Language Override does not work anymore

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
karl25
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Language Override does not work anymore

Post by karl25 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Hello there,

I need some help about language Override.

I set language strings in overrides directory that worked well, but today, i denote that constants are not replaced anymore, it seems that bug happened.

I uninstalled following joomla core extensions from extension manager recently : weblinks, contact and newfeeds.

So, i've two questions :

- Have you any idea of what caused this bug for language Override ?
- If it's because of uninstalling core extensions, how can i restore them ?

My site is running on joomla 3.3

Help please.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Language Override does not work anymore

Post by imanickam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 am

(a) Hope you have chosen the appropriate language and location for the override strings.

(b) What language string, you have overridden?

(c) Is the overriding done manually or using the Overrides tab in the Language Manager?

(d) Please attach an image or two, or a reference to the site (along with URL) where the language override is not working.

(e) It is generally not recommended to uninstall the core extensions. To reinstall the uninstalled core extensions, suggest reviewing the document http://docs.joomla.org/J2.5:Reinstallin ... extensions.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

karl25
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl25 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:33 am

Hello imanickam,

First thank you to respond.
(a) Hope you have chosen the appropriate language and location for the override strings.
Yes, i checked out again.

(b) What language string, you have overridden?
Here are some of them :
COM_EASYSOCIAL_TOOLBAR_SEARCH="Find friends or groups"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_DES C="Please specify your occupational category"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_FAR MER="Farmer"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_ART ISAN="Artisan, Shopkeeper, Entrepreneur"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_PRO FESSION="Profession"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_PRO FESSOR="Professor, scientific profession"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_SEN IOR="Senior, Engineer"

(c) Is the overriding done manually or using the Overrides tab in the Language Manager?
I did it manually by copying strings in Cpanel, because there are more than 300 strings to enter there. Should i do it via language Manager ?

(d) Please attach an image or two, or a reference to the site (along with URL) where the language override is not working.
Please see attachment.

(e) It is generally not recommended to uninstall the core extensions. To reinstall the uninstalled core extensions, suggest reviewing the document http://docs.joomla.org/J2.5:Reinstallin ... extensions.
Does it work for joomla 3.3 also?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:14 am

karl25 wrote:Here are some of them :
COM_EASYSOCIAL_TOOLBAR_SEARCH="Find friends or groups"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_DES C="Please specify your occupational category"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_FAR MER="Farmer"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_ART ISAN="Artisan, Shopkeeper, Entrepreneur"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_PRO FESSION="Profession"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_PRO FESSOR="Professor, scientific profession"
COM_EASYSOCIAL_FIELDS_PROFILE_DEFAULT_CATEGORY_SEN IOR="Senior, Engineer"
If these are the real language strings then there could be an issue. Because there is a space in the constant portion of the language string.

Doing override using the Language Manager is easy and kind of fool proof. You need not worry about the syntax. There is nothing wrong in doing the language overrides manually.

For manually installing the core extensions that were uninstalled, the procedure outlined in the document specified should work for 3.x as well. Make sure to take a copy of the site files (along with sub-directories) and the database content (by exporting the content using tool/utility such as phpMyAdmin) before attempting anything.

Note: In the future, please create one topic per issue. That way, it would be much easier to answer. Also, it would help you track which issues have been resolved.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

karl25
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl25 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi,
If these are the real language strings then there could be an issue. Because there is a space in the constant portion of the language string.
I don't know how, but spaces appeared when i pasted these strings here, every string is fine in my hosting.
Note: In the future, please create one topic per issue. That way, it would be much easier to answer. Also, it would help you track which issues have been resolved.
I understand. Thanks.

Now, what i'm supposed to do ? Reinstall core extensions ?

Regards.

karl25
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl25 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Now the folder overrides does not content files about languages i published in backend anymore : FR and EN, they just disappeared ... i'm wondering if it's because of joomla update, case i installed the version 3.3.3 recently.

Some one has had a similar issue before ?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 am

Also, in 3.3.3, as long as the original en-GB ini files are there, they are loaded before any other language, then overriden if the strings exist in the other language.
Your screen captures display the constants which tend to explain that even your en-GB files are not there. Looks like you got a real messie site.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

karl25
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl25 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello infograf768,

I understand you. Actually, constants you see in screenshots have been added by myself in overrides folder, since override does not work anymore, they appear as they are; and some constants that exist in language folder and that i overridden give their default values now.

