Languages - google.pt google.es google.co.uk

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
joaojoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Languages - google.pt google.es google.co.uk

Post by joaojoomla » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:29 am

Hi,

I have a multilanguage site in Portuguese (pt-PT), English (en-GB) and Spanish (es-ES). Portuguese is the default language (all).

When I search for "DATAE" or "DATA E" (name of the company) in google.co.uk or in google.es the result that I get is always data.pt (portuguese) with the rich-snippet written in portuguese.

1 - I have all the languages correspondencies made in menus, categories and articles;
2 - On the plug in System Manager - Filter I have srt to "YES" "add alterante meta tags;
3 - On the plug in manager System Language - Code I have all the languages codes inserted.

What seems to be the problem and how can I resolve it?

Thanks

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Languages - google.pt google.es google.co.uk

Post by waarnemer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 am

get a .com and .es domain too..

have language to domain installed https://www.yireo.com/software/joomla-e ... ge-domains

set the correct languages to the domains

Now to check things going right get your site on Google Analytics use a module instead of plugin to set this for each domain (language property is not in plugins)

Now it is upto the company and sites content to attract Google attention.. or better: vistors attention...

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:44 am

You do NOT need to enable the system language code plugin if you do not change the default language tag for one of your installed language (for example using the French pack fr-FR, needing to display the Swiss variant fr-CH instead).
But this is unrelated to your apparent issue.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

joaojoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joaojoomla » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, I think the solution has to be cheaper and easier than buying domains.

Actually, having a multilanguage site envolves having subdirectories (es and en) and Google is prepared to analyse and crawl like this and not only sites with domains .es or .co.uk.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Of course you don't need to buy extra domains, but when you take in account that google bot indexes sequence is starting at your landing page.. which is Portuguese.
Than it will crawl your sites inner links. Your menu navigation coming first, then after a while your language selector..

Your domain being on .pt says to Google Portuguese is the most important. As the bot starts at your Portuguese navigation, that one shows in Google too.

Also "data" being a very common word.. letter "e" well need I say more.

What you can try is add three different sitemaps to webmaster tools.

Anyway in order to have google.co.uk and google.es show the english and spanish versions and show these properly you may to invest in your co.uk en .es domains... at EUR 12,- and EUR 14,- a year per domain I don't think that should be too much of a burden.. it will increase relevance in the english and spanish language.
Remember.. a person living in the UK just does have co.uk in the fingertips.. not .pt

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”