BUG-Menu Item Association redirecting to incorrect URL

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

BUG-Menu Item Association redirecting to incorrect URL

Post by mkoontz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Hello,

I have setup a multilingual website with Greek and English. Everything works fine except for one menu item.

The domain is http://www.chiropractic.gr
I have "associations" setup for all of the menu items. I also have several different menu's which was done in order to have nice looking URL's.

We have the following menu's in Greek and English:
Main Menu
News
List of members

In the Greek and English Main Menu I have added a menu item alias which points to the News and List of Members menu's.

If you click on the List of members menu item from the main menu in English, which is a menu item alias for the First top level link of the List of Members Menu, and then click on the Greek flag the menu item association works properly and redirects to it's Greek counterpart.

Now if you visit the link for the News on the Main Menu item in either Greek or English it will display the appropriate information. For that link it is setup as a "Category Blog" for everything under the "Latest News" or "Tελευταία νέα" categories.

However, let's say you are on the English side and want the Greek version and click on the Greek Flag, instead of redirecting to it's Greek counterpart it is redirecting to a 2nd level Greek News menu item which lists the latest news in "Category List" instead of "Category Blog".

I have checked and double checked the associations but nothing I do is fixing the problem.

I have tried the following things.
1) purged the cache
2) purged the expired cache
3) purged the Gantry template cache
4) deleted browsing history
5) tried viewing the links from a different computer, tablet and phone
6) fixed the database with the Joomla database fixer
7) fixed the database with Akeeba's Admin Tools database fixer
8 ) I have removed the menu item associations for all the menu items involved, repeated steps 1-7 above, then re-added the associations, repeated steps 1-7 again yet the problem remains.

I have also turned off Caching and gzip compression.

So you don't have to search for the links I'm referring to here they are:
English News Menu Item:
http://www.chiropractic.gr/en/news
When you are viewing that link and then click on the Greek flag it should show the following URL, it's Greek counterpart:
http://www.chiropractic.gr/el/eidiseis
Instead it shows this URL in Greek:
http://www.chiropractic.gr/el/eidiseis/lista-eidisewn

The same happens if you are on the Greek News URL above. If you are visiting that link and click on the English flag it should show you English News Item listed above but instead it directs you to the following link:
http://www.chiropractic.gr/en/news/news-list

As mentioned before, all of the other menu item associations work just fine with no problems. Outside of creating a new menu item and replacing the current ones in both English and Greek and creating new menu item associations I'm not sure what else I can do to try and resolve this issue. Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Michael

** UPDATE **
I would like to add that I just did a test on a test site. I copied each news menu item from the Greek and English News Menu's. They ended up with the alias news-2 and eidiseis-2.
I created the association between them and when clicking on the flags in the language switcher it switched to it's counterpart in the other language just as it should.
I moved all the news articles that were under them to the copies I just made.
I then deleted the old Greek and English news menu items and emptied the trash.
I then renamed the copied links to have the same name as the old ones to maintain the URL schema we have in place and for SEO.
Even though the menu items switched correctly before to it's language counterpart, once the menu item name and alias were renamed the same problem was present.

This seems like it is more of a database issue however the built in Joomla database fix didn't do anything for this problem. Can someone recommend how I can fix this manually by going in to the database, what to look for and replace, etc...?

Again, this is the only menu item that the menu item associations are not working properly on. All the others function properly.

** UPDATE 02 **
I tried removing the menu item associations on the test site for the 2 menu items in question listed above. I did everything in steps 1-7 listed above and the wrong menu item association remains. It has been like that for close to 2 hours now, more than enough time for any remnants of the cache to be purged especially after manually clearing the cache, expired cache, etc...

Unfortunately, even though the associations were removed for those 2 menu items, when selecting the opposite language when viewing either one of those menu items the site is still redirecting to the same incorrect URL instead of redirecting to the home page of the language selected as it should if there is no association specified.

I'm also on a different computer at the moment as well so there was no stored browser cache here that could be interfering even if it didn't cleared out.

Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.4) : 4th March 2015 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: Joomla! 3.3.6-Stable (Ember) 01-October-2014
Joomla! Platform :: Joomla Platform 13.1.0-Stable (Curiosity) 24-Apr-2013
Joomla! Configured :: Yes | Read-Only (444) | Owner: nikos (uid: 1/gid: 1) | Group: nikos (gid: 1) | Valid For: 3.3
Configuration Options :: Offline: 0 | SEF: 1 | SEF Suffix: 0 | SEF ReWrite: 1 | .htaccess/web.config: No (ReWrite Enabled but no .htaccess?) | GZip: 0 | Cache: 0 | FTP Layer: 0 | SSL: 0 | Error Reporting: default | Site Debug: 0 | Language Debug: 0 | Default Access: 1 | Unicode Slugs: 0 | Database Credentials Present: Yes

Host Configuration :: OS: FreeBSD | OS Version: 10.1-RELEASE-p6 | Technology: amd64 | Web Server: lighttpd/1.4.35 | Encoding: gzip, deflate | Doc Root: /home/www/nikos/chiropractic.gr/www | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.4.38 | PHP API: fpm-fcgi | Session Path Writable: No | Display Errors: | Error Reporting: 22527 | Log Errors To: | Last Known Error: | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: | Safe Mode: | Open Base: | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 64M | Max. POST Size: 64M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Max. Execution Time: 30 | Memory Limit: 128M

MySQL Configuration :: Version: 5.5.42 (Client:mysqlnd 5.0.10 - 20111026 - $Id: c85105d7c6f7d70d609bb4c000257868a40840ab $) | Host: --protected-- (--protected--) | Collation: utf8_general_ci (Character Set: utf8) | Database Size: 13.25 MiB | #of Tables: 92
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: Core (5.4.38) | date (5.4.38) | ereg () | libxml () | pcre () | Reflection ($Id: f6367cdb4e3f392af4a6d441a6641de87c2e50c4 $) | SPL (0.2) | hash (1.0) | session () | cgi-fcgi () | sockets () | intl (PECL-3.0.0) | gd () | PDFlib (3.0.4) | bcmath () | bz2 () | calendar () | ctype () | curl () | dom (20031129) | standard (5.4.38) | json (1.2.1) | gettext () | tokenizer (0.1) | sqlite3 (0.7) | ftp () | xml () | SimpleXML (0.1) | xmlreader (0.1) | posix () | PDO (1.0.4dev) | fileinfo (1.0.5) | mysqlnd (mysqlnd 5.0.10 - 20111026 - $Id: c85105d7c6f7d70d609bb4c000257868a40840ab $) | openssl () | mysql (1.0) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | mbstring () | pdo_sqlite (1.0.1) | iconv () | imap () | zlib (2.0) | mcrypt () | zip (1.11.0) | exif (1.4 $Id: 7f95ff43ea7cc9a2c41a912863ed70069c0e34c5 $) | Phar (2.0.1) | filter (0.11.0) | xsl (0.1) | xmlwriter (0.1) | xmlrpc (0.51) | mysqli (0.1) | soap () | tidy (2.0) | mhash () | ionCube Loader () | Zend Engine (2.4.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: suhosin |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: No | Server SU: No | PHP SU: No | Custom SU (LiteSpeed/Cloud/Grid): Yes
Potential Ownership Issues: No
Folder Permissions :: wrote:Core Folders :: images/ (755) | components/ (755) | modules/ (755) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (755) | logs/ (755) | tmp/ (755) | administrator/components/ (755) | administrator/modules/ (755) | administrator/language/ (755) | administrator/templates/ (755) |

