Update from 3.9. to 3.10 fails Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jonkka
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Update from 3.9. to 3.10 fails

Post by jonkka » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 pm

For a long time, my Joomla installation did not notify me about updates so I've been running old 3.9.28 version for a long time. Recently, it notified me that PHP version is old so I went to switch it up to version 8.1. After doing that, parts of the site like text editor stopped working so I switched to old PHP version and started digging.

I found out that due to some error, Default update channel had not notified me about 3.10 nor 4.x versions so I am now quite behind the curve. I duly took backup of the site and prepared to upgrade to 3.10 in order to then upgrade to 4. But install fails quite early, complaining about no write rights. I've ran install many times with same result, hopefully that hasn't broken anything. Each time it complains about different file and I've always noticed that file and folder permissions are OK. The only file that wasn't configuration.php was but adjusting that hasn't changed anything, I am still getting those errors.

I also tried installing a fresh 3.10 into another subdomain and restore backup there but it also fails with read.me -rights (that really got me dumbfounded).

Having tried various things I lastly noticed some errors on Extensions: Database -tab and clicked the Fix-button. After that, I no longer can access Update-section and therefore I can't reinstall core files that way.

Any tips would be really appreciated?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Update from 3.9. to 3.10 fails

Post by toivo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:48 pm

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

jonkka wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 pm
I found out that due to some error, Default update channel had not notified me about 3.10 nor 4.x versions
When Joomla checks an update site and for one reason or another is unable to connect to the update site, that particular update site is disabled and not checked again until the update site has been enabled manually. Go to Extensions - Manage - Update Sites.

Check the update status and error messages from logs/joomla_update.php. Did you restore the old version into an empty folder and a new database schema after the update had failed? That is the only way to keep the system consistent, to avoid a situation where the filesystem is a mixture of old and new files.

Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration can be reviewed.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

jonkka
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jonkka » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 pm

I restored site from backup file and that version got successfully though the update to 3.10. As I did another restore (from same backup file and following same procedure) to have a staging site, that restore didn't work out as when I tried to enable update sites, UI complained that database didn't have update_id field.

Anyways, I then managed to update to 4.x and now my worries are all related to the new UI, missing menu structure and such post-update headaches.

Many thanks for your help.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Cheers! Feel free to create separate topics of the issues emerging after the update.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”