... irectories.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

The-Forgotten
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Migrating from HostMonster to DreamHost

Post by The-Forgotten » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 pm

THANK YOU! I used the Akeeba Back Up method and it worked flawlessly, even with different versions of PHP on the servers. You saved me a lot of time and I am very grateful!
Working with Joomla since 2008!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”