Update to Joomla 3.4 fail.."1242 Subquery returns more than"

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tomcosta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Update to Joomla 3.4 fail.."1242 Subquery returns more than"

Post by tomcosta » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Hello I tryied to update my website Joomla version to 3.4, and i have this message:
1242 Subquery returns more than 1 row SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_update_sites_extensions` (`update_site_id`, `extension_id`) VALUES ((SELECT `update_site_id` FROM `jos_update_sites` WHERE `name` = 'Joomla! Update Component Update Site'), (SELECT `extension_id` FROM `jos_extensions` WHERE `name` = 'com_joomlaupdate'));
After this my website is slow and not complete to load...
May someone help me please?
Follows the screenshot.
Thanks!

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Update to Joomla 3.4 fail.."1242 Subquery returns more t

Post by sovainfo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 am

Suggest to change administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql/3.3.6-2014-09-30.sql
Add to: WHERE `name` = 'com_joomlaupdate
AND `type` = 'component'

Verify in phpMyAdmin that:
SELECT `extension_id` FROM `#__extensions` WHERE `name` = 'com_joomlaupdate' AND `type`= 'component'
only returns 1 row.

When multiple rows are returned find out which one is the correct one and remove the others or change their name.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

itwhizzkid99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itwhizzkid99 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi there,

For some reason, in some situations, the Joomla 3.4.0 installer repeats the Joomla 3.3.6 MySql update, but it's a very easy fix.

After updating to Joomla 3.4.0, please go to Extensions > Extensions Manager > Database and click 'Fix' to correct any issues.

tomcosta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tomcosta » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello!

Thank you guys for the answers.
I'm beginner, so the last one was more simple for me to do, and i think it solve the problem definitely.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,

wingcmmndr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wingcmmndr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks happened to me too on install, but one click of refresh and it loaded fine so i presumed it was my internet teach me a lesson in not checking next time

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, the Extension manager->Database->Fix is not going to Fix it for you. That is for STRUCTURAL changes ONLY, as reported!!!

So far, a ->Fix has never been a solution for a failed update!

itwhizzkid99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itwhizzkid99 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 pm

Sovainfo you are correct. I guess the full fix would be:
- if you get this error, go to Extensions > Manage > Database > Fix
- then, in PHPMyAdmin run the following MySql commands, replacing the #__ for the correct database prefix:

INSERT INTO `#__postinstall_messages` (`extension_id`, `title_key`, `description_key`, `action_key`, `language_extension`, `language_client_id`, `type`, `action_file`, `action`, `condition_file`, `condition_method`, `version_introduced`, `enabled`)
VALUES
(700, 'COM_CPANEL_MSG_HTACCESS_TITLE', 'COM_CPANEL_MSG_HTACCESS_BODY', '', 'com_cpanel', 1, 'message', '', '', 'admin://components/com_admin/postinstall/htaccess.php', 'admin_postinstall_htaccess_condition', '3.4.0', 1);

INSERT INTO `#__extensions` (`extension_id`, `name`, `type`, `element`, `folder`, `client_id`, `enabled`, `access`, `protected`, `manifest_cache`, `params`, `custom_data`, `system_data`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `ordering`, `state`) VALUES
(801, 'weblinks', 'package', 'pkg_weblinks', '', 0, 1, 1, 0, '', '', '', '', 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0);

INSERT INTO `#__update_sites` (`name`, `type`, `location`, `enabled`) VALUES
('Weblinks Update Site', 'extension', 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jooml ... nifest.xml', 1);

INSERT INTO `#__update_sites_extensions` (`update_site_id`, `extension_id`) VALUES
((SELECT `update_site_id` FROM `#__update_sites` WHERE `name` = 'Weblinks Update Site'), 801);

DELETE FROM `#__extensions` WHERE `extension_id` = 100;

UPDATE `#__extensions` SET `protected` = '0' WHERE `name` = 'plg_editors-xtd_article' AND `type` = "plugin" AND `element` = "article" AND `folder` = "editors-xtd";

These commands are all pulled from the new Joomla 3.4 updates, and don't include the structural changes.