Yesterday, i denoted that files in overrides folder disappeared, and i can't explain this away. I'm wondering if other files have been deleted from my hosting. I don't think about hacking, my site has just been installed, and considering google analitycs, everything is fine. May be my hosting is bad... the site is on a shared server and i installed about 10 extensions that are reliable...
I'm wondering is files that disappear from hosting is a common case. What do you think about ?

Regards.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:16 am

karl25 wrote: I'm wondering is files that disappear from hosting is a common case. What do you think about ?
Files should not disappear like that... If you have not done a mistake yourself, then you should consider that you have been hacked.
Have you tried to add the files again in the override folder? Does it work?
If not, try to upload a clean J 3.3.3 to overwrite existing files and test again.

Also, it seems you consider the override lang files as a solution for a great number of constants: it is not the case. The more you have there, the more speed you lose as Joomla checks first if the constant exists elsewhere.

If you are modifying so much a component tmpl .php file (I guess by a template override), you should consider creating a specific ini file which you would load then.

karl25
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl25 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 am

Hello there,
Also, it seems you consider the override lang files as a solution for a great number of constants: it is not the case. The more you have there, the more speed you lose as Joomla checks first if the constant exists elsewhere.
Yes, i've not lots of constants to override, but it seems that even with a few constants, my hosting cannot support my website right. I think i will try with cloud.

Thank you.

ps : Please, how close this topic ?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 am

The topic cannot be closed. However, you can mark the topic as Resolved by doing the following:

- Open the first post in the topic for Edit and type the word [Resolved] in from of the Subject line and save the post. Due to characters limitation, this may not be possible. Also, you cannot open older topics for Edit.

- Open the first post in the topic for Edit and choose the Post Icon that has tick mark in a circle and then save the post.

MikeEllis
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by MikeEllis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:10 pm

I am also having problems with the language override facility in a Joomla 3.3.6 system.

I have defined four overrides for the language en-GB. There was no problem defining these changes in Joomla, and indeed in making the same changes in my Localhost system, it worked fine.

However, in the live environment (shared hosting), the language overrides do NOT take effect.

Through FTP, I have checked that the language overrides are defined correctly and there seems to be no problem. Under language-->overrides there is a file entitled en-GB.override.ini
This file correctly contains :
STATE_PROVINCE_REGION="Company Name"
POSTAL_ZIP_CODE="Postcode"
JLOGOUT="Sign Out"
JLOGIN="Sign in"

I have cleared the Joomla cache and my browser cache.

Can you offer any pointers why this feature may not be working in a live shared hosting environment?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Have you created the override in the right location? In your case it looks like the file should be in ROOT/language/en-GB/
i.e. for the site.

MikeEllis
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by MikeEllis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I created the language overrides using the standard Joomla administration option :
-->Extensions --> Language Manager --> Overrides

See attached screen capture.

So the overrides were created by Joomla (and placed in Joomla directory .... language-->overrides).

If the overrides were to be placed in a different directory then surely Joomla should have done this.

I hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 am

They could have been placed in the administrator/ by mistake.

But looking at your screenshot, I have a doubt concerning some of the constants.
For example:
POSTAL_ZIP_CODE does not exists in core.
We have "PLG_USER_PROFILE_FIELD_POSTAL_CODE_LABEL"

Also, are you using a specific login module, i.e. not Joomla default?
It could be that your 3rd party login module is not using JLOGOUT.

This is what I suggest:
In Global Configuration, set language debug to Yes.
Then on the frontend of the site, go to the page where the override is not working.
Look at the bottom of the page in the "Joomla Debug Console".
Open the accordeon: Language Files Loaded
Examine which ini files are loaded: among them may be the one for your specific extensions. It could contain strings which are not the ones overriden.

MikeEllis
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by MikeEllis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:17 am

Hi, thank you for such a comprehensive reply :) . I have done as you suggested.

Just to confirm that I am only using language en-GB.