Elevated Permissions (First 10) ::
Extensions Discovered :: wrote:Components :: SITE :: com_mailto (3.0.0) | com_wrapper (3.0.0) | WF_CLEANUP_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_TEXTCASE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_PRINT_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_LISTS_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_ARTICLE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_NONBREAKING_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_FONTCOLOR_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_XHTMLXTRAS_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_SEARCHREPLACE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_SOURCE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_IMGMANAGER_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_FULLSCREEN_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_FORMATSELECT_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_CONTEXTMENU_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_LINK_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_ANCHOR_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_VISUALCHARS_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_TABLE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_DIRECTIONALITY_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_KITCHENSINK_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_STYLESELECT_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_CLIPBOARD_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_FONTSELECT_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_MEDIA_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_LAYER_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_INLINEPOPUPS_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_STYLE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_VISUALBLOCKS_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_PREVIEW_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_CHARMAP_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_FONTSIZESELECT_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_SPELLCHECKER_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_AUTOSAVE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_BROWSER_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_AGGREGATOR_VINE_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_AGGREGATOR_[youtube]_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_AGGREGATOR_VIMEO_TITLE (2.4.6) | K2 Links for JCE Link (2.2) | WF_LINKS_JOOMLALINKS_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_POPUPS_WINDOW_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_POPUPS_JCEMEDIABOX_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_LINK_SEARCH_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_FILESYSTEM_JOOMLA_TITLE (2.4.6) | WF_MEDIAPLAYER_JCEPLAYER_TITLE (2.4.6) |
Components :: ADMIN :: com_config (3.0.0) | com_modules (3.0.0) | Admintools (3.4.4) | com_finder (3.0.0) | com_postinstall (3.2.0) | com_menus (3.0.0) | com_cpanel (3.0.0) | com_users (3.0.0) | com_search (3.0.0) | COM_DBREPLACER (3.3.1FREE) | com_cache (3.0.0) | com_installer (3.0.0) | com_newsfeeds (3.0.0) | Akeeba (4.1.2) | com_languages (3.0.0) | com_media (3.0.0) | com_content (3.0.0) | com_templates (3.0.0) | com_categories (3.0.0) | com_redirect (3.0.0) | com_tags (3.1.0) | com_ajax (3.2.0) | com_checkin (3.0.0) | com_contenthistory (3.2.0) | com_weblinks (3.0.0) | com_banners (3.0.0) | com_login (3.0.0) | Widgetkit (1.5.5) | com_joomlaupdate (3.0.0) | com_admin (3.0.0) | com_messages (3.0.0) | com_plugins (3.0.0) | JCE (2.4.6) | Unknown (-) | COM_NONUMBERMANAGER (4.7.1) | Unknown (-) | Gantry (4.1.27) |

Modules :: SITE :: mod_articles_popular (3.0.0) | mod_random_image (3.0.0) | Widgetkit Twitter (1.0.0) | mod_users_latest (3.0.0) | mod_articles_categories (3.0.0) | mod_footer (3.0.0) | mod_whosonline (3.0.0) | mod_articles_category (3.0.0) | mod_articles_news (3.0.0) | mod_articles_archive (3.0.0) | mod_finder (3.0.0) | mod_related_items (3.0.0) | mod_tags_popular (3.1.0) | mod_syndicate (3.0.0) | mod_languages (3.0.0) | mod_login (3.0.0) | mod_wrapper (3.0.0) | mod_articles_latest (3.0.0) | mod_menu (3.0.0) | mod_banners (3.0.0) | mod_search (3.0.0) | mod_feed (3.0.0) | RokNavMenu (2.0.7) | mod_weblinks (3.0.0) | mod_custom (3.0.0) | mod_stats (3.0.0) | mod_breadcrumbs (3.0.0) | Widgetkit (1.0.0) | mod_tags_similar (3.1.0) |
Modules :: ADMIN :: mod_toolbar (3.0.0) | mod_submenu (3.0.0) | mod_stats_admin (3.0.0) | mod_logged (3.0.0) | mod_status (3.0.0) | mod_title (3.0.0) | mod_quickicon (3.0.0) | mod_login (3.0.0) | mod_version (3.0.0) | mod_multilangstatus (3.0.0) | MOD_CACHECLEANER (3.6.0FREE) | mod_popular (3.0.0) | mod_menu (3.0.0) | mod_latest (3.0.0) | mod_feed (3.0.0) | mod_custom (3.0.0) |