The real problem is that a single glitch on the MySql updater prevents all further MySql updates from being committed, but the update still registers as complete. So you can't re-update Joomla to recommit these updates, they have to be done manually. The same problem happens if an extension update or install fails for some reason. So it'd be good if the inbuilt Joomla updater could work with glitches like this i.e. save them to a log and allow the other MySql commands to complete normally, rather than completely crashing the update.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:31 pm

My advice is to fix the issue, restore and update again. The update fails because there was something wrong. The fact it is executing a statement that it is not supposed to, means something went wrong. So far, nobody identified the exact cause. Increasing max_execution_time has avoided failure, so has changing engine to MyISAM.
EDIT: This assumes that it is executing a statement not supposed to, OP never mentioned the version he updated. So, the 3.3.6.sql could be run ligit.

Your "solution" still leaves script.php that changes a number of things like adding missing components, updating manifests and removing unwanted old scripts.

The update requires a properly functioning underlying infrastructure. It could be structured differently and divided into steps that could be undone or redone/continue after fixing something. Currently it either all or nothing.
Last edited by sovainfo on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tim92109
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tim92109 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 am

WTH??? Are core updates not checked for bugs anymore? I'm just interested in knowing how this update was released without testing. I'm no longer going to trust automatic updates.... at least not until the person responsible is not allowed to participate in Joomla core development anymore. Can just anyone that doesn't know what they're doing participate?

Sorry, but I'm not happy right now with the Joomla development team. >:(

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:47 am

tim92109 wrote:WTH??? Are core updates not checked for bugs anymore? I'm just interested in knowing how this update was released without testing. I'm no longer going to trust automatic updates.... at least not until the person responsible is not allowed to participate in Joomla core development anymore. Can just anyone that doesn't know what they're doing participate?

Sorry, but I'm not happy right now with the Joomla development team. >:(
That's a strong stance to take. By your account, I should have been ushered out of the project months ago as the PLT member coordinating 3.2 and 3.3 releases.

This error is not a core update bug. A properly installed and maintained site would not have hit this error, ever. This specific error is caused by there being two (or more) records in the extensions table for the com_joomlaupdate component. There should only ever be one. How the second (or additional) records got there is unknown, but the invalid data causes errors. In this case, it is because we're doing a subquery during the update process to fetch the correct extension ID to use in another database table. The subquery should only return one result, but it doesn't.

itwhizzkid99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itwhizzkid99 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:27 am

sovainfo wrote:The update requires a properly functioning underlying infrastructure. It could be structured differently and divided into steps that could be undone or redone/continue after fixing something. Currently it either all or nothing.
I completely agree, but unfortunately it is what it is at the moment.

I have been able to reliably reproduce the error described. Firstly install a new Joomla 3.3.6 system. Then open the __schemas data table and change the schema name to anything other than 3.3.6-2014-09-30 (e.g. 3.3.6-123). Then install the latest Joomla 3.3.4 update. It looks like it's a schema mismatch issue. The underlying problem is that this causes the updater to crash.

Dear Joomla admins... there is a very easy fix although I know it's not necessarily the best one, it'll work and it's very easy to implement. In /administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/3.3.6-2014-09-30.sql change
(SELECT `update_site_id` FROM `#__update_sites` WHERE `name` = 'Joomla! Update Component Update Site')
to
(SELECT `update_site_id` FROM `#__update_sites` WHERE `name` = 'Joomla! Update Component Update Site' LIMIT 1)

Alternative fix #2:

I have created a very easy fix that you install as a Joomla extension. It will rerun all database updates (including inserts) made from 3.3.6 to 3.4.0, and also run all the other Joomla script.php changes. I have tested this and it works correctly to fix this bug in the Joomla installer, but if anyone has any corrections or suggestions feel free to go ahead and make those. This was developed as a simple solution to distribute to my clients. It can be installed and then uninstalled immediately, it will have done its magic.

I am attaching the zip file here, hopefully it's helpful for someone. N.B. it is designed to ONLY fix this one issue mentioned in this thread, it might or might not correct other update issues, and should be installed on Joomla 3.4.0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:09 am

tim92109 wrote:I'm no longer going to trust automatic updates.... at least not until the person responsible is not allowed to participate in Joomla core development anymore.
More fool you and I for one sincerely hope that mbabker treats that comment with the contempt it deserves :laugh:

A few people had issues but there are many thousands more who didn't have a problem, myself included. Why not get involved in the beta-testing next time rather than shooting your mouth off at those who give us their valuable time and expertise for the greater good?
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.0.3 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.0.3 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 am

Object to any change that ignores data corruption. Your fix solves the data corruption in #__update_sites (by the delete, not the proposed limit) but not for #__extensions.

itwhizzkid99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by itwhizzkid99 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:43 am

sovainfo wrote:Object to any change that ignores data corruption. Your fix solves the data corruption in #__update_sites (by the delete, not the proposed limit) but not for #__extensions.
OK but it is a proposed solution... if you can improve it please do so?

tim92109
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tim92109 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:07 am

Okay.. so I have more than 1 record where I should have one. I'm now running into other problems probably because of the corrupt update and have to go back and restore my site to before the update. By the way, this was a pretty clean install - installed this time by using the application manager in cPanel. That's why I was so angry with the update. Sorry [kinda]. I don't believe I should be running into this kind of issue on such a recent install.

