Simple question re upgrading

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Simple question re upgrading

Post by naturalp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi - I thought I'd followed the instructions but after two blank white screens and subsequent system restores I am now 'taking it easy'!

Question in the preparation part of the instructions it says
Step 3: Update all extensions compatibility with Joomla 3.x!
This is a simple step! You just download and update all your extensions (not Joomla yet!) you have found to be compatible with Joomla 3.0 except your template (!) Only upgrade extensions that show compatibility with Joomla 1.5/2.5/3/x or 2.5/3.x!

If I have plugins/modules installed that are for 2.5 and the another version of same plugin is available for joomla 3 do I simply install the version 3 plugin or wait till after the upgrade.. sorry but its the compatibility sentence above that I can't understand... .. Much appreciated...

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Simple question re upgrading

Post by SharkyKZ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 pm

I think it would be best to disable these type of extensions before upgrading. Then upgrade to Joomla 3.x, update to 3.x extensions and enable them.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:39 pm

It is referring to the information provided on Joomla Extension Directory (JED). Extensions published there mention the version of Joomla that is supported. When migrating to J3 the extensions that mention J3 can be updated.

Don't forget to investigate what needs to be done for updating an extension. Their documentation should tell you what to do in case you are also updating Joomla.
Some extensions have one and the same distribution for both J2.5 and J3. That doesn't mean that version installed on J2.5 will adapt when Joomla is updated. Nonumber extensions are an example of this. They require installation in J3.

For extensions with different distributions it depends. The extension needs to have documented what to do.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Thank you Sharky - your answer is just what i needed.. I must then copy all the settings I assume before updating them.. Not so easy.. but thanks again. i am sure I will be back

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 am

Ok so after about 4 restores and a couple of days I have now got this 'off pat' but still have not managed a full upgrade. The nearest I got was just now when it got to 100% and gave me this error
Notice: Undefined property: UsersControllerUser::$input in /home/sharp12/public_html/components/com_users/controllers/user.php on line 55

Fatal error: Call to a member function getBool() on a non-object in /home/sharp12/public_html/components/com_users/controller

and then when I went to the frontpage I got the blank white page so I copied over the configuration.php to show errors and took a snap of the error attached... it doesn't seem to be serious but Any ideas please as to how I can complete my upgrade ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

here is the joomla_upgrade log file...

Post by naturalp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:45 pm

This is what was in the joomla update log..

#
#<?php die('Forbidden.'); ?>
#Date: 2014-12-20 15:35:21 UTC
#Software: Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable [ Curiosity ] 24-Apr-2013 00:00 GMT

#Fields: datetime priority clientip category message
2014-12-20T15:35:21+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Finalising installation.
2014-12-20T15:35:21+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__users` DROP KEY `usertype`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:21+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__session` DROP KEY `whosonline`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:21+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `#__update_categories`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:21+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__contact_details` DROP `imagepos`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:22+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__content` DROP COLUMN `title_alias`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:22+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__content` DROP COLUMN `sectionid`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:22+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__content` DROP COLUMN `mask`;.
2014-12-20T15:35:22+00:00 INFO 2.14.159.238 update Ran query from file 3.0.0. Query text: ALTER TABLE `#__content` DROP COLUMN `parentid`;.

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

another question

Post by naturalp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:55 pm

umm.. I have looked and the table 'newsfeeds' does not exist in my current joomla sql.. but it seems to be in the previous version presumably 1.6 or something as the old table is still sitting there .. so perhaps when I moved from joomla 1 to 2 it got lost? Can I just create a table? I have looked in the component directory and newsfeeds is there .. .. ,,,,mmm any help please?

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Just did a 'discover' and it found newsfeeds component but when I clicked on install I got

JInstaller: :Install: SQL File not found /home/sharp12/public_html/administrator/components/com_newsfeeds/sql/install.mysql.utf8.sql
Component Install: SQL error file DB function reports no errors
and I have attached the database error report ooops... this error report is from my current 2.5.28 version of Joomla. It also says "The PHP temporary directory is the directory that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla! can access this file. Whilst the directory not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue." but what do I put in it and where???? help please anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Looks like your migration to J2.5 failed. Suggest to return to your J2.5 environment and verify with Extentions manager->Discover and Database (in that order) what is missing.
Repair that.

Then, make sure you set max_execution_time, disabled "Remember me", removed old updates from administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql.
Try update to J3 and verify logs/joomla_update.php.