First though in answer to your questions :
  • - POSTAL_ZIP_CODE does exist in the core. Under 'Languages --> Overrides' if you do a search on CONSTANT it returns POSTAL_ZIP_CODE. This is what I changed when testing this functionality in localhost and it worked fine. If I search for PLG_USER_PROFILE_FIELD_POSTAL_CODE_LABEL as a value or as a constant, I do not find it.
  • - I am using the standard Joomla login and logout modules.
When I used the language debug, I got the following information on the 'User Profile' screen (see attached screen capture) where according to my overrides :
- the field 'Region' should be replaced with 'Company'.
- the field 'Postal / ZIP code' whould be replaced with 'Postcode'.
However these two overrides did not work (as can be seen).

The specific messages from the debug were :
Joomla! Debug Console
Parsing errors in Language files
None
Language files loaded
**Loaded** : JROOT/language/en-GB/en-GB.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_jsnpoweradmin.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_logout.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_jsnframework.ini
**Not loaded** : JROOT/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_jsnmobilize.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_jsntplframework.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/language/en-GB/en-GB.lib_joomla.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_articlesanywhere.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/language/en-GB/en-GB.tpl_jsn_decor_pro.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_users.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_user_profile.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_content_uniform.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_content_pagebreak.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_content_vote.ini
**Loaded** : JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_debug.ini
Untranslated strings
None

I note that JROOT/language/en-GB/en-GB.ini is loaded.
Through FTP, I can confirm that in the website, the actual overrides that I created are to be found in language-->overrides where there is a file entitled en-GB.override.ini
The contents of this overrides file are my four overrides :
STATE_PROVINCE_REGION="Company Name"
POSTAL_ZIP_CODE="Postcode"
JLOGOUT="Sign out"
JLOGIN="Sign in"

The file JROOT/language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini is not loaded though.
So this would seem to explain why the overrides are not being applied.

What would you advise?.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 am

The debug will never show the override.ini in the loaded section.
I insist that POSTAL_ZIP_CODE does not exist in a vanilla core... but PLG_USER_PROFILE_FIELD_POSTAL_CODE_LABEL does.

See:
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/bl ... le.ini#L30

The plugin ini files are in administrator end, NOT site.

(If, when in language manager->overrides you get in site by researching by constant, the constant "POSTAL_ZIP_CODE" it means it comes from another extension than core)
Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 12.23.56.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 12.23.18.png

MikeEllis
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by MikeEllis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Once again, thank you for your reply and your patience!.
Often the most intriguing problems have the simplest solutions. So it is with some embarrasment that I have to explain what I was doing wrong.

You set me on the correct path by referring to PLG_USER_PROFILE_FIELD_POSTAL_CODE_LABEL.
When I used the Joomla Language override transaction, I could not find this language string.

Conclusion : I must be doing something wrong. ???

After just a little investigation, I discovered that on accessing the language override transaction to create a new override, before you click on the 'New' button, you first need to select the 'Filter' of 'Site' or 'Administrator'.

I appreciate that this is obvious once you realise that this is what you need to do. However I had assumed that both frontend and administrator overrides were created in the same place.

Apologies for wasting your time but it was a genuine error. We live and learn!!. As I said, some of the easiest solutions are so obvious, they are impossible to see.

Thanks. ;)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:24 am

No p. Glad you solved the issue

MAD King
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MAD King » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:54 am

I have the same issue. No matter what string I put into the search filed Joomla comes up with nothing.
Only English (United Kingdom) en-GB is installed.
There must be a bug in it.

Joomla 3.3.6

JimmyFangu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JimmyFangu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:19 am

I'm trying to change the Date format in the administrator from Y/M/D to D/M/Y which should be simple enough in Joomla 3.3.6 > Language Manager > Overrides > Location: Administrator. (It displays the format correctly on the site). I'm using the JCE editor and hence edited WF_PARAM_DATE_FORMAT (en-GB/en-GB.com_jce.ini) with absolutely no effect. So I changed JGLOBAL_DATE_FORMAT_LABEL to d/m/Y H:i:s in the 'Text' field and ticked the 'For both locations' box. 'Save and Close' and check under Publishing in the Article Editor > no change! When I go back to the Language Manage, 'For both locations' box is now unticked.

