Save / Save & Close Buttons don't work in Joomla 3.4

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
luizwbr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Save / Save & Close Buttons don't work in Joomla 3.4

Post by luizwbr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi #joomlers and #joomleiros.

For me, I just updated the behavior.php in /libraries/cms/html/, adding a code in line 183:

Code: Select all

JHtml::_('behavior.framework', true);
This change will make Mootools load before validation.js file.

Tested in different browsers, It's work now.

thewedge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thewedge » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm

I can confirm this fix solved my site. All buttons work now and my list view in Modules has been fixed and show properly. Thanks luizwbr. Unfortunately one of my other sites I had to rebuild it as I couldn't wait anymore.

My only concern is when Joomla makes an update and this page gets replaced, now I have to remember I had to do this. This is something that Joomla coders should have had in here, and Michael and Phil should have admitted they forgot to put that in and how to fix it. Just shocks me that they accused extension developers rather than just fixing the issue. I don't think 3.4 was really thought out and was released before it's time.

I am definitely going to think twice before I update another Joomla site.

privateerm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by privateerm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:30 am

Ok, it has been more than 24 hours but I found the problem.
It's significant, and it's not a problem with 3.4.1 directly.... sort of....

If your host uses google's "PageSpeed Module" Joomla 3.4.1 sometimes breaks. If you are with dreamhost you can disable pagespeed
(http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Page_Speed_Optimization)
with a click of a check box. After you make the change you need to wait for dreamhost to disable it, and in my case I had to wait five minutes longer for some reason....

It might also be possible to use pagespeed(if you can't disable it with your host) and block it on the specific javascript causing the issue using these instructions from google:
https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... cting_urls

The joomla devs could simply include the blocked javascript files in the .htaccess file in the next release.

It appears that pagespeed does some funky things to the joomla code
(rewritting it etc.)

Check it out:
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module

:pop :pop :pop

EDIT:
I added the word "sometimes", ie. not in all cases!
Last edited by privateerm on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 am

privateerm wrote:If your host uses google's "PageSpeed Module" Joomla 3.4.1 breaks.
This is incorrect. We and many other hosts use this on the servers and without any problems. Joomla's official hosting partner for the demo sites and for SAAS is Siteground and they also utilize it. https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/su ... pagespeed/

If you have not configured PageSpeed properly your site will indeed break but that counts for many modules or settings. So wrong alarm

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

privateerm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by privateerm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:57 am

leolam wrote:This is incorrect. We and many other hosts use this on the servers and without any problems. Joomla's official hosting partner for the demo sites and for SAAS is Siteground and they also utilize it. https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/su ... pagespeed/

If you have not configured PageSpeed properly your site will indeed break but that counts for many modules or settings. So wrong alarm

Leo 8)
Wow, that was a quick brush off!

PageSpeed DID break a fresh Joomla 3.4.1 install on Dreamhost's shared hosting package. This solution will work for the people who read this with a similar problem.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 am

That is not a brush of but simple fact. This has nothing to do with Joomla. JCH-plugin (see extensions directory) utilizes exact the Google method (we use it on all our own sites) and you can blow your site out of the air with the settings in a very easy way especially with all the Javascript options such as combining scripts, inline scripts etc etc. So again this is not a Joomla thing at all

Leo 8)

privateerm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by privateerm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:18 pm

I agree, it is not a purely a "Joomla Problem."

BUT in my world, like many of those reading this forum, we often use Joomla, purchase a template and a couple of components, and put a website out there using economy hosting which, with their basic packages, gives us little real world control over the finer details. IF the website is successful, then we bump up to premium hosting with VPS or something where we have more control.

If it is only a small number of us with this issue, then we need places like this forum to come to to find answers on how to work around the problem.

If it is thousands of people, then it is the joomla dev's. problem, and they need to build in a workaround. My fear is that this is a more global problem because the PageSpeed module is being pushed by google, and all major economy grade web hosting providers are using it(I would guess because it offloads a huge portions of their bandwidth obligations of big brother aka google).

leolam, where else would you like us joomla nuts to put our 'solutions'? A different forum? Start our own? We don't hate Joomla, we love it!

privateerm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by privateerm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:27 pm

BTW, I just checked my email, and Dreamhost has said:

"The Joomla! OCI has been returned to the panel"

This followed my email to them informing them of the difficulty, and solution.

EDIT:
OCI = "One Click Installer"

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:39 pm

privateerm wrote:I agree, it is not a purely a "Joomla Problem."
as stated it has nothing to do with Joomla but with the settings of the Google stuff on the server.

And again you and I are both "Joomla" the "they" does not exists. No Joomla exists without all the volunteers. We are all volunteers (besides having a business re. Joomla in my case) I post here to help people, I write manuals so people can learn. I am a volunteer in the Joomla Bug Squad and test (often with my GWS-Team) the Issues we face on the Issue Tracker for pull requests have been posted.

