Lost the site Main Menu - how to recreate?

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ernienet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Lost the site Main Menu - how to recreate?

Post by ernienet » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:12 am

Joomla 3.2...

I used RedMigrator to move Users and Articles to a fresh new site. I excluded a lot of the other items (including menus and menu types) from the migration.

RedMigrator apparently removed the existing main menu in the process!

How can I recreate the main menu and Home menu item? I'm getting:

Warning

Save failed with the following error: Another menu item has the same alias in Root. Root is the top level parent

... but I can't find this menu item! RedMigrator appears to have removed the "mainmenu" that was part of the original install.

I re-created the "mainmenu" and examined the menu_types table to see that "mainmenu" was originally id = 0. So I went in to the menu table, and edited the bable so the the id was "0" (it was "3" because I was fiddling around earlier).

This seems to have fixed it and associated the three menu items I had created prior to the migration, but I don't want to miss anything and end up with a crippled web site.

If there's any place else the id needs to be replaced, please let me know.

Also, for future reference - how do I create a new main menu with the "home" link?

Thank you,

Ernie

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”