Upgrade from 2.5 - 3.0 has messed a website up

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wadesigns
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Upgrade from 2.5 - 3.0 has messed a website up

Post by wadesigns » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 am

Hi there, after following the upgrade procedure to a T and then login in to the backend of the clients website, I can't do an upgrade to 3.5.1, the site tells me fatal error with isis template.

Can someone advise, help me, may be login and tell me what the issue is please as our client is not very happy.

Big thanks in advance for anyone that can help me

KR

Debs :eek:

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Upgrade from 2.5 - 3.0 has messed a website up

Post by Webdongle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 am

wadesigns wrote:...
Can someone advise, help me, may be login and tell me what the issue is please as our client is not very happy....
You performed the migration on a live site ???

Use your backup (the one you made when you followed "the upgrade procedure to a T") to restore the original site.

Make a copy of the site on localhost (or your development server) and try the migration there.

The cause of your problem is most likely the result of an incompatible 3rd party extension/template. Third party extensions that are compatible with Joomla 2.5 and 3.5 often use different files depending on which version of Joomla they are installed in. If that is the case then google
migrate joomla 2.5.8 alternative methods

If you didn't create a backup then make a backup now in case attempts to rectify the site breaks it more.

You could try using the files from the Joomla full package to overwrite the files on the server ... but that might not fix it.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”