Error Jupdate from 2.5.26 to 3.3.5

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wallyhowe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error Jupdate from 2.5.26 to 3.3.5

Post by wallyhowe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I am in the process of migrating a site and used Joomla! update to go from 2.5.25 to 3.3.4.
Then 2.5.26 and 3.3.5 were released so I upgraded the Joomla 2.5 site and tried to move to 3.3.5 using Joomla! update.
i get the message ERROR!Invalid login
The system then sits there with the system busy wheel going round.
This is consistent even after repeating the whole process from scratch.

i have just tried upgrading to 2.5.27-dev and the same thing happens.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Error Jupdate from 2.5.26 to 3.3.5

Post by xfsgpr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 pm

As far as I know, there is no direct upgrade from 2.5.x to 3.3.5. This is considered to be a major upgrade and so you have to go through all the rigmaroles of backups and restore.

There are no shortcuts that I have found useful here. I have seen people advertising their services for doing this but they are just too expensive to my liking.

I take it you have seen this document, right?

http://docs.joomla.org/J2.5:Upgrading_f ... ng_version

wallyhowe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wallyhowe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:46 am

Yes - I was using Method A.

Also see;

http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_3_FAQ

This talks about using STS in Joomla! update to go from 2.5.x to 3.3.X and was what I used going from 2.5.25 to 3.3.4. This worked but I still had issues to resolve and had not completed which is why I went to 2.5.26 and 3.3.5.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:07 am

I accomplished this myself from J 2.5 to J 3.1 a while back. It was a bit tricky. I finally decided to import articles via db tables into a blank J3 and update the tables with the fix button (extension manager) and such. It worked, but it took a lot of steps and had to be very well thought out. I suppose at least one of my upgrades worked alright, but I was noticing some issues that made me uncomfortable which is why I used the safer but more time consuming method.

wallyhowe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wallyhowe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks Josh

This is actually the route i have started on. So far i have successfully migrated tables for Community Builder, nBill, Jevents and Kunena.
It is the articles that are concerning me but you seem to have found a way. Which tables are involved?
Wallyhowe

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 am

I created a test site, installed J2XML and also installed it into my J 2.5 site. Then I exported the data onto my desktop, installed it into my test site (J3) via J2XML. You might not need a test site for this, but it was nice to have for swapping other data.

I know this is a different story than my last post (I got a terrible concussion over a month ago which might make some memories not as clear). My site got hacked over a year ago from a security exploit in my host provider which forced me to restart and do the steps from my last post. I did a big investigation on it and only the people on my host was effected. :-\

wallyhowe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wallyhowe » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks Josh thats great input.

Wallyhowe

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”