Plugins :: SITE :: plg_installer_webinstaller (1.0.5) | plg_user_profile (3.0.0) | plg_user_contactcreator (3.0.0) | plg_user_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_gmail (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_cookie (3.0.0) | plg_authentication_ldap (3.0.0) | plg_finder_newsfeeds (3.0.0) | plg_finder_categories (3.0.0) | plg_finder_weblinks (3.0.0) | plg_finder_tags (3.0.0) | plg_finder_contacts (3.0.0) | plg_finder_content (3.0.0) | plg_system_remember (3.0.0) | PLG_SYSTEM_CACHECLEANER (3.6.0FREE) | System - Widgetkit ZOO (3.1.0) | plg_system_log (3.0.0) | System - Admin Tools (3.4.4) | System - Widgetkit Joomla (1.0.0) | PLG_SYSTEM_BETTERPREVIEW (3.3.3FREE) | System - jSGCache (1.2.4) | plg_sys_topofthepage (2.0) | plg_system_sef (3.0.0) | System - RokExtender (2.0.0) | plg_system_redirect (3.0.0) | PLG_SYSTEM_ARTICLESANYWHERE (3.8.3FREE) | plg_system_logout (3.0.0) | plg_system_cache (3.0.0) | plg_system_languagecode (3.0.0) | Security - jHackGuard (1.4.2) | System - Widgetkit (1.0.0) | plg_system_debug (3.0.0) | plg_system_p3p (3.0.0) | System - Gantry (4.1.27) | PLG_SYSTEM_NNFRAMEWORK (15.1.6) | plg_system_highlight (3.0.0) | plg_system_languagefilter (3.0.0) | plg_search_newsfeeds (3.0.0) | plg_search_categories (3.0.0) | plg_search_weblinks (3.0.0) | plg_search_tags (3.0.0) | plg_search_contacts (3.0.0) | plg_search_content (3.0.0) | plg_twofactorauth_totp (3.2.0) | plg_twofactorauth_yubikey (3.2.0) | plg_quickicon_joomlaupdate (3.0.0) | plg_quickicon_jcefilebrowser (2.4.6) | plg_quickicon_extensionupdate (3.0.0) | plg_editors_jce (2.4.6) | plg_editors_codemirror (3.15) | plg_editors_tinymce (4.1.2) | plg_content_emailcloak (3.0.0) | AllVideos (by JoomlaWorks) (4.6.1) | AllVideos (by JoomlaWorks) (4.6.1) | plg_content_finder (3.0.0) | plg_content_pagenavigation (3.0.0) | plg_content_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_content_vote (3.0.0) | Content - Widgetkit (1.0.0) | plg_content_pagebreak (3.0.0) | plg_content_loadmodule (3.0.0) | plg_captcha_recaptcha (3.0.0) | plg_extension_joomla (3.0.0) | plg_editors-xtd_article (3.0.0) | PLG_EDITORS-XTD_BETTERPREVIEW (3.3.3FREE) | plg_editors-xtd_image (3.0.0) | plg_editors-xtd_readmore (3.0.0) | PLG_EDITORS-XTD_ARTICLESANYWHE (3.8.3FREE) | plg_editors-xtd_pagebreak (3.0.0) |
Templates Discovered :: wrote:Templates :: SITE :: gantry (4.1.27) |
Templates :: ADMIN :: isis (1.0) | hathor (3.0.0) |

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: BUG-Menu Item Association redirecting to incorrect URL

Post by mkoontz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 am

** UPDATE 03 **

I believe there may be a bug or that somehow the database has been corrupted. I'm not sure which.

I know for multilingual sites, selecting an alternate language when viewing a menu item that does not have a specified "association" for that particular language, the site will redirect to the home page of the language selected.