I'll probably remove that extra record, but I'm not updating until the update for 3.5 comes out. Screw the 3.4 update. Not taking chances on it.

tim92109
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tim92109 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:38 am

OK... thanks for the help at least. Don't know who's fault it is and don't know why I really cared - except it kind of screwed up my day.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I think there's other reasons for this issue. I only have 1 record in my extension table for joomlaupdate.

It's just a bummer that I'll now have that same feeling I have with Joomla updates that I feel right before a WordPress update.

Just noticed under database that I have this error: Database update version (None) does not match CMS version (3.3.6).

Clicking 'fix' removed the error. But I'm still waiting until the next future update before updating. Seems like a safer bet.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:23 am

@tim92109 Your emotional outburst was a mistake, you corrected it, no problem.

I am not convinced the update caused the data corruption. Think it is more likely that corruption was not caused by the update but already there. You never mentioned the version you update from. Would like to know because it determines whether the 3.3.6 statement was run in error or not. The fact you have this error in Extension manager->Database suggests your update to J3.3.6 failed. Suspect that the update after the Fix in J3.3.6, succeeds without this error. What does your logs/joomla_update.php say?

As a general practice I would recommend not to use the .0 releases, wait for the .1 release. Due to the delayed release of J3.4, advice against waiting for J3.5, J3.3.6 is too old, should have been on J3.3.8 by now. There is a huge number of changes in J3.4 with some serious bugfixes among them. Advice to update or wait for J3.4.1

Advice to run Extension manager->Database after you applied an update. It checks a number of things, including the structural changes made by updates. It shouldn't report any issues after an update. And of course checking logs/joomla_update.php for completion notice.

tim92109
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tim92109 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:44 am

@sovainfo haha thanks for accepting my frustration.
It was an update from 3.3.6 to 3.4. There was never an update to 3.3.6. I had just installed it via cPanel>application manager less than a week ago. Maybe an issue with the application manager - somewhere. But I think I would have read about it by now. I did a restore from the application manager (that was my main reason for using it - easy backups). It seems to delete the entire file system and re-write it so I don't think I would have an error log on it now.

I'll take your advice on waiting. And thanks for the other advice. I'll probably take it where possible.

I guess I can just manually update. I have a feeling I'm going to run into the same problem when the next update [probably 3.4.1] comes out. Unless 'fixing the tables' solves the problem, but I believe I was reading in this same thread that fixing the tables will never solve an update error.

I guess another option would be waiting until 3.4.1 comes out, then turning on 'update to major versions and create backup' in the extension manager. See if the application manager can 'fix it's mistake' - if that happens to be where the issue arose from.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:30 am

See http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 7#p3272507

Advice to use traditional way of updating when Joomla! Update fails (Extension manager->Install). Please don't refer to it as manual updating. That is considered to be replacing the files manually and process the database updates manually and inspect the script.php and do everything in there manually.

Strongly suspect the fact your installation didn't know it was on J336 causing the problem. It created a second row in the update_sites for the Joomla! Update component. Causing the next statement to fail. The update of j336 is not to run on an J336 envrionment.

Which means your initial installation was not a proper installation. Suspect Extension manager->Database->Fix as a workaround to be so easy that the bug in the installation process doesn't have priority to be fixed. Report the bug to your provider!
It is these issues that makes me stay away from those services. They are supposed to help you!

tim92109
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tim92109 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:42 pm

When I was talking about manually updating, I was talking about manually updating. Manually uploading the file system, etc etc.

I agree with the comments about the application manager. I really don't trust the application manager. Like I mentioned, the only reason I really use it is that it provides an easy way of creating daily backups.