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Thank you. I have been on 2.5 for a year now and didn't notice anything wrong when we migrated.. I will follow your instructions. .I think I have to add something to the .htaccess as I don't have access to php.ini and then disable the plugin Remember me.. but am confused about the "remove old updates from administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql " I have seen this mentioned before in other replies but never understood. I have uploaded an image of this directory - Do I just delete the updates in this directory?

I will start on this tomorrow once I am clear as to what have to do. Thanks again.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes, they can be removed. Once updated to J2.5.x any file before the version you are using can be removed. They don't serve any purpose anymore.

You may verify with Extension manager->Database. When everything is ok, you can remove them.

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 am

Can I just ask please sovainfo? - When I add the lines
"php_value max_execution_time 300
php_value memory_limit 128M
php_value upload_max_filesize 12M"
to my .htaccess file I get an internal server error.. is this meant to happen?

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:02 am

Not all environments allow all PHP settings to be changed from .htaccess.
Try adding them one at the time or ask your provider to change them or tell you how to change them. Only they know, they configured the webserver!

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:32 am

Thank you sovainfo.. I will ask now.. they are good normally..

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi Sovainfo, it failed again .. exactly the same in every way so I've restored it back.. still have the new .htaccess.. have you any suggestions please ?

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Did you fix newsfeeds?

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Don't know how to fix it.. so no - its showing in my discover list and if I install it it just disappears from there and if you see my post way up above this is what happens.. I've copied it below....
""Just did a 'discover' and it found newsfeeds component but when I clicked on install I got

JInstaller: :Install: SQL File not found /home/sharp12/public_html/administrator/components/com_newsfeeds/sql/install.mysql.utf8.sql
Component Install: SQL error file DB function reports no errors
and I have attached the database error report ooops... this error report is from my current 2.5.28 version of Joomla. It also says "The PHP temporary directory is the directory that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla! can access this file. Whilst the directory not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue." but what do I put in it and where???? help please anyone?""
Last edited by naturalp on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Ok, it should't be in your discover list. Installing it should remove it from the list. Does it work? If it does, there must be a table for it in the database. Does it contain a column `filename`? If it does, the update shouldn't complain about trying to remove it
So, it should make a difference!

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Sovainfo,,,,for some reason my reply to your suggestion above has appeared above your suggestion.. I don't know how.. ?

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Installation mentions it can't find that file, suggest you get if from the distribution.

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Ok of course! Thank you sovainfo - will try tomorrow to copy it on and see what happens.. Much appreciated and I will keep you informed

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:32 am

Ok so I decided to reinstall the whole joomla 2.5.28 and it installed with a few errors.. but then I was able to install the newsfeeds component and I ran the upgrade and it didn't fail on newsfeeds but on banners... here

1146 - An error has occurred.

Table 'sharp12_madrina.j25_banners' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `j25_banners` ENGINE=I

So I wil owrk my way through the error list I got when I re-installed the full joomla and maybe I can correct it (I've attached a text file with the errors and the first one relates to banners! .. ) Why am I getting so excited by different errors ????

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi - I've given up.. I have tried again and again to get my 2.5 to just run without errors in the banner and newsfeeds databases so I can upgrade to joomla 3. I restore back to 19th Dec. load a new copy of joomla 2.5.28 over the top of my existing one.. and sometimes I see the component newsfeeds in the component menu , sometimes not.. I never see banners.. If I go to discover they are sometimes there and if I install I get errors and then the disappear from discover and show in the manage section but not in the menu... then I run the database to check for errors and yes there are always newsfeeds and banner errors. If I try to upgrade it sticks on newsfeeds or banners..

I am seriously considering hand copying each item over to a new copy of Joomla 2.5 and then upgrading.. I don't want to copy to joomla 3 by hand as I am sure to do something wrong if I fall asleep. "help me obi wan kenobi " Please

Last errors...
1146 - An error has occurred.