The menu items I mentioned in my previous post were still redirecting to the incorrect menu item when selecting the opposite language even after I removed their associations on the test site to see if that would clear it out.

Since it did not make any difference and they still redirect to the incorrect URL even the following morning I decided to do a test and remove the menu item association for some other menu items. After removing the menu item associations I cleared the cache, purged the expired cache, cleared the browser cache and went to extension manager to fix the database. Unfortunately this did nothing and every menu item I removed the association for continues to retain the association it previously had!

What this latest test tells me is that this is either
A) some kind of bug or
B) the database is corrupt and I need to know how to fix it.

So again, any help from the experts on this would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

Michael

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:15 am

Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:35 am

Thank you for replying. Those links you tested are redirecting to their correct language counterparts. As I outlined above
So you don't have to search for the links I'm referring to here they are:
English News Menu Item:
When you are viewing that link and then click on the Greek flag it should show the following URL, it's Greek counterpart:
http://www.chiropractic.gr/el/eidiseis/lista-eidisewn
and vice versa
Greek News Menu Item:
When you are viewing that link and then click on the English flag it should show the following URL, it's English counterpart:
Instead it shows this URL in English:
http://www.chiropractic.gr/en/news/news-list

As I mentioned in my previous post, I did a test on a test site I setup and removed the menu item associations and the problem remains, even without the menu item associations they still redirect to the incorrect url instead of the home page of that particular language.

I believe the problem I am experiencing is similar to this thread:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=647935
However my site is a Joomla 3.x site. I even upgraded the test site to Joomla 3.4 to see if it fixed anything but it didn't work.

Clearing the caches does nothing to help. Please review my 2nd post on this thread, Update 03, where I describe how even after removing the menu item associations on the test site for other menu items and clearing the cache the site continued to redirect the URL's to the previously specified associations instead of redirecting to the home page as it should when there are no associations specified.

To me this means the problem isn't just associated with the 2 original menu items but rather an issue with the language switcher cache.

Thanks again for looking in to this!

regards,

Michael

P.S. if you like I can provide you with admin credentials for the test site or the live site. The only difference between the two sites now is that the test site has been upgraded to Joomla 3.4 where the live site is still at 3.3.6.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 am

Have you set the module switcher(s) to No Caching?

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:25 am

infograf768 wrote:Have you set the module switcher(s) to No Caching?
I have not changed that setting in the language switcher module, they were set at "No Caching" by default.
Also, site caching is also turned off as well as gzip compression.

regards,

Michael

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:51 am

Can you test with a default joomla template like Protostar?
It could be due to the parameters in your Gantry template.

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:35 am

infograf768 wrote:Can you test with a default joomla template like Protostar?
It could be due to the parameters in your Gantry template.
OK, I just finished setting up the test site to use Joomla's Protostar template for both the English and Greek site. It's not pretty but it works for the testing purposes you requested.

I Duplicated the template saved it to have a second one set for the English only and used the Original Protostar for the "Default" template. I also created 2 new basic Joomla menu modules, one for each language, with the menu class of nav-pills and created a new language switcher module to go between each language and the problem remains.

You can check it out for yourself here:
http://test.chiropractic.gr/en
The site is offline so you can use this for Non-Admin offline access
Username: gantry
Password: gantry

Here are the links again with "www" replaced with "test"

English News Menu Item:
http://test.chiropractic.gr/en/news
http://test.chiropractic.gr/el/eidiseis
http://test.chiropractic.gr/el/eidiseis/lista-eidisewn

and vice versa

Greek News Menu Item:
http://test.chiropractic.gr/el/eidiseis
When you are viewing that link and then click on the English flag it should show the following URL, it's English counterpart:
http://test.chiropractic.gr/en/news
Instead it shows this URL in English:
http://test.chiropractic.gr/en/news/news-list

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 am

Hmmm
I guess it is best if you send me via PM a superuser credentials. I will look at it.