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:09 am

JGLOBAL_DATE_FORMAT_LABEL="Date Format"
is a label, not a date format and exists ONLY in back-end
ROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.ini

The strings to look for (generally speaking as these are used to display the dates of items) in site as well as in back-end xx-XX.ini files are
; Date format

DATE_FORMAT_LC="l, d F Y"
DATE_FORMAT_LC1="l, d F Y"
DATE_FORMAT_LC2="l, d F Y H:i"
DATE_FORMAT_LC3="d F Y"
DATE_FORMAT_LC4="Y-m-d"
DATE_FORMAT_JS1="y-m-d"
For example:

Code: Select all

<td class="nowrap small hidden-phone">
							<?php echo JHtml::_('date', $item->created, JText::_('DATE_FORMAT_LC4')); ?>
						</td>
displays the dates of the articles in the Articles Manager date column

[JCE is NOT concerned at all by the display of dates in the core J strings.]

When the calendar is used (i.e. when editing an article, "Publishing tab"), the format does NOT depend on strings, but from the code in the xml.

Example for Articles edit in backend:

<field name="publish_up" type="calendar"
			label="COM_CONTENT_FIELD_PUBLISH_UP_LABEL" description="COM_CONTENT_FIELD_PUBLISH_UP_DESC"
			format="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" size="22"
			filter="user_utc" />
Hope it helps

JimmyFangu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JimmyFangu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:06 am

Thank you for the detailed reply, infograf768!
JGLOBAL_DATE_FORMAT_LABEL="Date Format" - Yep, got that. I just searched for "Date_Format" in the right column of the Override screen and that came up...

I have tried all these DATE_FORMAT_LC/1/2/3 and checked in the Article manager. None change the date format in that list, they remain Y/M/D. I can not find anywhere where the format actually changes when implementing these overrides.

"When the calendar is used (i.e. when editing an article, "Publishing tab"), the format does NOT depend on strings, but from the code in the xml." Assuming that the xml file you mention is in 'administrator' > 'language', I only find 2 xml files in the en-GB folder: 'en-GB.xml' and 'install.xml' and neither contains code that looks like your example. So I don't know where to look for the xml file you mention.

I have by now spent about 6+hrs trying to solve this issue and I'm wondering why this is such a complicated deal...? For future Joomla releases I have the following request: When installing the CMS on the server you select the language in one of the setup screens. Right below the language field should be an option to select the date/time format and that would then apply for the whole site, front and backend and all modules - just like the language. That would make my life a lot easier ;)

Thanks again!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:39 pm

For calendar, the xml concerned are not language related. See:
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/bl ... e.xml#L134

For the back-end articles manager, see here:
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/bl ... t.php#L216

French language uses `
DATE_FORMAT_LC4="j/m/y"
`
therefore we get:
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.24.32.png
en-GB uses `
DATE_FORMAT_LC4="Y-m-d"
`
and we get:
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.25.00.png
For the frontend article display (this is default setting in core, your template may differ):
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/bl ... t.php#L117

Here I decided to change the en-GB format to the French one for admin and site:
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.33.53.png
Which gives:
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.36.07.png
and displays:
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.38.53.png

Pero28
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pero28 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 pm

I use J3 last version.

I am from Croatia and Croatian date format is dd.mm.yyyy.

I changed Override on Admin and Site, pict:
HR1.png
I have situation, pict:
HR2.png
HR4.png
Can I change date format on this admin pages?

Thanks

Pero28
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pero28 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm

This is miising pict...
HR3.png
in one post I can send only 3 pictures.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 am

Pero28 wrote:This is miising pict...
HR3.png
in one post I can send only 3 pictures.
Bug indeed. The date format is hardcoded in the back-end modules.
Please see and test:
https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/5589

Concerning Calendar, the format is compulsory as it is a sql format.

pe7er
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by pe7er » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks for the fix JM!
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator
Company website: https://db8.nl/en/ - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Netherlands
The best website: https://the-best-website.com

Pero28
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pero28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks. It works.

Now I have problem with calendar.js and Croatian format dd.mm.yyyy.
HR4.png
I tried change behavior.php

'DEF_DATE_FORMAT'	=> "%Y-%m-%d",
'TT_DATE_FORMAT'	=> "%Y-%m-%d",
to:

'DEF_DATE_FORMAT'	=> "%d.%m.%Y.",
'TT_DATE_FORMAT'	=> "%d.%m.%Y.",
it works in pickup window, but doesn't work in fields.

It's a problem.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:53 am

As I said above, no easy solution exists for the calendar.
We can display it a bit differently for a specific non-Gregorian calendar, but the format is the same.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”