Table 'sharp12_madrina.j25_banners' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `j25_banners` ENGINE=InnoDB;

JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL DB function failed with error number 1050
Table 'j25_banners' already exists SQL=CREATE TABLE `j25_banners` ( `id` INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment, `cid` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `type` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `name` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `alias` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `imptotal` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `impmade` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `clicks` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `clickurl` VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `state` TINYINT(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `description` TEXT NOT NULL, `custombannercode` VARCHAR(2048) NOT NULL, `sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `metakey` TEXT NOT NULL, `params` TEXT NOT NULL, `own_prefix` TINYINT(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `metakey_prefix` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `purchase_type` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1', `track_clicks` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1', `track_impressions` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1', `checked_out` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `checked_out_time` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_up` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_down` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `reset` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `created` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `language` char(7) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), INDEX `idx_state` (`state`), INDEX `idx_own_prefix` (`own_prefix`), INDEX `idx_metakey_prefix` (`metakey_prefix`), INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`), INDEX `idx_language` (`language`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
SQL =

CREATE TABLE `#__banners` (
`id` INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment,
`cid` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`type` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`name` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`alias` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`imptotal` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`impmade` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`clicks` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`clickurl` VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`state` TINYINT(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
`description` TEXT NOT NULL,
`custombannercode` VARCHAR(2048) NOT NULL,
`sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
`ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
`metakey` TEXT NOT NULL,
`params` TEXT NOT NULL,
`own_prefix` TINYINT(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`metakey_prefix` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`purchase_type` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1',
`track_clicks` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1',
`track_impressions` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1',
`checked_out` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`checked_out_time` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`publish_up` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`publish_down` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`reset` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`created` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`language` char(7) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
INDEX `idx_state` (`state`),
INDEX `idx_own_prefix` (`own_prefix`),
INDEX `idx_metakey_prefix` (`metakey_prefix`),
INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`),
INDEX `idx_language` (`language`)
) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

Component Install: SQL error file DB function failed with error number 1050
Table 'j25_banners' already exists SQL=CREATE TABLE `j25_banners` ( `id` INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment, `cid` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `type` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `name` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `alias` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `imptotal` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `impmade` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `clicks` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `clickurl` VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `state` TINYINT(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `description` TEXT NOT NULL, `custombannercode` VARCHAR(2048) NOT NULL, `sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `metakey` TEXT NOT NULL, `params` TEXT NOT NULL, `own_prefix` TINYINT(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `metakey_prefix` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `purchase_type` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1', `track_clicks` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1', `track_impressions` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1', `checked_out` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `checked_out_time` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_up` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_down` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `reset` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `created` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `language` char(7) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), INDEX `idx_state` (`state`), INDEX `idx_own_prefix` (`own_prefix`), INDEX `idx_metakey_prefix` (`metakey_prefix`), INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`), INDEX `idx_language` (`language`) ) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
SQL =

CREATE TABLE `#__banners` (
`id` INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment,
`cid` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`type` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`name` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`alias` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`imptotal` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`impmade` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`clicks` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`clickurl` VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`state` TINYINT(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
`description` TEXT NOT NULL,
`custombannercode` VARCHAR(2048) NOT NULL,
`sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
`ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
`metakey` TEXT NOT NULL,
`params` TEXT NOT NULL,
`own_prefix` TINYINT(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`metakey_prefix` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`purchase_type` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1',
`track_clicks` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1',
`track_impressions` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT '-1',
`checked_out` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`checked_out_time` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`publish_up` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`publish_down` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`reset` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`created` DATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`language` char(7) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
INDEX `idx_state` (`state`),
INDEX `idx_own_prefix` (`own_prefix`),
INDEX `idx_metakey_prefix` (`metakey_prefix`),
INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`),
INDEX `idx_language` (`language`)
) DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Please be more specific in your communication. Abstract conclusions are fine for understanding, but specifics are needed to figure out what happened. Where it went wrong and how to proceed can only be determined with relevant details.

The details of creating the table are not relevant. Specify when you get these errors is!

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturalp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Well I gave up.. which is why I'm not so precise.. but all is not lost as I actually paid for a component called sp transfer and I think it will solve my problems. It lets me transfer what I want from any version of Joomla 2.* to 3.* - I'm trying it on a test site version 3.3.6 but think it will solve my problems as I can exclude the newsfeeds and banners tables..

I thank you for all your help and patience and will let you know how I get on as for the price it might be worth it rather than spending hours restoring data...

naturalp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla 2.5 to 3 migration finished!!

Post by naturalp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:06 pm

So the utility called sp transfer (although it cost a few euros) solved my problems. I was able to transfer the site table by table , content by content, module by module, removing any wonky records. It now works. A few things need to be ironed out but its great. thank you everyone.. 1 will be posting now to sort some layout probs out!http://www.falabellacheval.com

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”