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:59 am

infograf768 wrote:Hmmm
I guess it is best if you send me via PM a superuser credentials. I will look at it.
I have sent the PM with the credentials. They are good for both the live and test sites.

You will notice on the test site that I have removed the associations for the News, News List, and for the links yet the associations remain.

If you look at the live site, the correct association is present, and always has been present, but yet it redirects to the incorrect menu item.

Also, the News and News list menu items in the main menu for each of the languages are "menu item aliases" which point to the News menu which is where you will be able to work with the associations.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

thanks again!

Michael

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:20 am

As I told you by PM, it looks like a Category list menu item can't be a child of a Category blog menu item, at least for the same category.

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 am

infograf768 wrote:As I told you by PM, it looks like a Category list menu item can't be a child of a Category blog menu item, at least for the same category.
Thank you very much for figuring out the problem!

Does this mean this is a bug with Joomla?

I'd like to think that something like this was possible and not restricted in the possible layouts.

Also, I have restored the test site from a backup of the live site. Your credentials are still good.

I unpublished the child menu item News List (category list layout) and the parent News menu item (category blog layout) association worked as you said.

Any ideas on what can be done or do I just need to think about doing a small redesign around that menu item?

Thanks again!

regards,

Michael

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:42 pm

infograf768 wrote:As I told you by PM, it looks like a Category list menu item can't be a child of a Category blog menu item, at least for the same category.
I think the problem may not be as simple as that. Since unpublishing the Category list menu item allowed the associations to work properly I decided to create a new "news list" menu for each language in which the top level menu item was the news list that was the child menu item from the news menu. Even though the category list menu item is no longer the child of a category blog menu item the problem remains.

The top level main menu's for each language had menu item aliases pointing to the news menu's and the news list menu's for each language. The alias for the news lists on the main menu's was again a child item of the news menu item alias. Moving the news list to the menu root still did nothing to solve the issue.

The only resolution is if the news list (category list) menu item is disabled. Since, as you said, they are pulling from the same category as the news (category blog) menu item.

Is it possible there is a bug in Joomla in which having a "category blog" menu item and a "category list" menu item, regardless of their menu location, that pull information from the same category creates this kind of problem?

Regards,

Michael

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:50 pm

I have just proved that this problem is reproducible on a new site.
You'll notice that if you click on the Category Blog menu item and then click on the flag for the opposite language it will take you to the Category List menu item for that language instead of going directly to the Category Blog menu item like it should.

The credentials I setup for you on the other site will work on this new one.
http://joomassociations.xeiropraktiki.info

No 3rd party extensions have been installed. It is a new Joomla 3.4 site setup for multilingual with English and Greek.

Please have a look and let me know what you think.

regards,

Michael

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:38 pm

The router in Joomla operates in the opposite direction. It fetches the Category and search for Menu items that point to it.

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:The router in Joomla operates in the opposite direction. It fetches the Category and search for Menu items that point to it.
Thank you for your reply. However I fail to understand how that explains the issue. I have 2 menu items that point to the same category, one displays the category as a blog and the other as a list of articles. In both instances, the new clean site and our associations site, when viewing the category blog view menu item and clicking on the flag to change the site language, defaults to the category list view instead of the category blog view that the menu item is associated with. Why doesn't it find the category blog view menu item like it should when both are published? I thought the whole purpose of the menu item and article associations in a multilingual site was to point the site to the menu item we want displayed in the other languages. To me this just seems like something that shouldn't happen.

regards,

Michael

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:21 am

TBH, I can't reproduce your issue on my test site

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:44 pm

infograf768 wrote:Found out though that setting the associations for the category menu items ONLY in the menu or ONLY in the category solves the issue.
Thank you once again for looking in to this. I can indeed confirm that your suggestion of removing the associations of either the menu items OR the category items changes the behavior and the associations work. If both are in place it breaks. I have made the appropriate changes to both the live site and the test site and the associations work just fine.

Out of curiosity, should this be reported to be looked in to?

regards,

Michael

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”