Update issues (3.3.4 to 3.4.1)

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Aglaea
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Update issues (3.3.4 to 3.4.1)

Post by Aglaea » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:40 pm

I want to update one website from 3.3.4 to 3.4.1 (even though I have no idea why I should, what the bug fixes and new features are, etc...). I just doesn't work. These are my issues:

1) When I choose "write files directly", I get a warning that some file can't be updated,
2) I constantly get messages that files are not readable. Why doesn't the installer check before if it can go through the install successfully?
3) at some point, when I keep changing permissions of directories, the administration console is no longer working and I can get my back-up of last night and start again,
4) when I try to do the install with FTP and I enter all the FTP info that works for my CODA, I get a totally vague and useless error and there is no install... but I have NO IDEA what I did wrong!

Who has similar issues?
How can I request a proper check with the install and better error messages? This way I won't upgrade Joomla on this domain anymore. It's too buggy and too risky.

jcms
I've been banned!

Re: Update issues (3.3.4 to 3.4.1)

Post by jcms » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:46 pm

backup one version first.... then use package update and install via extension manager.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Suggest to use a more reliable and properly configured infrastructure to upgrade your site.

Each of your problems are due to the fact the webserver doesn't have write access to the webspace. Not meeting that requirement is going to give you all kind of issues, including the ones you mention with updating.
When properly configuring the webserver is too much to ask, take your site to a local envrionment that is under your control. Upgrade there and move the upgraded site back to your provider. See docs.joomla.org for moving your site.

Suggest to look for a different provider, one that understands this business. Assuming you haven't messed up yourself!
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:42 pm

http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”