I forgot this morning that I was going to wait until 3.4.1 and while I was in the application manager retrieving a password for a client, I clicked the update button on the site with issues. Guess I was not fully awake yet haha. Anyway, the good news is that everything went fine. So, if anyone is experiencing the same issue and if it was caused by the application manager like suspected, you can update within the app manager with no issues. I don't know what will happen with the next update as I normally never update from within the app manager. My fingers will be crossed.

markaaa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by markaaa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm having a similar issue. I'm testing updating my site from Joomla 3.3.6 to Joomla 3.4.0 on my local machine and the update is failing. The page returned is blank with only the top navbar with no visible text. The head title tag has this in it:

Error: 1242 Subquery returns more than 1 row SQL=INSERT INTO `mmp_k9kt4_update_sites_extensions` (`update_site_id`, `extension_id`) VALUES
((SELECT `update_site_id` FROM `mmp_k9kt4_update_sites` WHERE `name` = 'Joomla! Update Component Update Site'), (SELECT `extension_id` FROM `mmp_k9kt4_extensions` WHERE `name` = 'com_joomlaupdate'));

After looking at the page source I discovered that there is another error displayed in the navbar which isn't easily visible because of the dark text on dark background:

Fatal error: Class 'Joomla\Utilities\ArrayHelper' not found in /Volumes/Work/sites/activated.org/www/libraries/joomla/utilities/arrayhelper.php on line 139

The "solution" suggest that it is a problem with the site before the update that needs to be fixed. I've re-run the update several times to gather more info. Extension Manager Check Database reports no errors before the upgrade:

Database table structure is up to date.
Database schema version (in #__schemas): 3.3.6.
Update version (in #__extensions): 3.3.6.
Database driver: mysql.
84 database changes were checked successfully.
139 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.

I checked the "update_sites" table and there is one "Joomla! Update Component Update Site" record there:

11 Joomla! Update Component Update Site extension http://update.joomla.org/core/extensions/com_jooml... 1 1425311280

After the update bombs there is indeed a second one there:

15 Joomla! Update Component Update Site extension http://update.joomla.org/core/extensions/com_jooml... 1 0

This is a fairly complex K2 site. It was recently upgraded from 2.5.x to 3.3.x.

If this is indeed a problem with the site pre-update, how do I determine what that problem is since check databases says all is OK?

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 pm

For some reason it is processing updates it is not supposed to. Suggest to use Extension manager->Install from folder:
- Extract the update package into the folder.
- Empty the administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql folder of your current installation.
- Remove all but 3.4.*.sql from the extracted update.
Now, install update.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:16 pm

You do realise that the application manager in cpanel is nothing to do with joomla - cpanel make it - who knows what they do
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

mrartist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mrartist » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 am

Hmm, I just got this error updating to 3.4.2 from an untouched 3.3.6 clean install that I'd neglected to do anything about and had left unchanged online.

Not sure what to make of it or what to do? Scrapping the old install and starting again might be easiest.

Seems odd though and for whatever reasons given above for the problem, the actual issue seems to be something to do with the installers more than anything due to this being a default 3.3.6 Joomla site with nothing changed at all? All I did was click the auto update button on Admin login and I get this failure.

mrartist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mrartist » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 am

Just as a quick follow up. The site seems to be running okay (albeit empty of any content). It says it's v3.4.2 in Admin and I can see no obvious problems but think I should abandon it due to unknown issues.

mrartist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mrartist » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:57 pm

Same error installing the 3.4.3 update a day later.

As I say, to begin with, this was a clean unadulterated 3.3.6 install.

It would be nice to be able to rely on basic update processes done to a default install. Can't find any other info on this error elsewhere but ready to accept it may be some other corruption or server limitation but shouldn't be as it's on a well regarded service also running a fast Magento install.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:58 pm

@ Mrartist you should read all replies and solutions and not only the last one. Also it is better to open your own issue since these kind of old issues are not relly attend to any longer

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

mrartist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mrartist » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:54 pm

@ leolam - I'm confused - I did read all replies and solutions and not just the last one! Did I miss something important?

I realise that if I want a solution then maybe I should open a new issue but as this error doesn't seem to be listed anywhere else I just wanted to add that it still continues in 3.4.x and my main observation is that it happened on a default 3.3.6 install like this post stated.

As I said, it's easiest if I just reinstall Joomla from scratch rather than try and figure out what I need to do to cure the problem, I'm just surprised the error occurred at all.

willkey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willkey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:14 pm

i have about 40 sites running joomla 3.x and this update (3.4.3) is really misbehaving to put it mildly on the few sites i have tried updating. should i wait for 3.4.4 to come out?

intouch01
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by intouch01 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:40 am

hey man i am having the same problem.i have more than 20 sites on joomla 3.x.Can anybody help us please reply guys.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”