I have never indicated or gave the impression you hate Joomla... I can see from your posts you love it seemingly which is good and I see no reason for those sentences addressed to me. I answered you plain and clear and that's it. So kindly stop with the ideas you are posting about my perception since you are wrong with that.

Leo 8)

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 pm

My understanding of the point @leolam is making is that Joomla requires a proper working infrastructure. A badly configured infrastructure hurts any website, whether it uses Joomla or not.

Indeed this forum is the right place for sharing this information, thank you for doing that. Nobody is saying this doesn't belong here!

When more an more people are experiencing badly configured infra the community will provide solutions. Whether that is documentation on properly configuring your infra or changes to the product depends on the issue. In the past they have done that by introducing the FTP Layer. Documenting proper webserver configuration appeared not to be sufficient. Whether the situation with PageSpeed is at the same level remains to be seen. Personally I hope documenting will be enough. Maybe OCI providers consider it something to address. Maybe PageSpeed will improve and figure out not to break a site no matter the configuration!
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

bossies
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bossies » Sat May 02, 2015 6:46 am

the solution from #luizwbr worked for me THANKS - i am on 3.4.1

For me, I just updated the behavior.php in /libraries/cms/html/, adding a code in line 183:

Code:
Malmesbury - South Africa
http://www.voiceconnect.co.za Voiceconnect
http://www.atmalmesbury.co.za

joshuatan17
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joshuatan17 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:40 am

Hi there,

I'm doing an upgrade from 2.5 to 3.4.1

Found out it was due to an old Google Analytics plugin. Updated that and the buttons work again.

itips102
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by itips102 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 pm

A few days ago, I upgraded a Joomla v2.5.28 website to Jv3.4.1.

The upgrade to Joomla v3.4.1 appears to have been successful. The upgrade log showed success.

However, while in the administrator control panel, for the first time ever, I encountered the problem of Save & Close buttons not working. "Cancel" worked fine.

The site being upgraded was hosted with SiteGround.com.

After following this thread with some interest, trying the various things suggested, clearing all caches, etc., testing with 4 different current latest web browsers, the only remedy in my instance was the suggestion from: luizwbr on: Wed Apr 15, 2015 - so thank you luizwbr :)

However, since then, I've also encountered another weird problem: not possible to change the order of main menu items by dragging. I'm still working on that, so may search and post once I've carried out some more tests.

Nevertheless, the point I want to suggest is that, in my instance, for both of the problems above, as a quick temporary fix, I changed the admin template from "Isis" to "Hathor". I know "Hathor" is not especially scenic, but it allowed for Save, Close, and dragging of menu items (and maybe everything else normally available too).

So, if you're up against a deadline, and have a similar problem, try changing the admin template to Hathor, do what you need to do, then change it back again, to Isis.

In my instance, since I'm using SiteGround.com hosting, with PHP 5.5.xx, and Isis, there may be some weird glitch that triggers this behaviour.

To fix my problem, I could first try uploading a completely new set of Isis admin files from a known good Jv3.4.1 source. Though I know I may need to reinstate luizwbr's solution again (easy to do).

---

Update:

However, I still had a problem: when viewing the administrator pages using Isis template, the "Search tools" wouldn't work, main menu items couldn't be dragged, rearranged, and other related problems too.

On closer investigation: there were still two Javascript errors (as shown in Safari browser Console):

ReferenceError: Class is not defined1 multiselect.js:12:1
and ...

TypeError: Joomla.JMultiSelect is not a function1 index.php:114:4
To cut a long story short, in my instance, the full remedy for both problems was indeed a cache issue, as kindly suggested earlier in this thread in several places, but not the normal browser cache area.

How: as previously mentioned, for this website, I was using web hosting from SiteGround.com, and the nice folks there provide free "CloudFlare" Content Delivery Network, which of course helps speed up the site.

So when I turned on "Development Mode", both and checked the Joomla Admin Isis page again, no problems. After a little further testing, I needed to flush the CloudFlare cache - that's what really fixed everything in my instance.

Therefore, for me, this is not one to forget: that caches of course exist in more places than just the browser today.

So, if you're still struggling with this issue, and use a web host that uses a CDN, perhaps clear that cache too, and you might just fix your problem as well.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes help in these forums, especially the Joomla volunteers.

afalero
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by afalero » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:43 pm

leolam wrote:You need to clear your browser cache, shut down browser and reload. We are not aware of any "save" errors and I have no problems saving anything on our own sites after the upgrade

Leo 8)
Thanks a lot. I've applied Ccleaner and problem solved.
Thanks again Master! :)

tedx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tedx » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:42 am

Just curious for those who've lost the save buttons. How many are using MacOS vs. Windows? I tried lots of different things to solve this problem on my Mac to no avail (some things worked temporarily like switching the admin template). But the problem eventually returned. I installed fresh versions etc. Then, I tried it at work (on a Windows machine with IE) and didn't have one problem out of the buttons. Got back home, pulled out the ol' macbook pro (safari, chrome, firefox) and not able to save again. Looks like i'm gonna need parallels now.

artshotwell
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by artshotwell » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 pm

I've just read this thread because I have run into the problem with every site I have moved form 2.5.28 to 3.4.3. And, in every case, it seemed to solved itself and I could never tell just how it happened. btw, I'm on a Mac. Sites are all hosted at Arvixe. Which has CloudFlare. Anyway, the latest site of mine seemed to get fixed when i switched from Safari to Chrome. I'm assuming caching is an issue. I could open the site in Chrome, make and save config changes. Log off. Open in Safari and I could not make changes.

