K2 migration to core joomla

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
cliffCargo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

K2 migration to core joomla

Post by cliffCargo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 am

hi

i run joomla 3.5.1 with K2. I would like to stop using K2. how can i migrate from K2 back to core joomla?

any help will be appreciated

thanks

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: K2 migration to core joomla

Post by itoctopus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:43 pm

There are some extensions/tools to do that (a small search on Google will reveal them). K2 does not have an official tool that does that.

K2 is a pretty stable and well maintained sub-CMS, so I'm wondering why would want to do that. Are you having any performance issues because of it? Stability issues?

In any case, please note that you may run into many 404s (depending on the number of articles in your K2) unless you prepare the proper redirection rules before migrating the content from K2 to Joomla.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

cliffCargo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cliffCargo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:30 pm

hi
thanks for the reply. i have seen a few extensions to migrate from K2 to core joomla but would like to know more about it. i see there is also an option to do it via phpMyAdmin. i am worried about 404's as you pointed out. i also see that some of the extensions are quite expensive and of course i don't think the end result is guaranteed.

the reason i want to do it is because i have had "issues" with one or two extensions where for example they look for the joomla core article url but not the k2 article url (a simplistic example). i also want to move away from using too many extensions and want to stick primarily with the core joomla as i think it is far safer all round not to mention when you rely on an extension and it is no longer maintained!

any further advice on migrating from K2 to core joomla would be appreciated

thanks for the advice

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:38 am

I can't find much on exporting from K2 and importing to the Joomla core article manager, but did find this.

https://geekflare.com/export-k2-items-t ... -articles/

You need to use PHPMyAdmin and execute a couple of SQL queries in order to do this.

Most of the import/export tools concerning K2 are to import into K2 not the reverse. This article was written Feb 2015, so should be fairly current.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”