But, I have one site with caching turned on in the site as sell as CloudFlare and I never seem to have an issue using Safari.

Puzzled...

tedx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tedx » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:31 am

Just an update in case any of this is related to os/browser/cache. I still can't use the buttons on my mac (neither chrome, safari, nor firefox). I ran Ubuntu off disk image (from the mac using virtual box), no dice. I installed Ubuntu fresh and tried it, no dice. I then installed a windows 7/IE 11 image in virtual box, no dice. Next, I tried it on a dell venue running Win 8.1/IE 11, nope. For kicks, i pulled a Mac powerbook fresh out of the box, had never been to any website ever, still won't work. Oh, I also tried it on Windows XP/IE8 and it didn't work. I'm now curious as to whether it will still work from my work computer (win7/IE10), but I won't know that until tomorrow. I don't think caching is my problem as I have tried it on so many platforms that have never been to the site before.
In the very beginning, i made it work briefly by switching admin templates, but that doesn't work anymore.

Oh, forgot. The buttons also don't work on an iPhone.

oumouy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oumouy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:46 pm

luizwbr wrote:Hi #joomlers and #joomleiros.

This change will make Mootools load before validation.js file.

Tested in different browsers, It's work now.
Thanks. You are the man :D

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:26 pm

That is no solution since wit the next Joomla update that is gone again

Leo 8)

Pymesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pymesign » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:09 am

SOLVED, I had the issue on Joomla 3.4.3; just replace media/system/js/core.js with the same file from 3.4.1 package.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:55 am

Pymesign wrote:SOLVED, I had the issue on Joomla 3.4.3; just replace media/system/js/core.js with the same file from 3.4.1 package.
That is no solution. With the next Joomla update that is gone again. You need to find the cause of the issue. Falling back on older versions of javascript will create other issues in other area's. We do not upgrade javascript files for fun....we do that with reasons. What you have done is bad practice. I strongly advise to reload the 3.4.3 version and find the reason for this. Nobody should follow your 'solution'

Leo 8)

Pymesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pymesign » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14 pm

I agree. This was a "fast" solution. But It seems the problem may be located at that core.js file, so we have a first step to find out the real solution, isn't it?

mat_nova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mat_nova » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:14 pm

I was looking for some newsletter plugin, i chose jnews, downloaded ..and lol..this fu# save button doesnt works at all (chrome, firefox, IE ) It's useless and no solution even here. :/ I have to look for another newsletter.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:24 am

Pymesign wrote:I agree. This was a "fast" solution. But It seems the problem may be located at that core.js file, so we have a first step to find out the real solution, isn't it?
Well for sure it is not reported as a bug in the core-code (I have never seen one as Member of the Joomla Bug Squad) and this issue in general is solved by caching as mentioned.

@ All here who hack core, roll back files and mix up versions: You will make your Joomla system unstable and such behavior is not advised!

Leo 8)

Fleder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Fleder » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:04 am

leolam wrote:You need to clear your browser cache, shut down browser and reload. We are not aware of any "save" errors and I have no problems saving anything on our own sites after the upgrade

Leo 8)
Did an update from 3.2.0 to 3.4.4 and had the same problem.
It never came into my mind to clear the browsers cache, although this is an obvious solution.

thank you kindly leolam!

stoodlee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stoodlee » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:29 am

the solution from #luizwbr fixed the same problem with Joomla 3.4.3 running on a linux host with PHP 5.3.28

manouch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by manouch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:08 pm

hello,

i had the same problem after 2.5 to 3.4 upgrade and i resolved it by.... upgrading the language file i was using
i had a 2.5 french version language in admin installed wich was causing a bug due to '
hope it can help some of you...

Chuck3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Chuck3 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Just here to confirm that the solution from "luizwbr" (http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 2#p3292282) worked for me! Currently on 3.4.4

pao1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pao1 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 am

manouch wrote:hello,

i had the same problem after 2.5 to 3.4 upgrade and i resolved it by.... upgrading the language file i was using
i had a 2.5 french version language in admin installed wich was causing a bug due to '
hope it can help some of you...
I had the same error, switching to english language fixed the problem before checking french translation updates (french works now!)

pelojua
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pelojua » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:17 am

Hello, after trying too many posibles solutions exposed in this thread, we solved the problem modifying php.ini file like juka said in his/her entry of Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm. We set max_input_var variable to 2500 in /etc/php.ini server file and buttons start to work again.

Regards

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”